• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

question for the history buffs and stats nerds

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
has a trade for multiple firsts or even high round draft picks, ever worked out well for the team giving up multiple picks?

I am asking because the only ones I can recall without google are the saints giving us a bunch of picks for Ricky Williams, and the Viking selling out to get Herschel walker, one of those trades helped us suck marginally less, and the other was responsible for the Cowboys Dynasty. Has one ever worked out for the team giving up multiple picks?

Those are the two most obvious.

The most recent example of one that has worked is probably Eli Manning.

And it's too early to tell, but Julio Jones looks like the real deal Holyfield. I'm not sure anyone can cover him. He looks like another Megatron.

so the Eli trade (which was for the number one slot in the draft btw).

the 4th pick overall, a third round, then the next years 1st and a fifth rounder. So the actual Cost to get Eli Manning was 2 firsts, a third and a fifth. the trade was a swap of the 4th and the first with the Giants giving up their third that year and the first and fifth the next year. a premium price to be sure, but looks bargain basement to what we gave up.

But that was the market value at the time. ;)

This is an unprecedented trade, so we should probably not try and cite precedent when evaluating it.

so the Eli trade (which was for the number one slot in the draft btw).

the 4th pick overall, a third round, then the next years 1st and a fifth rounder. So the actual Cost to get Eli Manning was 2 firsts, a third and a fifth. the trade was a swap of the 4th and the first with the Giants giving up their third that year and the first and fifth the next year. a premium price to be sure, but looks bargain basement to what we gave up.
You also have to take into account that Eli made it clear he wasn't going to San Diego, so it gave the Chargers less wiggle room.

How about Gruden to the Bucs for two 1sts, two 2nds and $8 million. Then the Bucs immediately won the superbowl?

Didn't Miami trade a boatload of picks for Ricky Williams? Anyone remember that?

EDIT:

Williams was traded to the Miami Dolphins on March 8, 2002 for four draft picks, including two first-round picks. In 2002, his first season with the Dolphins, he was the NFL's leading rusher with 1,853 yards, a First-team All-Pro and a Pro Bowler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricky_Williams

But that was the market value at the time. ;)

bingo!

get the QB first...worry about the rest later.

lest all forget...PM was alone and unafraid for his first 3-4 years as a Colt...getting pounded. The preference is to prvent this....but you still grab your QB when the opportunity is ther.

Doesn't matter if it hasn't. Doesn't prove it can't .The sample size for such trades is so small there is no statistical relevency. Unless your favorite thing in life is to find any negative angle you can when analyzing anything Redskins. ;)

The interesting thing is that most of the huge blockbuster trades that resulted in busts were for RBs. Walker and Williams, Dickerson (holy crap look that one up! It's more lopsided than the other two combined) ... none of those really worked out for the team that got the name player.

Looking at the trades for QBs, moving up for Manning, moving up for Vick ... hell, even giving up a first for Montana ... those are generally more successful. However, nobody has given up as many high picks for a QB as we just did, so it's hard to know. The closest we've seen was the Manning trade. That was a 1, 1, 4, 5 trade whereas ours is a 1, 1, 1, 2. It's kind of a big difference. But the Manning trade worked out spectacularly. Maybe ours will too. Maybe we paid too much.

I really don't freaking know. :)

And neither does anyone else. So maybe we should just hope for the best.

This is an unprecedented trade, so we should probably not try and cite precedent when evaluating it.

Not to mention that whether or not such trades were successful for the team giving up picks in the past has no bearing on whether this trade will be successful. I.e., "Past performance is not indicative of future results" as the financial people like to say.

Didn't the Jim Everett trade cost two #1s and two #2s as well?

here in Washington the Redskins under Allen gave up two #1 draft picks in compensation for Dave Butz (who was 23 at the time) and Gibbs/Beathard gave up two #1 picks in compensation for signing Wilber Marshall in 1988.

of course those were teams that were already competitive and playoff bound, while the Redskins are rebuilding after some very humbling seasons.

Even though it was in a different sport, the biggest trade of picks I can remember is the Lakers giving up FIVE first round draft choices as part of the trade for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Jerry West was such a good GM, though, that the Lakers were still able to land Magic Johnson (1980) and James Worthy (1982) with the first pick in the draft due to shrewd trades.

Depends on your definition of "full of holes." In today's NFL, with the salary cap, there are always going to be holes on the roster. Good teams are able to mask them. A good QB goes a long way in masking holes. A bad QB goes a long way in making them more glaring.

almost all of those trades where the team gave up multiple picks were for a "final piece of the puzzle" I have never seen a team that was full of holes commit so many rsources in one player. it is interesting though and worth discussing.

The Giants were 4-12 the year before they drafted Manning.

The Falcons were 4-12 the year before they drafted Vick.

Depends on your definition of "full of holes." In today's NFL, with the salary cap, there are always going to be holes on the roster. Good teams are able to mask them. A good QB goes a long way in masking holes. A bad QB goes a long way in making them more glaring.

This! Right here.

Yes, we have holes, no question. But I keep thinking back over the games last year and how much difference a QB who could run would have made in a few key situations. How much greater a difference an accurate QB who could have hit a receiver in stride would have made. Or a QB who could make the right decision quickly would have made.

At the end of year we were left griping about the state of the line and the state of the QB. I can't help but wonder if maybe we wouldn't have been happy with both if only we had better play from the signal caller.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.