• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Post-Game Press Conference vs. Rams: Jay Gruden

Then I guess we have to agree to disagree. Many times you see the players come out after a win and say coach gave them a speech at halftime. Many times you see the coach yelling and motivating on the sidelines trying to get players to focus and get back in the game.

The players saying the coach gave a great half time speech or made great halftime adjustments? Coaches shouting on the sidelines - yeah sometimes but not often (again that act gets old quickly) more often they are showing photos (on tablets now) and working on correcting breakdowns or showing what the other side are doing. Sometimes those conversations can be a bit terse lets say if things are not going well or folks are making mental errors. (Unless its the Redskins secondary of course - I have no idea what they talk about on the sideline!) Half time is what 12 minutes - not long for players to get in, maybe get some equipment changed or checked, take a leak maybe and speak to their position coaches, then the DC and OC go over some things. No time for a 'win one for the Gipper' type speech really.

Hey bud, I understand you don't agree. I also understand the difference between the movies and real life.

Bart Starr talks about Lombardi's halftime speeches in his book.

Bart Starr: When Leadership Mattered - David Claerbaut - Google Books

Schroeder talks about Gibbs giving a halftime speech.

Rams and Redskins Are Looking for the Spark - Los Angeles Times

Pete Carroll gave the Seahawks one in 2010

From the Sidelines: Seahawks vs Panthers

So, while I get you dont agree and dont think there is time...apparently as far back as Lombardi and as current as Carroll it does happen. That was just a quick search of 3 coaches I could think of off the top of my head.

I have been in lots of changing room and locker rooms. Played a lot of sports up to professional level and then semi pro over here in the UK. In my experience motivational speeches before a game to get players fired up rarely happen outside of films or TV series - and less so the higher the level you play.

Normally its just a few reminders about what was worked on in preparation for the game and match ups (but thats more position coaches than the HC) then the HC might say a few final words just before you leave normally about trusting your preparation, playing without fear and enjoying the game. Thats normally it. Some players like to get fired up individually or in groups but thats more personal. I used to tune out any ra ra stuff from them myself. At half time it can get 'shouty' initially depending how things have gone (often thats more players than coaches) - but its far more about getting guys settled down and then making adjustments, you only have a short time to get anything done at halftime. I have seen some things get thrown against walls and learned a few new expletives during some of these half times when things have not gone well. That only makes any impression though if done very rarely and in extreme circumstances, if its an every week thing it gets tuned out as well.

To reach the pro level players are motivated. They also know their pay check depends on their performance so they better stay motivated. Losing does take a toll though especially if you cant really see any light at the end of the tunnel.

I worked with Bobby Ross' brother Lanny for 5 years when Bobby coached Maryland, Ga. Tech and San Diego. Also when Bobby was on Marv Levy staff. Lanny told me Bobby said, you cannot motivate professional athletes. They are young rich and don't listen. Sort of what Mike Singletary said when he took over SF 49ers. Every player has his own button to push to get results. The head coach doesn't use motivational speeches in the NFL, they don't work to turn teams around. They do inspire when playing for something like the playoffs or championships, but its not the motivational speech that get players attention.

The Redskins have been done for weeks, once the team stopped listening and the infighting occured. We were doomed then, and its an up hill battle for Gruden to change anything. Why he couldn't or wouldn't answer some of those quesions, to do so was no win. He still has to circle the wagons in the offseason to bring the players he keeps together. If he survives to coach them. And if he doesn't, well, that is not an improvement. The players will still fight and choose sides and they could care less who the coach is, they won't listen to whoever is brought in. Besides "systemic" issues, we have a roster of losers & quitters. No coach wins with a group like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.