• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Report: Santana Moss received hGH

BGO

Santana Moss was among the athletes that received hGH from Dr. Anthony Galea, Rick Maese of the Washington Post reported on Thursday morning.The Buffalo News had previously reported that Moss was a patient of Galea's and has been questioned by...

More...

Can't believe there's not a discussion going on Moss today. Just hearing this - haven't even read most of the articles, but if it's true, thinking he probably did it to deal with some of the chronic injury things he's been through (hamstring pulls repeatedly)...

No excuse, but I'd guess it was more something like that than trying to 'enhance' his play. Be interesting to watch what happens. I love Moss, so I'm especially disappointed that if the 'redskins' connection was based in fact, it turned out to be him.

And does it strike anyone else that it just doesn't seem possible for the Redskins to have a drama-free off-season?

I almost started a thread on this a little earlier today but I just didn't want to deal with it. I guess there isn't much point in putting my head in the sand about this though.

I'm not interested in convicting the guy before all the facts are out but what I've read and Santana's reaction to it aren't very encouraging. The same Canadian doctor has been tied to A-Rod, an admitted steroid user, Tiger Woods, a suspected HGH/steroid user and now Santana.

I understand why these guys who use steroids and HGH do it. It would be very hard not to give in to the temptation to take a few shots and get more from a workout or heal faster or add that extra zero to your paycheck. Hell I knew guys who were doing cycles when I played and none of those guys were going pro.

Still, I can't condone it even if I understand it, and if it turns out he used HGH or any other "substance" then the league should suspend him.

Although at this point, I wouldn't rule out anything Tiger might have done, but in this case, I'm pretty skeptical. He may not give a rat's ass about his personal commitments, but he seems to take golf and his place in it's history pretty seriously - even to the detriment of his personal life. That, and I don't see golf being a sport where a performance enhancing drugs make much sense, especially for someone who outdrives God already. I don't think he's had a chronic enough injury history to warrant taking that kind of chance. Then again, I'd never say never.

As for Santana, I think the injury thing might definitely have made it a temptation. He doesn't sound like an innocent guy in those comments, does he?

From what I understand, Moss brought this doctor for treatment on his knee or knees. Evidently he has had knee problems for about 3 years. This past off season he had surgery on them or the bad one.

Ever since story broke, I've gone over and over in my mind who it could have been. Never really considered Moss, but maybe I didn't want to either. I know these guys are under pressure to stay on the field, but he had to know the possible consequences.

This doctor's lawyer said if he did use HGH on these players that it a very small amount injected directly into the tissue.

Curious to see where this all goes. This doctor, as previous mentioned, has been tied to other pro athletes. Will this open an HGH flood gate? Will the NFL take an image hit like baseball with steriods?

Still can't believe it was Moss.

As for Santana, I think the injury thing might definitely have made it a temptation. He doesn't sound like an innocent guy in those comments, does he?

No, he sure didn't. I guess it's a little unfair to have thrown Tiger's name out there but if he's been linked to this doctor, even if it's for legitimate reasons, people are going to suspect something is up.

At any rate fans of the NFL don't seem to care nearly as much about performance enhancing drugs as fans of other sports do, especially baseball. My guess is because stats and how they relate to a players' spot in history are so much more important in baseball.

As I see it, this whole HGH/Steroid thing is probably a greater reality in the NFL than most people would choose to believe. Is it right or wrong, who's to say. The league seems to project that it's a small percentage of players doing it. I on the other hand seem to think the league is acting like ostrich's by sticking their heads in the sand and pretending that it's not as common place as it truly is. Then they make a big deal out of it when they think they "suspect" someone of using. Whether they have court of law proof or not seems to be immaterial to them.

If the league truly believes that HGH/Steroids has no place in the NFL, be it for injury recuperation or not, they should institute mandatory drug testing for everyone. Then again I don't think the players union would ever stand for it. It's a catch 22.

I think it's probably wide-spread in the NFL - and I agree, it's kind of strange that the focus has been almost exclusively on baseball, when clearly, steroids and HGH would logically give a player a competitive edge in the NFL. Setting aside the 'right and wrong' discussion, you either have to totally ignore it exists and essentially condone it, or you have to be extremely aggressive in identifying guys using and prosecute them to the fullest extent. Because trying to go down some middle road of 'dont ask don't tell' sets up a situation where the guys who aren't cheating (and it's hard for me to see it as anything other than cheating) pay a price for having some integrity. You can't have that in my opinion.

I understand the dynamics of the player's union, but that's really a straw man. You heard the same argument in baseball until Congress said 'fix it, or we'll do it for you'. I'm not saying baseball is where it needs to be either, but at least they've made a token effort. I don't get Goodell on this issue. For a supposed hardass, he's acted a lot like baseball commissioners of the past - likely knowing it's a rampant problem, yet doing nothing about it. I'm betting he'll have to before long, or risk being viewed as a total hypocrite.

I think there's only one long-term way to keep players honest and away from this stuff, and that is to strip them of all records and invoke an immediate lifetime ban from the sport if they are caught using performance enhancing drugs. That would be an incredibly aggressive stance, but anything short of that, isn't going to get drugs out of sports.

I get the feeling, based on limited conversations, that the general public are more against HGH/Steriods in baseball than football. Do you agree?

The baseball records seem to be a major point for this view. Whether or not a guy is on juice in football, the records are still a lot more difficult to obtain. Did steroids help Manning break the single season TD record? Who knows, and would it help? I would guess, probably not. But, there is probably no scientific way to verify that.

The same substances can surely give a guy more power in baseball, but maybe not help him hit the ball with any more consistency.

I was watching Around the Horn earlier and they implied that several other cities have athletes involved with this guy. I am sure we will se more accusations.

I think Moss's punishment will be light. Cushing only recieved a four game suspension for testing positive. They cannot test Moss for HGH.

Another reason I believe that it is more accepted in football than baseball are the reporters recent actions with the Defensive ROTY honors. Cushing still won with a re-vote, which I think is a shame. If it was baseball, you would have seen a totally different outcome and the guy would have been ostracized to a degree. It is like they are saying, 'well it's football, it's different.' The NFL will get away with a lot more than MLB will in the eyes of the media.

BigMikeSkinsFan says:
May 20, 2010 11:44 AM
"I'll talk about football. I don't know about nothing else. I ain't got nothing to do with nothing that ain't about me."

My man!! Show that college edumacation!!

I cant believe he actually went to college. Im not shocked he would do something like that but how he did it and STILL was sub par is beyond me.

He did go to The U.

This sucks.

I have always been proud to say one thing about this team, despite our lack of on-field performance we've never had any serious off-field issues.

This is disappointing to me. Its not the same as steroids, sure, but its cheating in some way and I don't like it.

Last edited:
Hey, if the stuff is good enough for Stallone...............

Wonder who else is pumpin up?

No, he sure didn't. I guess it's a little unfair to have thrown Tiger's name out there but if he's been linked to this doctor, even if it's for legitimate reasons, people are going to suspect something is up.

I think you have every right to mention Tiger. What seems strange to me is Tiger hold a press conference and says didn't use HGH and the media seems to have dropped the issue.

Now comes out that an NFL player and two other pro athletes used him and we have beginning of a witch hunt.

Question would be did Moss know HGH was being used? Or was it if I don't ask then it is okay?

Romanowski praised this doctor's treatment in one statement. Then on Comcast he said there were better options and a few guys will take the chance.

I'm disappointed in Moss.

It may not justify Moss' actions to some of you, but Rick Maese had an interview with Bill Romanowski, who had some interesting quotes:

"Dr. Galea is pioneer in athletic injury recovery.Doctors & trainers should be lining up to learn his sports recovery."

"This has nothing to do with getting stronger, faster, more explosive. This is 100% about healing an injury"

Romanowski said any HGH used was minuscule amount. Said if 3 glasses of wine is too much to drive, amount Galea used is like drop on tongue.

"This isn’t Victor Conte and BALCO labs. This is a world-renowned doctor who works with some of the top people in the world."

Romanowski doesnt condone Galea breaking the law but said the science and treatments offered to athletes was best available.

All quotes from Rick Maese.

With HGH, I think it's pretty much all about healing as far as the NFL is concerned. It's supposedly illegal in the NFL yet they don't test for it. Why not just make it legal for any player who is trying to recover from injuries. Let the team doctors dictate who gets it and who doesn't.

Unlike baseball, which has a 162 game season, the NFL only plays 16 games and you need your best players in those games. I'm all for allowing anything that makes guys heal faster, I just don't want to give one guy a competitive advantage over another.

"This has nothing to do with getting stronger, faster, more explosive. This is 100% about healing an injury"
Be that as it may, it's still a banned substance that he and every other player in the NFL knew was banned. Therefore, it's still cheating, and it's still inexcusable.

Very disappointing, especially if he winds up being suspended for the Dallas opener.

With HGH, I think it's pretty much all about healing as far as the NFL is concerned. It's supposedly illegal in the NFL yet they don't test for it. Why not just make it legal for any player who is trying to recover from injuries. Let the team doctors dictate who gets it and who doesn't.

I'm pretty sure that the FDA pigeon holes HGH treatments to a fairly narrow set of medical conditions, none of which include treatment of injuries. Get FDA approval first then perhaps HGH treatment under medical supervision will get the OK in the NFL .

AFAIK, blood tests are needed to detect HGH, something that is not allowed under the current CBA. Pee tests aparrently cannot dectect HGH (yet) which makes it a little tough to test for it under the current CBA.

Blood tests for HGH is one of the current sticking points in CBA negotiations from what I've seen.

And its also possible (although admittedly unlikely) Santana really didn't know the doc was putting HGH in his knee.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It may not justify Moss' actions to some of you, but Rick Maese had an interview with Bill Romanowski, who had some interesting quotes:

"Dr. Galea is pioneer in athletic injury recovery.Doctors & trainers should be lining up to learn his sports recovery."

Romanowski said any HGH used was minuscule amount. Said if 3 glasses of wine is too much to drive, amount Galea used is like drop on tongue.

"This isn’t Victor Conte and BALCO labs. This is a world-renowned doctor who works with some of the top people in the world."

Romanowski doesnt condone Galea breaking the law but said the science and treatments offered to athletes was best available.

All quotes from Rick Maese.

On Comcast, Michael Jenkins interiewed Romanowski. In this interview he was more on the fence. Even went as far to say their where more natural method available that would have been better.

Romanowski appears to be switching sides as much as a politician. Don't put a lot of stock in what he says.

Newest thing on Redskin Insider is should we sign Terrell Owens!

Newest thing on Redskin Insider is should we sign Terrell Owens!

No, nyet, naa, nee, nein, non, nei, nie, Não, nu, nej, nage, ní hea, nik, ní hea, A-ni-yo, bú shì :nono: :thumbsdown: :eek:

or as I would prefer to say :censored: NO!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.