• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

I hear McVay might be burned out with the Head Coach gig... :cool:

I think whoever replaces Turner it doesn’t matter because they are all likely gone on a year. And that’s why we won’t have many good choices.
I agree, but my find a silver lining idea is if a second tier guy who feel like he’s missed his chance, but has some chops takes the gig then he may only get a year with Washington, but he does get a year of tape where he gets to change his narration.

Yeah, if I'm a position coach who wants to be an OC, I look at the skill guys on this roster and I believe I can make something out of them. I think to myself that it might only be a year but I bet on myself to come out of it looking good and in a prime position to be an OC somewhere.

I would seriously look at Frank Reich if he were interested. Whoever comes in is going to be primarily in charge of the offensive system, the game planning, and the play calling.

No former Cowboys. Dallas hasn't won a damn thing in the past 25 years. ONE playoff win. No reason to look there.

The ideal marriage is a younger coordinator being matched with a high pick at quarterback and/or Howell and letting him install an offense that can stand up to the creativity that McVay, Shanahan and others show around the league in running their attacks.

But will Ron do that? Probably not. Unlike Andy Reid, he is not secure enough in himself to hire and develop talented assistants.

He thinks they will become a threat to his position.

This is not the actual All Pro team... i believe it's voted by the players in the NFL

Donald was hurt most of the year. He shouldn't make it for 2022, you have to be on the field to perform.

I have the same issue with the NHL and NBA where a player misses half the season and still makes the all-star team or is in the running for the MVP award.

A guy can dream, can’t he?

A guy can dream, can’t he?

I’ve thought about that. Same with Harbaugh although he’s interviewing again. There may be some guys who want some power just waiting to see who buys this team. They could also be in talks with potential ownership about the possibilities.

My guess is that both Payton and Harbaugh are going to want personnel control similar to what Rivera has here now.

My guess is that both Payton and Harbaugh are going to want personnel control similar to what Rivera has here now.

And I’m okay with that. What was it that Parcells said about groceries?

Yeah, I know what Parcells said. I also know that guys like Parcells and Reid are the outliers when it comes to coaches doubling as GMs with complete roster control.

I think I want a GM. A real one, not one in name only like we have now.

I just don’t think that you can get a Payton (not a fan of Harbaugh) without giving him final say on personnel.

No more coaches with full personnel responsibilities. When are we going to learn?

Hire the GM first and let him find the right coach. It's actually a LOT harder to find a qualified talent evaluator than it is to find someone who can chalk up the Xs and Os.

There’s nothing magical about a ‘GM’ in terms of selecting the groceries. They are just as capable of crippling mistakes as any HC is. But you either have to a) have a HC who you are confident is going to be there for a decade (an Andy Reid, Bill Belichick, or Mike Tomlin type) or b) you have to have a strong GM. The reason I say that is, with a HC given all decision-making power, if he is not a lock to be a long-term guy, he can be making decisions that are great for HIM and his success in the short term, but terrible for the prospects of long term franchise success. In most cases, you need that GM to ensure that doesn’t happen.

We can debate whether there are candidates like Sean Payton who can be relied on to own both hats and serve both short term and long term interests well. In the vast majority of cases, I think a GM is critical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 5, Members: 1, Guests: 4)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.