• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

Maybe the run D was good statistically because the pass D was so porous. 🤷🏻‍♂️👺

It's just weird to me. I feel like there has to be 'more to the story' as I have not seen a Jack Del Rio defense struggle like we did the first half of the season last year - especially seeing key guys, the most talented on the roster, look as bad as anyone.

Maybe the run D was good statistically because the pass D was so porous. 🤷🏻‍♂️👺

Well - if teams are passing all over you, they don't need to run as much so I think that's a valid thought.

Maybe he, like many fans, believed that the prior year‘s performance down the stretch was real.

Can you all tell me who the guy is, on the right ?
(fyi, he rated Terry as the 2nd most under-rated WR in the league, and also says Wentz is "the guy")
But I can't figure who he is...

Torrey Smith. He played with Wentz in Philly.

Thanks, and now I feel stupid, because I just replayed the video, and apparently the first time, I missed hearing the very beginning, where Schrager introduces him as Torrey Smith, 2-time Super Bowl Champion.
I guess, I was just in a rush to make sure Terry was on the list, that I missed that Intro !

Thanks, and now I feel stupid, because I just replayed the video, and apparently the first time, I missed hearing the very beginning, where Schrager introduces him as Torrey Smith, 2-time Super Bowl Champion.
I guess, I was just in a rush to make sure Terry was on the list, that I missed that Intro !

I wasn’t gonna say anything. 🤣

We got our asses kicked in the passing game. Against the rush we were 8th in yds given up, 11th for TDs given up, and 7th for scoring drives given up.

We get our safety and corners playing well and everything changes.

win as a team, lose as a team.

I actually like that he doesn't distinguish. The defense wasn't as good as expected last year... it's gotta be better.
I like that better than 'calling out' specific units, all 3 levels of the defense have an impact on both Run and Pass defense.

Yeah - I wasn't suggesting HE call out any one aspect of the defense D. I just think it's fair to acknowledge that they didn't play like ass across the board. I agree with the idea that the defense has to play as a whole and that all parts of it are dependent on the other parts. I also think, if you only looked at the 2nd half of the season, things look (by both eyeball and statistics) much much more promising.

As we have all discussed - what in God's name was going on during the bulk of the first half of the schedule - I will never understand.

The other thing we typically forget is that there is also a direct correlation in the defense's performance and that of the offense. Sustained drives where the D gets a breather are very helpful. And an effective defense that shuts down drives and gives the offense more drives than their opponent, that doesn't hurt anything either.

Bottom line though - our secondary was our Achilles heel last season - and I think the coaches agree with that given that we targeted both S and CB with our limited draft picks.

Yeah - I wasn't suggesting HE call out any one aspect of the defense D. I just think it's fair to acknowledge that they didn't play like ass across the board. I agree with the idea that the defense has to play as a whole and that all parts of it are dependent on the other parts. I also think, if you only looked at the 2nd half of the season, things look (by both eyeball and statistics) much much more promising.

As we have all discussed - what in God's name was going on during the bulk of the first half of the schedule - I will never understand.

The other thing we typically forget is that there is also a direct correlation in the defense's performance and that of the offense. Sustained drives where the D gets a breather are very helpful. And an effective defense that shuts down drives and gives the offense more drives than their opponent, that doesn't hurt anything either.

Bottom line though - our secondary was our Achilles heel last season - and I think the coaches agree with that given that we targeted both S and CB with our limited draft picks.

Bradburry was just 'officially' released (have not announced June 1 designation at this time), so it's possible we kick the tires there. That said, Fuller / Jackson are both making $10m+ so it's hard to imagine adding him (unless you're not planning on Fuller / Jackson being here past this year. Fuller also saves $8m against he cap if he's a June 1 cut, but I don't THINK that's really something they've really considered doing.... maybe? Looking at Jackson's number, he's not really a cut option THIS offseason, but if we cut him June 1 of 2023 we save ~$13mil...

SO.. it' depends on what we think of Bradbury. If you like him more than Fuller or Jackson, you can sign him and work the money so that all 3 fit on the roster THIS year, then part ways with either Fuller or Jackson next season if you so chose.

Rivera should interview the BB manager for defensive coordinator.

Washington's defense has been inconsistent because there always seems to be a glaring position of weakness.

Some years it has been a poor pass rush. Others it has been the lack of productive safeties down the middle of the field.

Now to me it is the linebacker position group. There is no established veteran leader here or a budding physical star that is simply short on game experience.

I think we have one starting caliber outside linebacker in Holcomb and a bunch of question marks.

The team did a good job of snapping up Norwell and Turner to shore up the OG position earlier.

We need some moves between now and September to adequately address LB.

Linebackers? Linebackers?! We don't need no stinkin' linebackers.

If Jamin Davis makes a big sophomore leap and looks like a legit NFL starter, the group is a little less barren, to be sure. Even if at this point that's more wishful thinking than studied prediction based on how he closed out last year.

Even then, as has been the case for more than a couple years, we continue to approach the position as a luxury rather than a focal point. It's just weird.

the odd thing is Rivera played linebacker so you would think we would be more than covered there even if we had some holes elsewhere.

Rivera did produce Kuechley, and now Del Rio is saying Holcomb took huge leaps in his year 2, so maybe Holcomb becomes our Kuechly

I do think they view Holcomb as a much more talented player than most fans seem to. Doesn’t mean they are ultimately right but given the lack of moves at LB they must see things differently than we fans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.