• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Insider: Running back Larry Johnson SIGNS WITH REDSKINS

BGO

Next visitor up: running back Larry Johnson. A league source confirmed this afternoon that Johnson is scheduled to visit Redskins Park on Thursday. The news was first reported by ESPN.com. Johnson is the oft-troubled running back who was released mid-season by the Chiefs last year after making offensive remarks. He finished the year with the Bengals as a reserve. On the season, Johnson had 581 yards on 178 carries and no touchdowns. His last 1,000-yard season was 2006, when he rushed for a career-high 1,789 yards and had 17 touchdowns.

eus.gif

More...

Seriously? This is the first visit that has seriously raised my eyebrows (although the reports of Antonio Bryant visiting got close). Even just looking at LJ doesn't sit well with me.

Seriously? This is the first visit that has seriously raised my eyebrows (although the reports of Antonio Bryant visiting got close). Even just looking at LJ doesn't sit well with me.

Considering Shanahan's history of thinking he can use anyone as a running back, it doesn't surprise me.

Also, as anyone with a Denver RB on their fantasy roster can attest, Shanahan usually has 27 RBs on the roster at any given time.

Considering Shanahan's history of thinking he can use anyone as a running back, it doesn't surprise me.
Well if any running back would suffice, how about one that doesn't publicly call his head coach gay, beat and spit on women, and constantly bitch about playing time?

I think ONLY positive that would come from signing this scumbag is if it creates a healthy competition at the RB position and leads to both him and Clinton reaching their full potential.

I agree with Neo, this doesn't really sit well with me either.

I'd prefer Parker. He seems to fit the cutback scheme better than LJ although maybe they want a guy who can run tough inside, especially around the goalline.

just like other guys who have come and gone....I'm fine with this.

They aren't going to offer him a big deal in any situation.

I'd rather have Willie Parker or Brian Westbrook to Larry Johnson.

But the nice thing about players visiting Ashburn now:
They don't automatically sign contracts.

I'm not thrilled with Johnson either, but it's a new day and visiting here doesn't mean much. Besides as Lanky says, "Shanahan usually has 27 RB's on the roster at any given time".

I would like the signing of Johnson. It would give us a power runner, and he only has 1400 carries in his career. Compare that with Portis's 2100. Yeah, he's 30, but 700 carries less. For the most part he has been a decent back. If he had a better line during the Chief years, he could have bested 1000 yards a couple more times.

I think he is the best back on the market. Better than broke down Willie, Old Tomlinson, and I would have even taken him over Thomas Jones, only because of the carries and I think Jones is going downhill from here on out. In their primes, a different story.

I think him and Portis would make a decent backfield. If we could get Alridge or another speedy back to step up, I think it could be a dangerous backfield. A talkative one, but dangerous. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad being on Johnson wants to be a Skin and Portis wants to play for Shanny.

By the way, I bet Portis looses some weight and comes in faster than we have seen him in years past.

Keep in mind that when Johnson played for the Chiefs last year he avg. 2.9 yards a carry. He went to the Bengals and that jumped to 4.4. He still has something left.

The question for me isn’t if Larry has something left it’s if his running style fits this offense and what he would cost. We’re also talking about a guy who shouldn’t see much playing time this year anyway. Veteran depth is great but veteran depth at RB is hardly ever a good thing.

I don’t see the logic in bringing him in, or any of the re-tread back for that matter. If we’ve reserved ourselves to the idea that Portis will be here next season, and it seems that we have, the focus should be bringing in some fresh legs to prep things for 2011 when you have to think Portis will be gone.

I think this may be a move to try to motivate Portis more than anything.

Olandis Gary anyone? Look, I have to agree with Hogfever. We do not need some re-tread RB when it has been proven over the years the Shanahan can create a 1,000 yard RB from a mid-round draft choice.

A buddy and I have been discuss the LJ situation. Like I told him many guys have come for a visit and left with no contract.

I also was thinking that Shanahan is a strong coach. Think Larry Johnson knows he would have to toe the line with him. Johnson could also push Portis. Portis would know that there is someone very capable behind him if he doesn't work hard.

Well. He's a Skin now. Hope Allahan knows what they're doing. I'm willing to give them a chance here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Well. He's a Skin now. Hope Allahan knows what they're doing. I'm willing to give them a chance here.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Considering it's a 3 year/3.5 mil deal with incentives that COULD reach 12 mil, I think it's a good insurance policy in case Portis gets hurt or decides he doesn't want to work hard anymore.

I don't know much about the guy as a person...but I do like him as a back and think it's a terrific pickup. Thinking he's gonna push Portis, too, which ain't a bad thing at all.

This also probably takes the RB position off our wish-list for that 2nd round pick..which means, in my mind, that we're all QB/OT in the first two rounds now.....in one form or fashion. This is a very telling pickup and helps us get a clearer picture of where the guys' heads are at in the rebuilding process.

I'm not thrilled about having two aging backs on the roster, but if they can spell one another for a season or two, and we draft someone young this year or next, it could work out ok.

EDIT: Not interested in drafting an RB in an early round. Maybe 3rd or 4th, seeing if he'll develop.

I like it. For one major reason-it's not what I would have done. But I'm not an experienced successful NFL HC either. Johnson's 31, sure-and a past history of "character issues". But he does have skills-the kind that Shanahan has a history of bringing to an uexpected level in RBs. And from what I've seen so far-Shanny 's going to be running the tightest ship the Redskins have experienced in a decade-maybe more. This is causing me to shelve my opinions of prospective player's personalities and to a large extent behavioral questions until I see evidence that they will permitted to interfere with performance as a player-and as I said I'm not getting a read from Shanny that this kind of thing is going to be happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.