• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: ESPN commentator on RG3: “He’s kind of black, but he’s not really”

I have always thought is absolutely astounding that people are so concerned with race. I am metis, I have had indians tell me im not indian enough because I dont live on a reserve anymore because i moved to the city to play football and go to university, I have seen them tell my father that because he married a white woman, he wasnt "indian" anymore, pure idiocy. the saddest part is that the racism comes from both sides, nobody gets a "pass". I have seen white people chastise first nations and black people for not being "legit" if they didnt fit in the box used to define them.

all in all, its pretty sad that people are so hung up on something that nobody chooses.

Griffin appears to be professional, mature, smart, and extremely talented.

But he's not 'black enough' for people like Parker to admire or even respect.

Hate to see what it is he respects.

Is Mike Vike 'black enough'? Is that who you respect and admire? Is that who you want representing 'black people' for you?
You took the words out of my mouth. And I agreed with Stephen A. Smith too. WTF? The Mayans man. The Mayans.

And seriously, if Parker was white he would have been fired mid segment for saying the same thing. We all know this. Why does this dumbass get a free pass?

extreme, because the only people allowed to make statements about skin colour are those who have pigment lol, either way parker is an asshat, Rg3 is about the best ambassador the african american community could ask for, he is respectful, articulate and obviously intelligent as well as being a superlative athlete. he has not only been the exception to the whole "black QB's can only run" stereotype, hes exploded it. he reminds me of a younger faster Warren Moon, he sees the field, he has a great arm and a fast release but more importantly he has the coolness under pressure that demarcs a great QB.

like the other guys said, just because he doesnt sound ignorant, doesnt make him less "black". I thank god we signed him, because if he stays healthy, he is not just a game changer, he is a paradigm changer.

Rg3 is about the best ambassador the african american community could ask for, he is respectful, articulate and obviously intelligent as well as being a superlative athlete. he has not only been the exception to the whole "black QB's can only run" stereotype, hes exploded it. he reminds me of a younger faster Warren Moon, he sees the field, he has a great arm and a fast release but more importantly he has the coolness under pressure that demarcs a great QB.

Clearly, that's not the type of ambassador that people like Parker want for themselves

There are a couple of things to note:

1. This is ESPN we are talking about, they have about as much credibility as MSNBC.

2. I never heard of this dumb@$$ before, probably because he landed a job at ESPN, so who really cares what he thinks?

3. He doesn't have a point, he just went on a rant, probably because he didn't have his medication that morning.

Don't give this dirtbag any more attention; he is unworthy.

Please note that I didn't, and have no intention, of debating what he said; his comments are too beneath me and everyone else to bother.

Robert Griffin III Will Make You Forget That Dan Snyder Is An Awful Person

I've lived in the DC area for nine years and as long as I've lived here, the Washington Redskins have existed primarily as Dan Snyder's abused chew toy. They've carted in ****ty coach after ****ty coach and signed ****ty free agent after ****ty free agent. And all the while, the brand identity—the culture—of the Redskins remained virtually the same. This was always an organization that made every possible desperate move and traded every possible draft pick in order to help Snyder buy into the team's Super Bowl legacy.

Before this season, there wasn't a moment when you forgot that Dan Snyder owned this team. His bloated, arrogant shadow permeated virtually everything: Joe Gibbs being hauled back in strapped to an oxygen tank, Vinny Cerrato being a ****ing idiot, Clinton Portis fancying himself the team's unofficial GM. This was a team that many of its fans loved more out of obligation than anything else, because everything about the Redskins otherwise sucked: the players, the coaching, the stadium experience, all of it. This was a soulless, cynical enterprise. This was a team and its fans going through the motions in a loveless marriage. Drew Magary writes for Deadspin and Gawker. He's also a correspondent for GQ. Follow him on Twitter @drewmagary and email him at drew@deadspin.com.
Everything about the Redskins is different now, of course. The presence of Robert Griffin III has grown so massive that, at times, you can forget that Dan Snyder owns this team and is a horrible person. That's NEVER happened before. The Redskins right now are a prime example of how a franchise's public identity can shift, thanks to just one player, into a whole new era.

I'm not trying to say that RG3 is magical or that "this is what sports is all about." I'm looking at this strictly as a kind of football branding exercise. NFL teams have always existed in phases. You can take a team like the Eagles and break it down into distinct eras: The Buddy Ryan Era, the McNabb Years, the Vick Experiment, etc. All of these incarnations of a football team have their own distinct personality, and those personalities have a different effect on the average football fan.

Apart from my own team, I find myself having minor flings with other teams on occasion strictly by era. I really liked the Phil Simms Giants, which embarrasses me now because Phil Simms the announcer is so awful. I ****ing hated the Jim Kelly Bills. I loved the Bernie Kosar Browns. I ****ing hated the Manning-era Colts. I like the Rex Ryan Jets against my better judgment. I'll always hate the Packers, but I hate the Aaron Rodgers Packers a whole lot less than the Brett Favre Packers. Once a major change happens to a franchise—a change in location, ownership, QB, or head coach—that personality gets reset, and your relationship to it as a fan changes.

For me, I lump the past 15 years or so of Redskins football into the Dan Snyder Years. The coaches and players changed (and often), but Snyder was the domineering factor across all of it. I ****ing hated the Dan Snyder Redskins.

But now that Griffin has given the franchise a new identity, I feel different. They aren't the Snyder Skins to me anymore. Even though Snyder is still the owner and Mike Shanahan is still standing there on the sidelines like some kind of emotionless leather android, they're the RG3 Skins, completely and fully. I very much wanted the Skins to beat Baltimore last weekend. As long as it isn't at the expense of my own team, I definitely want to see them in the playoffs, even the Super Bowl. **** yeah I wanna see RG3 play Andrew Luck in the Super Bowl (I like the Luck Colts). That's how wildly your affections for a football can fluctuate depending upon who or what constitutes their dominant trait.

The old joke is that you're cheering for laundry out there when you watch sports, but that isn't true at all. You root for your home team now and forever, but the rest of the sports landscape is a dynamic, constantly shifting human carnival. People matter, even though you're rooting only based upon your distant perceptions of those people. It's not a rote exercise. It's a deeply personal thing, in which you bestow your fandom upon players and coaches and teams who you think have qualities you find fascinating or admirable. You can go from hating a team to liking it and then right back to hating it all over again in the span of a decade, perhaps even faster.

That's what keeps sports compelling. If every team stayed exactly the same and coaches were never fired and players never aged, this would all get really boring really fast. You need teams to reshuffle. You need them to assume new identities. You need them to change, because otherwise you never would.

This guy should be fired immediately, and a note of handwritten apology sent to Griffin apologizing for giving such an idiot air time. Absolutely inexcusable. Until that happens, Griff should indeed refuse to do ESPN interviews. I have a feeling that diminished access to one of the top three stars in the NFL these days would enact some pretty swift change, even to the all powerful ESPN.

I think it would be fun if Griff pulled out his trademarks and let ESPN know they can no longer mention him or discuss him without his written consent. Until Parker is fired.

I think this man's remarks transcend the racial issue. Yes, the remarks are racial in nature...he shows a complete lack of understanding, but his whole attitude during this program was that of entitlement. Listen to him, he clearly states that he doesn't know the "real" RG3...as if he has the right to fully know everything to know about Griffin. This is why so-called journalism has faltered. It isn't just ESPN, although they are a blatant example, it is journalism as a whole that feels that the lives of anyone and everyone are subject to their scrutiny. Why? These journalists are "entitled" to know everything about everyone? And let's take it a step further...who are these people writing/reporting for? The voyeur public this society has become.

I think we are growing tired of the Kardashians of the world, but so-called journalists like this continue to represent a portion of this nation that thrives on the downfall of those who are succeeding in this world, they want to see people fail because their lives are...whatever their lives are. This jerk-off represents the voyeur nation who believe they are entitled to know everything about everyone who is successful. I, for one, was tired of the Reality TV attitude within months of it's arrival at the turn of the millenia, it looks like some just aren't ready to let it go. They feel a need to create stories that will cause drama because there is no drama there. They want certain people to fit their mold. Sad really....

At the end of the article Lanky linked, on deadspin, he gives matchups a rating based on how good he thinks the game is/will be.

For the redskins vs browns he gave this little rant which I thought was hilarious
Redskins at Browns: I've never won a fantasy league ever in my life, and this year I lucked into drafting RG3. Oh God, the smugness that comes with drafting RG3. You can barely refrain from running around all day screaming out I DRAFTED RG3! at the top of your lungs. Any time fantasy football comes up in discussion at social events, I immediately let people know I was smart enough to draft him. I feel like I stumbled onto a duffel bag with a million in cash stuffed inside. I'll never have as a good a chance to win a fantasy league again and finally accomplish something meaningful in life. So I'd just like to say to RG3: YOU BETTER ****ING SUIT UP, YOUNG MAN. Only glory boys sit out games like this!

Thanks for the link, tshile. My complaint:

-- ESPN, is this the image of your network you want to project? Rob Parker saying that RG3 isn't "black enough?" Using a racial slur like "cornball brother?" Invoking the race of his fiancee?? That's racist in itself. Ask Mr. Parker if he's ever heard what Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. had to say about "content of character."

It is shameful that his comments hit your airwaves, and I commend Steven A. Smith for speaking up. Now it's time for YOU to speak up. Send Mr. Parker packing, so that I might continue to enjoy your programming sans the idiocy of such a racist hack. --

I'm not a big fan of firing people because they said something stupid. People make mistakes, and just because an idiotic statement was directed towards a guy we love, doesn't necessarily mean someone should be fired for it. I get the impulse, but that kind of overreaction is why I hate how far political correctness has taken us as a society.

The problem isn't what this guy said as much as it is that there really is a significant % of society (I believe) that does assess whether someone is a good 'black' or good 'white' based on how they live their lives. In other words, we're a long way away from where Mr. King hoped we'd be. This little dust up is just the latest evidence there are plenty of misguided souls out there.

What I love about RG3 is that he'll take the high road here and won't miss a beat. He's too smart to get caught up in this kind of crap.

Only reaction I can think of...

5371631857_303a5779fb.jpg

ESPN did send me an email
Hello Travis,

Thank you for contacting us.

The comments were inappropriate and we are evaluating our next steps.

Sincerely,

Corey
ESPN Viewer Response

And I completely understand not wanting him to lose his job, I just disagree with it. When I look at what others have lost their jobs for (similar race baiting comments), and I ask myself what would have happened if Parker was white (he would have been fired yesterday), I cannot help but think he needs to face the same punishment.

I'm not a big fan of firing people because they said something stupid. People make mistakes, and just because an idiotic statement was directed towards a guy we love, doesn't necessarily mean someone should be fired for it. I get the impulse, but that kind of overreaction is why I hate how far political correctness has taken us as a society.

The problem isn't what this guy said as much as it is that there really is a significant % of society (I believe) that does assess whether someone is a good 'black' or good 'white' based on how they live their lives. In other words, we're a long way away from where Mr. King hoped we'd be. This little dust up is just the latest evidence there are plenty of misguided souls out there.

What I love about RG3 is that he'll take the high road here and won't miss a beat. He's too smart to get caught up in this kind of crap.

Respectfully disagree. While I am no fan of the PC world we live in, keeping him on the air lends tacit approval to his clueless, racist, stereotypical statements. We are indeed a long way from Dr. King's dream, and this asshat being allowed to spout off racism on television keeps us from getting any closer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.