• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

My favorite part is the supposed Co-CEO designing the Marching Band uniforms. You know - because that’s what powerful female leaders do in the NFL :)

Is she also responsible for bringing the orange slices to practices?

I think we could’ve really been trend setters by creating the first 60 piece Mandolin Marching Band. Yep. You guessed it…

The Commandolins.

Okay the story link isn’t showing up after I linked it. It’s on bleacher report and stated the team and Terry haven’t even begun negotiations yet.

That’s Albert Breer saying that (likely with a lot of help from McLaurin’s agent). The team knows as well as any fan how important McLaurin is to this team and the fanbase. Of course we’d all feel better if this was already done but I think the team has its own schedule and all we’re seeing is they are following that schedule.

I’ll be shocked if they don’t sign him to a new contract. If they don’t I have to believe it’s because McLaurin wants to make a change.

I hear ya, starting to wonder if he’s considering how the season goes before committing to the team. Like basically seeing if they have another 7 win season again.

What I do not have is faith in this front office.

Hard to have that brother, even with the new regime. This one seems to have more than a little of that ‘what we do works’ mentality and that makes me nervous too.

Everything I've read from the beat reporters is don't expect a new contract for Terry until the June timeframe. So, I'm not worried until then.

I really don't want a marching band now that we're the Commies. Just doesn't fit. It's like having a Wizards player with a gun in the locker room when it's no longer the Bullets.

It's a weird little tightrope dance they are trying to do - launching a ubiquitous new name which represents something completely different depending on who you ask, and at the same time pay some kind of misplaced homage to the previous brand.

Hey - I just used 'ubiquitous' and 'homage' in the same sentence.

I've said all along, if they were going to move on entirely from the Native American theme, seems like it would have better to make a clean break and not force associations that no longer really fit or work anymore. It feels awkward and forced. If you were worried about including the fans, maybe you should've picked a ****ing name that was on someone's top 10 list instead of selecting one Jason Wright and Ron Rivera wanted but that had zero support from the fanbase itself. Just a thought...

A team in the position of Washington, ie one that has had a losing record and organizational instability, is in a position where they are going to have to pay a premium to retain top talent.

Since the club at this point isn't dangling the opportunity to contend for a Super Bowl right away a guy like McLaurin is going to ask for more from us than if let's say he was with the Rams.

That's just the way it is.

The Washington front office looks at the $20M a year contracts given to top wide receivers around the league and figures 'well, we will offer a guy $17M'.

That's not how a deal is going to get done with where the team is in terms of its rebuild.

We already offered Amari Cooper and Austin Hooper more money but they went to other teams in free agency.

So, the one thing we can't do is low ball guys like McLaurin or let's say a Montez Sweat if he comes up with a 12 sack season and we want to extend him.

You could make the argument that the Colts were desperate enough to move on from Carson Wentz that we could have insisted they retain SOME of the $29M owed to him this season and part of that money could have been used to help re-up several players.

The Colts ran Wentz down pretty good as a player and his value was definitely tarnished heading into the offseason.

With the top compensation pick moving to a #2 from a #3 depending upon Wentz's snaps this year, for that pick we should have received some cap relief of say $6-8M.

Last edited:
Yep. We're not a premium destination - even if our team wasn't owned by Satan and in the news for all of the wrong reasons on an ongoing basis. DC, short of having a perennial Super Bowl contender there, isn't very appealing. It's crowded, has terrible traffic, has about 3 weeks of ideal comfortable weather every year, and is expensive as hell with an out of control tax code. Our stadium is a soulless void that more often than not has more opposing fans in it than whatever remaining hardcore fans we still have.

There are really only a couple of draws to keep our most talented players. Ron Rivera - who despite fan bitching, is a highly respected man who has a reputation for fairness and being a 'player's coach'. And cash. Just as this front office chronically underestimates how cynical, angry, and beaten down the fanbase is, I am afraid they may also not understand just how unattractive the proposition of playing in DC long-term might be.

I agree with you BD - if they want to keep McLaurin, they'll probably have to make him one of the top-paid WRs in the NFL. At this point, I don't know that they have any choice. If they can't retain a guy like McLaurin, it literally could put the success of the franchise at risk. Fans are holding on by a thread and that would just be the last straw for a lot of them.

It's a weird little tightrope dance they are trying to do - launching a ubiquitous new name which represents something completely different depending on who you ask, and at the same time pay some kind of misplaced homage to the previous brand.

Hey - I just used 'ubiquitous' and 'homage' in the same sentence.

I've said all along, if they were going to move on entirely from the Native American theme, seems like it would have better to make a clean break and not force associations that no longer really fit or work anymore. It feels awkward and forced. If you were worried about including the fans, maybe you should've picked a ****ing name that was on someone's top 10 list instead of selecting one Jason Wright and Ron Rivera wanted but that had zero support from the fanbase itself. Just a thought...

The ONLY redeeming quality the ‘C’ word can have is in the new stadium. Like how the Bucs have that pirate ship and shoot the cannons during scores…the team could incorporate an M1 Abrams tank. Firing that f’r every time the squad scores would be cool.

I don’t know if the ‘Commanders’ moniker is intended to be pro-military (honestly - has anyone in this front office explained what it’s even supposed to represent?)

As awesome as that would be, I don’t see them going that militaristic…

I don’t know if the ‘Commanders’ moniker is intended to be pro-military (honestly - has anyone in this front office explained what it’s even supposed to represent?)

As awesome as that would be, I don’t see them going that militaristic…

I can see militaristic, but I don't imagine they'll include anything that can be 'argued' to be firearm.

it does make you wonder if people who are anti-gun make it a point to go after teams like TB with their cannon. (not saying I would ever have a problem, just looking at other things that have been protested... ahem... )

I think they're going to keep it 'clean' and more depicted of what an officer would be, instead of a grunt on the front lines (which I would have preferred).

An easy way to 'connect' with the past, while branding something new, would have been a Hog version of Rambo in fatigues roaming the sidelines and the stands... but again, the door would be open to people getting upset either about the 2nd amendment, or 'glorifying war' argument makes me believe that kind of stuff is off the table. Its cheesy and stupid, but kids would love it, and we'd have a mascot that quietly connected with our history. Kids would ask their parents "but why is he a pig?" That's when the story can start flowing.

They could have, instead of resurrecting the band, rotated the service bands which would’ve been really cool. Camo alt uniform, honor a different military unit each halftime. But like most things, they go tepid and half-assed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 7, Members: 0, Guests: 7)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.