• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

And...did anyone else get a little nervous when they saw Desean Jackson back there receiving punts?

I'm ok with putting DeSean on punts, in select situations.
We did it Moss, and we did it with Darrell Green.
It's actually a credit to Gruden, because it showed how serious this game means to him, and that he considered it a must-win. A credit that should be considered, since he's been highly and unfairly criticized in that, and other areas.

While it was a great outcome, I was displeased with a couple things today...the defensive stand on those last 2 drives for TD's was abhorrent! The soft zone killed us! We blitzed an extra man almost all 1st Q, then it was almost exclusively 3 or 4 man rush the rest of the game. But the soft zone on those 2 drives absolutely killed us! 4th and 16 and you don't blitz? WTF?

I hate Manning but he's one of the best two-minute QBs ever. When he's hot he's practically unstoppable.

And that catch by Beckam ... C'mon, is that even legal? That was an absolutely inhuman grab of an over-thrown ball against perfect coverage.

When a team beats you five in a row, any win is a good win. This was a good win.

Hard to believe that a guy who, is a rookie, undrafted free agent, who JUST THIS SEASON converted from WR to CB, essentially made a game-saving INT against Eli in the end zone.
I'm always a sucker for these types of stories.

Back in this old thread my 'bolds' were pretty bad but while it wasn't a pick six I'll still take it :)

Also cruised through a little more in the thread, some of those other 'bolds' surprisingly spot on.

http://www.bgobsession.com/sons-washington/97167-bold-predictions.html#post300418

I hate Manning but he's one of the best two-minute QBs ever. When he's hot he's practically unstoppable.

And that catch by Beckam ... C'mon, is that even legal? That was an absolutely inhuman grab of an over-thrown ball against perfect coverage.

When a team beats you five in a row, any win is a good win. This was a good win.

Like I said, not trying to bring us down...was a great day! However, you don't go prevent defense with 8 minutes left. That was when the soft zone started.

Only seen snippets of the game but sounds like the D played pretty good today. I'll take it!

HTTMFR!!!!

Yeah, considering anytime the Giants play us our D can't usually get out of its own way, they played great. There were no momentary lapses or customary brain farts where someone leaves Beckham wide open for some reason. The Beckham catch was just unstoppable, not a whole lot we could have done there.

Having said that, I do agree with El, the defensive playcalling was too confident for my taste in the 4th. We let Manning get into a rhythm and almost let them come back to win it. I'd like to see us keep playing the same aggressive brand of defense that got us that lead in the first place.

I thought Gruden had a decent game overall, the energy was up for the team. It was frustrating watching us squander the two early turnovers, but Gruden seemed to settle down after that and decided to run the ball more consistently.

Fellas ... I feel like this was a huge win for us. Cousins made huge strides even though it was the D that really did the heavy lifting.

Most of the game they played very well.

They were pretty much lights out most of the game, I've seen enough of Eli to get nervous toward the end of games with his 'lucky' throws to some big ass WR that makes a spectacular grab.

The zone looked disheveled on those big plays, think Dhall screwed up a few times on coverage takeovers.

Coming into this game I was scared that we would not seize the chance to control our own destiny, and essentially end our season. I am so glad what I feared did not happen! Big win today, now we need to win 4 of the next 5 and I think we are in business.

One thing I did not like was our 2nd half play, especially in the 4th quarter. That must get fixed asap for us to be able to make a run. HTTR

Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14
DE Ricky Jean Francois: "We're in the driver's seat. We got the keys to the car. Don't nobody need to help us. It's in our hands".

Brian McNally ‏@bmcnally14
Quinton Dunbar told @CSNMA that the bone was sticking out of his left index finger so "they had to sew it back in." Oh. Okay. <Faints>

Chick Hernandez ‏@CHICKatCSN
Chick Hernandez Retweeted Ricky Jean Francois
I like 1st place
Ricky Jean Francois @Freakyjean99
YOU LIKE THAT!!!!!

Kirk Cousins ‏@KirkCousins8
Big win today! Major thanks to the fans for the atmosphere we played in. And yes, I DO like that!!! #HTTR

From Rich Tandler:
"Both the Giants and Redskins have five games to play and there are a lot of possible scenarios. In the big picture, you should know that the Redskins’ remaining opponents have a combined winning percentage of .364 and the teams the Giants have left are .600."

I was infuriated in a few instances in this game where we were in 2nd and short situations and the call was a failed pass attempt that ultimately lead to losses on downs and punt situations.

I thought early we were scared to run and it really kept the Giants hanging on and kept them believing.

There were also a few bad coaching calls and inopportune penalties in this game that we got away with that we normally don't.

Maybe it all suggests that we are slowly but surely turning a corner...who knows.

When was the last time we've had chances to bury a team, didn't, and still got the win?

In many regards, as today's game played out, the final score defied logic as we know it as Redskins fans.

Despite the offense's inability to put the final nail in the Giants' coffin time and time again in the second half, I certainly loved the composure we showed on the offensive side in our final offensive series. Had we gone 3 and out and punted, you just know we'd all of watched in horror as the Giants drove the field to steal the win.

While the roughing the passer penalty on New York was enormously helpful, I've been quite impressed with how Cousins has handled the pressure-packed "make or break" type plays late in ball games at home. We saw it against Philly, Tampa Bay, and again today with a huge completion to Reed when we needed it most. Morris had some timely running as well on the final series, and proved that had Jay showed more of a willingness to go to him earlier, maybe we wouldn't have been forced in the situation we dealt with in the final minutes today.

Composure was the name of the game late today, and our offense showed it by moving the ball out of the danger zone.

On a side note, at the end of the day, I'll take being in a playoff spot as we speak, despite having a losing record. It's certainly refreshing watching meaningful games as we head into December. We are certainly better than a year ago and have shown signs here and there of positive growth.

However, the big picture to me is finishing the season with some consistency. I want to achieve a winning division record and get to at least 6 wins at home. Those are big in terms of building to become what you ultimately want to be eventually. If at the end of the day it lands you in the playoffs, bonus. If not, we shouldn't be lining up on the ledge as a collective fanbase ready to jump. 2015 was never about playoffs or bust.

Last edited:
I've been hesitant to get too high or low the last two seasons. I'm feeling pretty good right now. I believe our running struggles will disappear with an upgrade at Center. By all accounts we are struggling at the position, it is what it is... We are a rebuilding team. There were too many holes to fill in one season on both sides of the ball. Injuries are part of the game and have decimated our division...I don't care how we win at this point just keep winning. Dallas is prime for an ass beating on Monday night in front of God and everyone.
For once we have 3 Studs on the O line, How long has it been since we could say that? I like Crowder a lot, he's second in receptions behind Amari Cooper for rookies. That's impressive. The Dline is holding their own, the linebackers are struggling and we are playing what we have left at Db's. Anyone disappointed in Breeland? I'm not and the other guys are getting better. Week one in December we are first in our division and have you looked at the Giants remaining schedule? That makes a huge difference over last season at this time of year. I'm liking Cousins btw.

We have opened as 4 pt. favorites over Dallas next Monday.

Thoughts: one good...one bad:

1) By far, I thought this was the best game Gruden has coached/play called (even if by committee) since he arrived

2) One field goal in the second half and that's it? not gonna cut it against good teams.

Yeah, our division sucks, so what, happens all of the time in the NFL..... Pats have feasted on their division for years.

It's not about winning the division and getting into the playoffs right now, it's learning how to win, peeling back each layer of the 'losing onion' to find that sweet core of winning.

Gaining home advantage, tough mindedness, making plays, fighting back from behind, finding and developing guys who 'want to', ultimately gaining confidence as a team.

There are still layers to peel, no doubt, but beating the Giant 'nemesis' in a big game for both teams was one of them.

It's just a team hopefully getting their act together to have some fun in December.

Right now it ain't much to look at but it's still peeling.

Nuttin' wrong with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 4, Members: 0, Guests: 4)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.