• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Press Release: EVP/GM Bruce Allen

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
March 12, 2012

STATEMENT FROM EVP/GENERAL MANAGER BRUCE ALLEN
REGARDING MEDIA REPORTS OF SALARY CAP ADJUSTMENTS:

“The Washington Redskins have received no written documentation from the NFL concerning adjustments to the team salary cap in 2012 as reported in various media outlets. Every contract entered into by the club during the applicable periods complied with the 2010 and 2011 collective bargaining agreements and, in fact, were approved by the NFL commissioner’s office. We look forward to free agency, the draft and the coming football season.”

The NFL runs a mulligan season with no real free agency and offseason work and then expects to make retroactive judgments on matters that there was no set policy on at the time?

Hey, its called a loophole.

Happens in the tax code with regularity.

Except the NFL is even more arrogant than the IRS and expects to win EVERY battle along the way, whether the league sets a foundation or not.

Again, I smell the Maras and Rooneys behind these actions, scared as ever that normative economics are finally going to rule the day like they do in other businesses.

The old model of buying an NFL franchise and running it to eke out a yearly profit like a green grocer is over.

Sorry about that Mike Brown, Irsay and Bidwill as well as poor old Ralph Wilson.

Mom and Pop is over.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

The NFL runs a mulligan season with no real free agency and offseason work and then expects to make retroactive judgments on matters that there was no set policy on at the time?

What about the report that says the league warned the teams "at least 6 times" about not dumping salary in an uncapped year ?

What about the report that says the league warned the teams "at least 6 times" about not dumping salary in an uncapped year ?

It wasn't in writing and the only teams that were told this was the Redskins and Cowboys. It was not put in writing and many teams did the same thing to varying degrees. In other words, major collusion going on here.

If Jones and Snyder fight this thing, we may find out the main players. Mara is probably one of them and BD has mentioned others (no way to know for now). The league does not want this over their heads. You can be sure that some serious mitigation is going on at this very moment.

If Jones and Snyder fight this thing, we may find out the main players. Mara is probably one of them and BD has mentioned others (no way to know for now). The league does not want this over their heads. You can be sure that some serious mitigation is going on at this very moment.

Sounds like Mara is just as much the villain, if not more than Goodell, for initiating all of this. What a conflict of interests to have him in that position.

Surely he was motivated by jealousy of our financial abilities, cap position, our huge trade for the #2 pick, the fact that we swept his Giants like our *****es last year, and just plain old division rivals.

Seriously. It's refreshing. Cerrato would have freaked out, paid the NFL back and drafted 2 safeties!
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

exactly, god forbid we offend the asshats running the NFL, they do so much for the Redskins after all lol I am really impressed by Allen and the way he is dealing with this, I only hope we dont cave and accept any cap penalty. Vinny was gutless unless he had the midget right behind him. Allen doesnt seem like he will accept this kind of BS.

No offense guys, and all due respect to Bruce Allen, but other than issuing a terse 1 paragraph press release, what exactly has Allen 'done'?

And can we, at some point, let the Cerrato thing go?

Agreed. Cerrato would have had absolutely nothing to do with this if he was still here and of course.... He's not.

Allen's doing what he can do. I don't feel good about this at all, the NFL seems to be becoming more and more like a dictatorship and I don't see this changing that progression.

GODdel will get even if we don't play along, that's the short version. There are way too many opportunities for him to nickel and dime Snyder and our players to death. Taking a hard stand on this opens the entire league to problems, no? I don't really see this ending well for us.

The only thing I would look forward to is allowing us to spread the "penalty" of 36mil over several years, not just 2.

No offense guys, and all due respect to Bruce Allen, but other than issuing a terse 1 paragraph press release, what exactly has Allen 'done'?

And can we, at some point, let the Cerrato thing go?

Boone.....

1) FA starts today...that's one data point where we'll start to see what they will do

2) They will find a way to use contract restructures, guaranteed money, etc., to get around the cap.

lot of other teams were doing the same thing (radio report this morning mentioned Texans and constract restructures for Schaub). for a change...we have leadership that thinks operationally and strategically. I hope the Skins fight this one. Allen fired the first salvo. take oit to court...get a stay....execute your FA strateegy as planned: my preference.

They knew about this, you can be sure. They've planned for it as well. If it was going to be fought or appealed, it would have happened during the decision making to levy the penalties. Everything else is show, IMO. This didn't just get sprung on the teams. Jerry Jones' son is on the competition commitee.

Schefter was just saying on Mike and Mike that this is just getting started. There's a lot of head-scratching going on in the media over why it's just the Redskins and Cowboys.

And why the Cowboys apparently got a discount on the money they spent.

Schefter was just saying on Mike and Mike that this is just getting started. There's a lot of head-scratching going on in the media over why it's just the Redskins and Cowboys.

And here is why people are saying that:

CapStuff.jpg

The Bears are the most egregious, though Schaub aint bad - they doubled his salary cap hit in 2010 from any other year.

Goal, The question isn't whether someone got paid a lot of money. The question is whether or not that money pushed a team over the previous years cap limit. So those numbers are useless without also looking at the total cap numbers for the team the player was paid by.

At least, that is what I understand.

And why the Cowboys apparently got a discount on the money they spent.

That too.

I cannot believe how sloppy the NFL is being about all of this. I'm no Dan Snyder fan. Give me a reason and I'll grab a pitchfork. If the Redskins and Cowboys did something so egregious, there HAS to be documentation somewhere. This 'we told them not to six times' crap is bush-league nonsense. This is the NF ****ing L. Stop dicking around with hints and innuendos and show us exactly what the Redskins did that other teams didn't do. Show us the stated policy that the Redskins ignored. Show us the times and dates and the language you used in your warnings to the Redskins. Show some professionalism. Until then, I have no reason to believe any of this is on the level, and I don't see why the Redskins would either.

This is absolutely embarrassing. Goodell needs to get his act together. Fast.

Goal, The question isn't whether someone got paid a lot of money. The question is whether or not that money pushed a team over the previous years cap limit. So those numbers are useless without also looking at the total cap numbers for the team the player was paid by.

At least, that is what I understand.

That's interesting, Neo. I hadn't heard that, though I may certainly have missed it. I thought the NFL warned teams not to push off too much cap money into the uncapped year. So you're saying the league, even though it was the league's choice to have an uncapped year, required teams to stay under a cap that didn't exist? Would that cap have been the same as 2009's cap? Or would we have been allowed to project what an increase might have been?

And more importantly, as Henry said, where is the documentation on this? I saw someone on Twitter say that drafting RG3 (or trading to put us the position to draft him) had united Skins fans behind Snyder. Uh, no. This has been handled about as poorly as it could be handled by the league. As Henry said, I will cheerfully blame Danny-boy for anything that is his fault. This just looks... sketchy. And punitive.

I am putting this together by reading between the lines on a number of different sites, Goal. I might be completely wrong.

As to the documentation, my guess is that there isn't any and the reason for that is that the union already suspects the teams of colluding over salaries in the uncapped year, something the league denies. If the league were to now produce documentation that indicated the teams were told to hold the line on salaries to right around 2009 levels even though there was no salary cap that would prove the unions suspicions. Again, just me reading between the lines but it does make sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.