• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Random Commanders Thoughts

This may be the best Washington beat-writer interview I have ever seen-
It was great. Start to finish. I don't agree with him on Daniels vs. Maye, but eh, what the hell do I know.

I do think his answer of playing with a mobile QB was both interesting and humorous. Summary:

"If I miss a block, and he scampers for 15 yards, that makes it ok. However, there are times when I'll be blocking, and he'll run right into the sack. It's the pros and cons of a mobile QB."

Well. This probably goes here.

There was a small part of me hoping we would hire Bobby Slowik for the only reason when they did this group photo we’d have a HC in the picture and we could stop hearing about it.

Also, this group went 3-13.

1711397601990.png

Yeah, 3-13 and the only guy who was seen as a potential coach at that time was Kyle. But the Shanahan drama was also off the charts at the time. On a winning team, that’s just noise. On a losing team, it suddenly is the cause of the losing. Kyle wasn’t sticking around even if they did offer him the job, and I don’t blame him either.

Hindsight is 50-50 to quote another great Washington coaching hire. But most of these guys went elsewhere and developed. These tweets are always written as if the Redskins would have won 10 Super Bowls if they kept all those coaches. Sorry, that just wasn’t going to happen and only 1 or 2 of the guys would have had a head coaching job had they stayed.

But if the kicking team has to run downfield to tackle the return man, they are still running downfield colliding with other players, which can cause injury. I mean, it’s football and that’s the game everyone signs up to play. I’m just confused by the league saying a rule change is for player safety, but then add in a rule that de-incentivizes players playing it safe.

The kicking teams 'coverage' team would be lining up 5 yards away from the receiving teams line of blockers like the XFL has adopted.

1711402028181.png

There is no more 'running down field' as you're much closer to engaging as a Line of Scrimmage situation. Much 'less' momentum going down field helping to eliminate some of the big collisions from a full head of steam going in both directions.

So they banned the hip drop tackle today.
Defense is an endangered species in this league anymore.
The NFL seems interested in finding out how many times they can stab the golden goose before it dies.....

What those that dismiss the slight frame of Daniels and the fact injury is a potential 'cost of doing business' with a true running quarterback miss the fact that drafting a player that high and potentially giving him that much money over time, you want a guy you can project to a 10-12 year NFL career.

Having a guy that shows great for a few years and then by 29/30 is starting to have physical issues which reduce his effectiveness and lead to long stretches on IR is not where I want to be in 2028.

Cam Newton was 6'5 and 240 and lead the league in rush attempts before Lamar came along. By 30 he was basically done. What made him special in terms of speed and quickness as well as down the field arm were compromised by a myriad of injuries to his ankle and shoulders.

What you saw in New England was a player at 31 that was a shell of his former self. He could no longer throw a deep ball with any real accuracy and was more of a game manager, something you wouldn't have expected watching him in Carolina in 2013 or 2014.

Meanwhile, we see other quarterbacks like Rodgers, Manning, Brady, and even a more middle of the pack guy like Kirk Cousins be effective into their mid to late 30's and continue to help their teams win games.

To me the #2 pick should be about the next 3-5 years and beyond not about what a guy can do to make things a bit more interesting in 2024 while the team is still in transition through this latest (and hopefully last) rebuild for awhile.

To me the #2 pick should be about the next 3-5 years and beyond not about what a guy can do to make things a bit more interesting in 2024 while the team is still in transition through this latest (and hopefully last) rebuild for awhile.

As far as I'm concerned, and this goes WAY beyond the QB position.

First round picks should be players that:

1. All Pro Talent - If you look at a guy and you don't believe they have the TALENT to be an All Pro... it's a check mark against.
2. A player you see worthy of retiring in your uniform - Drafting a first round player that you have doubts about re-signing should be a non-starter.
3. A player you see worthy of a second contract
4. A player you see worthy of paying top of their position money.

Obviously you're not going to hit on all of these, but these are the first 4 boxes i'm checking when i'm talking about a 1st round player, and it's amplified further if it's a top 5 pick. It's not an absolute science either, as there are 100000 factors that take place AFTER you call their name on draft day to determine these 4 factors, but it comes back to 'are these opportunities TRULY there for a player'.

of the three qbs available at 2
My observations
Maye has the highest upside and the lowest bottom. He is really good at things that tell you a QB will be successful in the NFL, he has issues with foot placement and some accuracy issues and seems to be an on the field leader
McCarthy has the second highest upside and unsure of his bottom with the limited throws in college makes all the throws needed to succeed in the NFL and is a very charismatic leader on and off the field
Daniels - two years older than the first two on the list - has the highest bottom but may already be at his highest upside very much lightning on the field with his runs and passes but does not throw the mid field and other nfl passes needed to be great in the NFL, his running style will open him to injury in the NFL and is not a vocal leader on the field

I wonder how Maye and McCarthy would be in college football if they played two more seasons like Daniels has, - I will be fine with any of these three but I like Maye the most, but please do not trade up to 1 to get Williams

Another thing i've failed to see ANYONE from this fanbase talk about regarding Daniels is his Pressure to Sack ratio. This was the 'analytic fatal flaw' surrounding Sam Howell during his regression. For a long period of time, i heard 'guru's' referencing his Pressure to Sack % and how it's a trend that often translates from College to the NFL. That QB's generally can't grow out of it.

Daniels has a very comparable Pressure to Sack % as Howell did in College. If this truly is a metric that most QBs can't outrun, both figuratively, and literally, why is it not being talked about more?

I don’t care if it’s being talked about by internet posters and media, as long as it’s something Eugene Chen and his people are well aware of and honed in on…

I don’t care if it’s being talked about by internet posters and media, as long as it’s something Eugene Chen and his people are well aware of and honed in on…
I’d be shocked if Shen wasn’t running literally every predictive model he can think of on every prospect.

And I’d be shocked if Peters and company aren’t double checking and then triple checking the film to see if the numbers are lying for some reason.

I have no idea what they are going to end up doing. I guess I shouldn’t say that. I have a guess. But it’s not based on anything other than a hunch as to what Peters, Quinn and Kliff want in a QB.

The one thing I’m confident of is this is going to be a 100% football decision. Whoever the football guys think is best is who they’re going to go with.

well, if these same pundits that were so adament about it being a non-starter with Howell, why is it not being reported on regarding Daniels?

I just think it's a major claring queston that i'm curious how it's going to effect him at the next level, and if it was truly the demise of Sam Howell that it was spoken about, it should also be a major subject of question surrounding Daniels.

The only place ive heard that stuff is on Galdis show
This is probably because Galdi is good at his job and the rest of our media is basically poop on a stick. Minus beat reporters where Keim is outstanding. Most of the rest of them are arrogant self promoting ass hats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.