• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins’ Moves Beggar Question About Quarterbacks

Sounds Familiar.... egh.

What I see happening with Beck is teams stacking the box with 8 and challenging the Redskins and Beck to prove they can connect down the field.

Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Sounds oh so familiar...

I actually don't have the same gloom and doom about the QB situation as erryone else seems to. I'm not expecting any stat titles, but teams have performed well with similarly 'talented' Qubes [rhymes with...Pubes].

We're building. Hopefully we're better...enough. We didn't have any real options at QB, did we? I don't think we're actively gambling on next year's draft, but when the right guy comes available to us at a decent price, we'll jump.

Let's get better. Let's do this.

IMO Rex gets the starting gig back.

Sounds oh so familiar...

I actually don't have the same gloom and doom about the QB situation as erryone else seems to...
Not everyone. :)

I've been suggesting since the Beck thing started gaining traction this spring that he just might end up being the biggest surprise of all in DC. I have no illusions he's another Drew Brees, even if I am at least allowing for the possibility. What I DO think is not too far-fetched is that he could turn out to be perhaps a Rich Gannon. Someone who is well suited to the rollout, quick-release, timing-based offense we want to run here.

I will not be too surprised if Beck does NOT prove capable of running the offense well enough to win games, but I'll also not be surprised if he can. I've watched every play I can find of him, both in college and the NFL, and I keep seeing the same thing. He can move. He has the quickest release of any QB I've seen in burgundy and gold in ... a very very long time. A trait which makes lingering concerns over the OL a little less harrowing. We all know what a difference a quick release, from any platform, means in terms of helping an OL in pass pro, right?

Beck also sees the field. He seems decisive. He SEEMS to be a pretty smart guy. Is is a golden boy with a cannon arm like Elway? Nope. But he doesn't have to be. All he has to be is efficient and consistent.

I think he has a chance.

So Om, another Jake Plummer? :betterwink:

I would suggest to you that a team with better personnel than last year AND a better passer will finish better.

[/i][/size]

the problem with this logic is you have to ask "Are the teams you play also improving and to what degree comparatively"....

Not everyone. :)

I've watched every play I can find of him, both in college and the NFL, and I keep seeing the same thing. He can move. He has the quickest release of any QB I've seen in burgundy and gold in ... a very very long time. A trait which makes lingering concerns over the OL a little less harrowing. We all know what a difference a quick release, from any platform, means in terms of helping an OL in pass pro, right?

Beck also sees the field. He seems decisive. He SEEMS to be a pretty smart guy. Is is a golden boy with a cannon arm like Elway? Nope. But he doesn't have to be. All he has to be is efficient and consistent.

I think he has a chance.

Interesting. I saw this today about recent Beck performance in camp which would seem to contradict your observations (bolded):

-Beck’s arm strength is going to be a weakness. He doesn’t throw with much zip and anything he threw towards the sideline wasn’t crisp. He did connect on some deep throws, but he doesn’t have a quick release and has been indecisive at times.

Link

From what we have gleaned so far, it appears Beck is having trouble with his accuracy and for a guy that looks to make his living like a Chad Pennington or Ty Detmer, on the short and intermediate routes that is the kiss of death.

Just based on what I see on the surface my guess is that both Grossman and Clemens are better equiped to play QB in the NFL than Beck.

This would have been the worst year to get a rookie qb. Rooks are always behind and struggling to catch up. You remove the OTAs, mini camps, and other all the other supports and then put him behind our line? We'd turn a qb into another shell shocked David Carr or Jason Campbell.

The reason big Ben flourished was because he was set in a system that was comfortable. Now, we likely won't be able to put a qb in that place next year, but next year already looks better. Before the draft we had a shoddy o-line, thin wide receivers, on running back who was fragile and good tight ends. Next year, we look to have a decent receiver corp and an o-line that's been bolstered somewhat and has had time to learn to play together (plus another piece wouldn't hurt), and hopefully at least an average running back committee.

That's a situation you can bring a qb into.

Come on. Roethlisberger was a high #1 pick and has a legit NFL arm.

There is no comparison to Beck. Beck is in an audition to see IF he can be an NFL quarterback.

And right now a fair process to me would lead to Grossman starting.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I don't think burgold was comparing the two, he was comparing the two situations. Roethlisberger coming into an established, winning system with a solid OL verse a Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker coming into a rebuild with a shady OL.

geez....there hasn't even been one full ctc drill and we're anointing starting QBs? gimme a break!

1) Beck is unknown...so he represents an opportunity to improve. that is the attraction.

2) We know what RG can do. opinions vary.....I puke every time I see him on the field...but others are happy with a guy who can execute parts of the offense correctly 70-80% of the time. I see him as a continual disaster waiting to happen....kinda like JC every time he dropped back. when's the next fumble, pick, stupid decision gonna happen - that is RG in a nutshell. little mobility either.

3) Jets castoff? weak arm...but we don't know what Shanahan expects from him...so another unknown.

in the event...I see a lot of running this year with quite a bit of play action - note the apparent personnel emphasis on tight ends. we will all be frustrated with the deep passing game...again..........

in the event...I see a lot of running this year with quite a bit of play action - note the apparent personnel emphasis on tight ends. we will all be frustrated with the deep passing game...again..........

Sounds like any defense we play should load up against the run to force the pass to see if we can do it. Lots of short runs on first and second downs resulting in lots of third and longs/obvious passing situations, resulting in frequent QB pressures/sacks, resulting in many incompletions/INTs. Sounds like fun...for them.

And then there's this:

john_keimJohn Keim
FYI: Team source says the #Redskins will attend Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor's workout on Friday. #Buckeyes #NFL

Of course they will, due diligence prohibits any team from skipping it, I'd imagine.

Damn it Lanky. You're no fun at all.

:)

john_keimJohn Keim
It makes sense for the #Redskins to attend Pryor's workout. Due diligence. OK, that's my disclaimer. now, have at it.

Sounds like any defense we play should load up against the run to force the pass to see if we can do it. Lots of short runs on first and second downs resulting in lots of third and longs/obvious passing situations, resulting in frequent QB pressures/sacks, resulting in many incompletions/INTs. Sounds like fun...for them.

sounds reasonable to me. I don't have time to do the stats work....but it seemed Kyle went for more deep passes with McNugget than with RG. We shortened the field when RG took the reigns.

sounds reasonable to me. I don't have time to do the stats work....but it seemed Kyle went for more deep passes with McNugget than with RG. We shortened the field when RG took the reigns.

I posted this in response to a comment of yours in another thread regarding Rex and the deep ball, it seems to apply here:

Unfortunately, because he only started 3 games last year he doesn't make this analysis of QBs throwing it deep last year:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...10/going-deep/

I was able to glean however that of his 70 completions in those 3 games, 9 went for 20 or more yards, or 12.9%.

For comparison, Donovan McNabb completed 20 of his 275 completions for more than 20+ yards, or only 7.3%, although he hit on one-third of his deep attempts (20 of 60).

I don't know how many deep attempts Grossman made so I can't compare that percentage.

China, I'm wondering where you got the 9 completions figure from?

The reason I'm asking is that I found, on ESPN's NFL stats section, a detailed breakdown on Rex Grossman's history from the 2003 season through the 2010 season and for the 2010 season it shows him with 3 completions out of 8 attempts when the ball is thrown more than 21 yards.

Here's the link-tons of splits to play with also:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/4480/rex-grossman

Could it possibly be that the 9 referred to the play went for more than 20 yards rather than just the throw itself?

I'm just a fan who has an opinion of what will happen at QB.

By the end of this season, the depth chart will look like this imho...

1. Rex Grossman
2. Kellen Clemens
3. John Beck

Now matter what the record will be when the season is over, this is my prediction of the depth chart.

The offseason...

John Beck will not be retained. Rex and Kellen will be signed to three year contracts, but neither will get "starter's money". The draft will be focused on taking a QB in the first round. At that juncture, here is how it may unfold...

The Redskins may have a high pick and could land one of the franchise-projected QBs by staying put. If a reasonable deal can be struck, then they could move to #1 overall and take Luck. If they have a mid-round pick or lower, they will want to trade up, but not to #1 unless the FO is willing to give up the entire draft and fork over a #1 in 2013.

I think it will be a high pick and we will be able to stay put or give a little something to move up a spot or two. At that juncture, someone like Landry Jones or Matt Barkley would be the choice. The remaining picks will center on OL with FA having the same focus.

not bad BB...though I think we'll see a lot of QB changes during the season if we suffer the losses you imply.

I also think the fans are gonna have a role in this.....RG loses some games with ugly play/turn-overs and I believe he will be boo'd mercilessly. he's not favored in the way JC was for all those years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.