• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Gruden says the “clock’s ticking” on Griffin

Let's leave the intelligence debate for another thread - it really has no relevance to this topic.

I hope he comes out and throws for 5 TDs and just puts a stop to this nonsense. But I'm not even sure this can be reversed now. It seems like one of the two won't be here much longer.

The Wonderlic is a poor example. Brett Favre got a 22, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Terry Bradshaw all got 15. Heck, McNabb only got a 14 and despite the crapfest he put up here, he had a pretty good career. Meanwhile, guys like Blaine Gabbert and Drew Henson are top 5 all time in Wonderlic scores. That test proves nothing about what a guy can do on the football field.

Fair enough. I don't believe that test means everything in terms of measuring success. Just one consideration.

I would like to officially announce that I like jay Gruden more than I like Robert. I've been a redskins fan as long as I've been capable of being one.

I didn't trade those picks for Robert, so I'm not emotionally or financially tied to him. He had a historic and short run from approximately week 3 of 2012 to haloti ngata collision.

good bad or indifferent I'm tired of hearing about him, talking about him, and reading about him. He owns 99% of sports talk radio topics here in DC, so I've switch back over to my rhapsody playlists when in the car. It's depressing. The wizards are playing lights out and people want to keep dissecting a dead frog. It didn't hold my interest in the 7th grade and it doesn't hold it today.

I'm totally fine with a true open competition at qb that is secondary to a new and refocussed team, to carry an identity that is defensively and OL based. I think that's a more competitive and lower profile approach. I'm tired of the drama. That's why I don't have a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. Call me abnormal but I'm ready to try something new... Beats losing all the time.

The browns are coming around. The bengals are competitive every year. The rams are beating good teams. Detroit isn't bad at all. The cowboys are back(for gods sake). And we keep killing ourselves like the bloods and crips every Sunday, and Robert has got his big toe all in the doodoo. So my clocks ticking too.

I hope he comes out and throws for 5 TDs and just puts a stop to this nonsense. But I'm not even sure this can be reversed now. It seems like one of the two won't be here much longer.

That is what became inevitable towards the end of last year. In that case, it had been building up all year, but by the end of the year, it was a certainty. This just started really building up, but it went from 0-60 in less than a week.

Fair enough. I don't believe that test means everything in terms of measuring success. Just one consideration.
Then why did you bring it up to me like it mattered? If he hadn't thrown those stats out better than I did you'd still be holding on to it.

I don't get that, bro. You threw that test out there and then bellicheck like it was a big deal and that Griffin scoring low mattered. Now it doesn't because he showed you winners who didn't score high?

I feel ya JLI.

Then why did you bring it up to me like it mattered? If he hadn't thrown those stats out better than I did you'd still be holding on to it.

I don't get that, bro. You threw that test out there and then bellicheck like it was a big deal and that Griffin scoring low mattered. Now it doesn't because he showed you winners who didn't score high?

Because you mentioned that he was obviously smart.

I don"t think learning how to slide (and he didn't this preseason) in his third year is proof that he's extremely football smart. Nor do I think he's been developing quickly when it comes to things like reading defenses.

Sheehan and Loverro are both down on Griff but wanted to get 'the guru' Terry Shea's opinion on the QB's work Tampa game.
Take it FWIW,

ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now

Shea has been a big supporter. I imagine he still is, while acknowledging that last week was a big step in the wrong direction. Am I correct?

How is the rest of the team supposed to believe in him when the HC expresses a lack of confidence like this? I'm really shocked by these comments.

Boone, why do you think he'd want out? $4 million a year and a HC position in the NFL doesn't suck.

I think Gruden is spouting off because RG3 is a major narcissist and considering his play, annoying as **** and not just to Gruden but to the ENTIRE TEAM, and Snyder and or Allen want to influence who he is starting and he doesn't want to start RG3 anymore. He's basically putting it out there that he's going to make the decision soon and if they want to fire him then get it started. Read his quotes from this week about playing those free agents and draft picks that haven't been playing. He said "they will play when they earn it" well has RG3 earned it? Do you think Gruden cares how many draft picks Snyder tossed to get him?

The reason i call RG3 a narcissist is because its obvious. He STUNK as in he looked like Vince Young in his 2nd year bad and it was at times comical to see him still left in that game but listen to his post game interview. He deflects the entire performance into the team needs to do better before he can succeed because apparently they are holding him back. If the rest of the team stepped it up they'd be able to pull out a win even though he lucked into the only 7 points that he scored and the defense only gave up 17 points. RG3 cost the team 10 and arguably 16 just by his ints and sacks.

We know that he will make these most condescending comments about the rest of the team, what do you think he's saying in the huddle after any of the 30 times he makes the wrong read? The dude had receivers looking at him standing there wide open all day and you know the entire locker room is pissed right now and you can bet that he's spouting off some of that same BS in the huddle too.

Remember, this same team came back and beat Tennessee then beat Dallas in Dallas once McCoy started playing and it's kind of obvious that they played harder once he was in, especially compared to the Tampa game.

2 minute mark in the cooley breakdown: ESPN 980 Audio Vault - Play Now

Spoken in a very condescending tone:
"The fact of the matter is we're not a very good football team right now, we got a long way to go. Every guy's gotta look himself in the mirror and say that to himself. You can't sit at your locker or be out on the field and say its not my fault. You know, I'm a baller I'm an All Pro, I'm a Pro Bowl Player. Cause right now we have no Pro Bowl players, we don't, we're not playing that way. I'm not playing that way, the line isn't playing that way, the receivers aren't playing that way, the backs aren't playing that way, the defense isn't playing that way, our special teams isn't playing that way and we all know that. Coach has reiterated that to us many times and guys have to accept that. Accept that we have a long way to go. Accept that we have to get better."

Are you kidding me? I know I'm not the only person who has had employees at work try to deflect their poor work performance by making a statement like that and they just make you want to strangle them so what do you think Desean Jackson, Garcon, Kerrigan, Breeland, Hatcher, etc think after hearing that bs?

That is why Gruden is doing what he's doing. For the team and possibly for Snyder. It could also be a middle finger to Snyder. Gruden has 5 years right? Hey, fire me now then but it's my show.

Because you mentioned that he was obviously smart.

I don"t think learning how to slide (and he didn't this preseason) in his third year is proof that he's extremely football smart. Nor do I think he's been developing quickly when it comes to things like reading defenses.

RG3 slid correctly in his first NFL game. He has regressed in everything. Shanahan had him playing well. Maybe Shanahan just got tired of teaching a guy who believed (in his own mind) that he already knew everything.

Shea has been a big supporter. I imagine he still is, while acknowledging that last week was a big step in the wrong direction. Am I correct?

Shea mostly blamed the line. Said Griffin started throwing the ball to a dump off receiver more from taking hits. He gave Griffin a B for the game for how he played, but a C for production, since they didn't come up with points. He's still pretty high on Griffin.

The entire organization needs to go radio silent.

I don't think there's any 'misconstruing' those comments. It's pretty clear what Gruden is communicating.

Basically,

Time for Robert to poop or get off the pot.

Can't say I disagree with that.

I have no problem with Gruden's statement and I'm a pretty consistent supporter of Griffin. Gruden is known to be brutally honest...some say too honest. We are a 3 win team when others are looking at playoffs. There is no sugar coating that...Is Gruden going to be here next season? I hope so. He's a bright guy he needs to find away to finish well and he knows it...Is Griffin the guy? It's hard to say...so many reasons and excuses can be used. Griffin needs to show progress...in 2 games it doesn't look promising.
I'll say this though, the Cards, Browns, Dolphins, Rams, Texans and Eagles are competing with "Average qbs." While the Saints, Skins, Panthers, Jags, Raiders are stuck in neutral with their "Franchise QBs"
Griffin could find his groove and I hope he does but if turns the ball over often and early this weekend I'm in favor of giving him the hook and Let McCoy and Cousins battle it out down the stretch.

Sheehan was big time supporter of both Shanny and Griff 2012, now he's much less. Thinks Griff needs 'to just play ball', 'hasn't developed', 'appears to be a pain in the butt' .... basically the same tenor as the rest of the media who've turned on him.

I think the Tampa game did most of these guys in, remember we were favored, all pundits were on the side of the favored touting various degrees of 'blowout'...... the Skins proved them wrong and as typical they don't like 'proven wrong' so the backlash is stronger than ever.

Oops, you said Shea, yeah in the interview he pretty much backed his guy.... saw little in terms of total breakdown with Griff, made some good plays, made some bad but overall was above average at worst.

I imagine that Shea is part of Griff's 'inner circle' of supporters but public support of any kind might be deemed as 'coddling' by the more strident non supporters.

Last edited:
On another note, Gruden's comments seem to be in line with what he's said all year, just now it's more inflammatory considering Griff's performance.

Griff just needs a win along with a good performance for this crap to settle down. Don't know when that'll be tho, the shame is he came in with expectations, probably exceeded them as a rookie..... hard to get back there considering the situation (or excuses if one like's it that way)

I don't think there's any 'misconstruing' those comments. It's pretty clear what Gruden is communicating.

Hello! Gruden has been a what you see is what you get coach. I like it. But let's not put it all on Gruden and the "gut" job as you like to say. Grif was benched last 3 games last year. We as "insider" fans, ha ha, thought it was to keep Grif healthy since the season was a lost cause. Well, to outsiders, that's not what they saw. They saw a QB benched for lack of performance and losing games. Gruden is one who saw that, so I don't believe in the gut theory. Jay actually did Grif a favor and took the pressure OFF by anointing him starting QB to begin camp. We all expected that to be the case. What no one, especially Jay Gruden could predict, was that 2013 was not an aberration. It was the sign of things to come and Grif was the same guy. Bottom line is Gruden is not giving any leeway for his past injury status. All Jay wants to do is win a friggin football game. That's all I want, I don't care who plays QB. Jay Gruden feels the same way and this "warning", if you will, is a last chance for Grif to get with the program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.