• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Report: Scot McCloughan expected to be the new G.M. in Washington

Yes, with Gibbs and Shanahan he was hands off. Thank you for proving that.

Dinner and talking shop with someone does not constitute meddling or being involved any more than me talking to you about karate makes me your master, right?

Did you make it through the whole article? Clearly Snyder was more involved than dinner and talking shop according to Gibbs. Again, the fact that Snyder has to proclaim his "handsoffedness" every so often says a lot.

- if I buy an nfl football team....I'm letting football people run it....but I'm definitely enjoying the perks whether that is attending practice or hangin w/players! what's the point otherwise?! gotta have sum fun along the way :)

I agree with this 100% and don't really have a problem with Snyder or any owner being involved. My problem is how Snyder has managed the team.

I doubt the league does a thing. Even if the 'charge' is true, that we interviewed the guy but didn't 'report it', what does that have to do with the intent of the rule? We followed the intent of the rule. The rule itself is a joke, since no team is going to hire anyone, black, yellow, green, or blue, if they don't want to. At worst it's a technicality. There better not be any draft ramifications - because I've had it with NFL bullshit directed my team's way. I believe that would push me right over the edge.
I agree that no team is going to hire someone they don't want. However the rule is not a joke in the sense that a lot of guys who never would have been considered got exposure. After all, interviewing isn't always for the position currently under consideration.

As for our new hire, I'm cautiously optimistic. Certainly we've needed an overhaul in our scouting and draft/FA prep for well, seemingly forever. What's even more encouraging is that the empty suit presser seems to have opened Snyder's eyes. Let's hope he can keep his nose out of the pot and let the chef do his thing.

Did you make it through the whole article? Clearly Snyder was more involved than dinner and talking shop according to Gibbs. Again, the fact that Snyder has to proclaim his "handsoffedness" every so often says a lot.

Yes, I made it thru the whole article.

Thanks for asking.

Just to play devil's advocate here GSF...that could be reflective of nothing more than Snyder realizing that there are folks out there with an irrational inability to accept that he HAS been hands off for at the very least 5 years now. He still gets accused of meddling by fans and members of the NFL across the Nation. Hell many of our own fanbase refuse to see it even when Snyder does things like pack up his office and move out of Redskins park.

I'll say it again anyone who thinks Shanahan -who had control written into his contract- was allowing ANY meddling from Snyder OR Allen is delusional. The guy was an absolute control freak and Egomaniac.

I agree that no team is going to hire someone they don't want. However the rule is not a joke in the sense that a lot of guys who never would have been considered got exposure. After all, interviewing isn't always for the position currently under consideration.

As for our new hire, I'm cautiously optimistic. Certainly we've needed an overhaul in our scouting and draft/FA prep for well, seemingly forever. What's even more encouraging is that the empty suit presser seems to have opened Snyder's eyes. Let's hope he can keep his nose out of the pot and let the chef do his thing.

I've heard this tack many times and I just don't buy it. They come off looking like token interviews. I can't see how that kind of exposure is helpful in any way.

I think the goal is admirable. The approach is seriously flawed though. I think it disrespects the men it is supposedly intended to elevate.

I've heard this tack many times and I just don't buy it. They come off looking like token interviews. I can't see how that kind of exposure is helpful in any way.

I agree completely, and if the're really good at what they do, people around the league will already know about them, and seek them out.

It served a purpose once upon a time. But there really are no more Marshalls and such in the league to warrant it.

Plus if I was a minority and got a job that had affirmative action in play I'd always wonder if that was the only reason I got it or not.

Part of getting Snyder to back off is showing you know what you are doing :)

Shanahan came in here and never was able to lock down the qb position from 2010-12 before the idea of trading up for Griffin became a possibility.

Mike came out in a press conference and told us all that in his professional opinion both John Beck and Rex Grossman were NFL caliber starting quarterbacks.

Watching Beck against the Bills in that 0-23 loss and watching Grossman throw 4 interceptions against the Giants, didn't do a whole lot to convince Snyder NOT to become more involved.

None of us knows if 'Snyder has been hands on' - NONE of us. Maybe he has, maybe he hasn't. I really could give a rat's ass either way. I care about not sucking. I care about wins. I care about making the playoffs. And I care about not being a perennial ****ing cellar-dwelling embarrassment of a franchise while the Cowboys win playoff games.

And that's the basis on which I'll judge this move and the basis on which I'll judge Dan Snyder who, I don't care if he's your adopted father, has delivered nearly nothing but suckitude to Redskins fans since he got here. I don't care if it's poor Dan's fault, or he's the unluckiest well-intentioned rich guy alive.

From all appearances this hiring, along with finally giving Haslett the heave ho, is the best possible one we could have made. That's a good thing. It doesn't change the history we've lived not even a little. This move changes things when things change. When we consistently draft great players. When we consistently cut bad players. When we thank and then move older non-productive vets (thanks for the memories Santana) out to pasture. When we stop signing guys past their prime for more than they are worth or can ever produce. When we find those hidden gems over and over again in the draft and free agency. When we establish a home field advantage. When coaches who can't get the job done, friends, family, or whatever, are shown the door. When winning, winning, and more winning is all that matters. When we are a perennial playoff contender that other teams don't want on their schedule. Then things will have changed.

I'm open to the possibility. I've been waiting 20 years for the possibility. I'm excited about the possibility. But nothing has changed. Not yet. When changes happen, I'll acknowledge 'things have changed'. And my outlook, mood, and appreciation for my team will change too.

And that's exactly how it should work my friends. At least in my world.

Here here Boone. couldn't have said it better myself. We go nowhere until winning takes place. The fact that these were positive moves doesn't mean winning is guaranteed. And if we continue to lose, it doesn't mean that Snyder is the reason. The effort has been made. That's all we can ask for. If it doesn't pan out, we'll be asking why. (Except for those Snyder bashers who are narrow minded and can't see past their nose. They have already made up their minds it won't work plus have already decided its Snyders fault. I tune these folks out, they bring nothing to the table.)

But as I've already said, it will take more time, more time than is involved when bringing in a new head coach. The GM is here for the long term, so we can expect long term results. There are no miracle workers in this business. It is all about building a team from ground up. The fastest way that can be made possible is for the GM to sync up with the head coach, get on the same page with the same scheme and make it work. I never had a warm and fuzzy feeling that Allen knew what Gruden was trying to do. So there's that honeymoon to get beyond. And like I also said, Gruden will in all likelihood be gone by the time it all starts to gel. But the GM will still be here to carry out the plan. The winning will be confirmation change has occurred.

Agreed :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Snyder has made the first move to let go a bit and it is up to McCoughlan, Gruden and Allen to make this thing work.

I agree with this 100% and don't really have a problem with Snyder or any owner being involved. My problem is how Snyder has managed the team.

since day 1...I agree. he's the head cheese and he made mistakes galore.

while there are consistent reports that snyder doesn't treat the workerbees terribly well....I can't claim that there is anything overtly obvious that Snyder is deeply immersed in everything that is going on. now...in part...that is because he got smart after the whole vinny/zorn debacle and is no longer very visible publicly.

either way...I'm slowly tuning into the future channel. it does appear that everyone is tired of this embarrassment and will do what it takes to put a winning formula together.

We have a GM that has failed to make a draft pick HERE.

But let's read beyond the initial skepticism.

We don't know what Gruden is capable of because for most of 2014 he was being forced to start a quarterback he doesn't believe is NFL playoff caliber.

Can you imagine Bobby Beathard trying to stick Joe Gibbs with a Heath Shuler type qb?

What would your opinion be of Gibbs as an offensive coach?

You would think he needed to be replaced.

Until we have a winner, there's plenty of reason to question any moves an owner makes. It's the nature of the beast.

BTW, is anyone the least bit concerned with McCloughlan's personal issues of the past? It caused him to be released from two top NFL organizations.

Anyone?

Also, when McCloughlan rules on RG3, should we all agree in lock step that what he says is gospel?

so whats your point? that's MY point. Bringing up straw men to justify your criticism makes for an invalid argument. But yet you keep going around in circles and end up at the same spot. You are too deep in the forest and can't see the trees nor find your way out. I think you would be very unhappy when we put up a winner. You couldn't bring yourself to honestly evaluate who gets the credit because I think it would make you look bad.

Have you ever in your life had someone in a business relationship say to you......"you know what I'm going to roll the dice with you because I don't believe that you suck as bad as they say you suck, and here's your chance to prove yourself"? If not, then you will unless you are in business for yourself, and I'll say ...... go figure.

Last edited:
btw....anyone who has run an Enterprise or large groups of people (thinking hundreds to thousands) knows there are multiple factors in play.....but that leadership ultimately is the telling factor. all the functional elements of a sustained successful business have to perform efficiently and effectively. a football team is more about people than many, many other business types. of course the owner plays a critical role: from paying the bills, providing the facilities, hiring the staff....to public relations and interactions at the League level. the owner establishes the organizational culture (not just the locker-room culture) and vision. we can argue til the sun goes super nova abt whether Snyder meddles too much, too little....or understands his role and value adding strengths. but to argue that the owner isn't involved or accountable strikes me as missing the boat on how successful organizations achieve goals and objectives.

I also know this....to borrow a cliche....the past is behind us. it can influence the future in obvious ways....but the notion of change is fundamental to the world we live in and our concept of life itself. and with that.....once again.....to the hope springs eternal trough we will all return sooner or later. after two decades of misery...the uphill slog gets more difficult each succeeding off-season. but here is where we are and there is where we will go.

how's that for mixing metaphors in truly ugly ways!!! time to dig our way out of the misery well guys & gals....if for no other reason than psychological wholeness :)

There's a pretty ardent fan population in RG3's camp. If he's out next year, there's going to be second guessing no matter who makes the decision...well, until we're 10-6 of course...:rotflmao:

we also know Gruden believed in Dalton who did work "the scheme"...and who....let's face it.....isn't a winner either.

Oh, well...I guess it's just my way of not having to get set for the FAIL.
And there it is. We know you're afraid, and can't hack it anymore. We can't change that.

Some of us just don't know how to quit. You can't change that.

There are plenty who see it more or less as you do tr1. It's the optimistic folks who are outliers. I'll keep saying it. Worry about your own fandom and let others worry about theirs. If folks were so sure about their POV they wouldn't be so unsettled by an opposing viewpoint.

And, just for giggles, let me throw this out there: McCloughlin chose Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers for SF.

He really doesn't walk on water.
And let me clue you in: Mike Nolan wanted Smith because he thought Rodgers had a bad attitude coming out of Cal.

And 20 other teams passed on Rodgers. So let's not act like it's an exact science.

Bethard missed guys too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.