• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Personal Fouls?

burgold

The Pro Bowler
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The one on D Hall was not a personal foul in my book. Hall could not have known the receiver went out of bounds and he has to tackle the receiver. The PF on Rob Jackson was not a flag worthy play. Can Jackson stop his momentum mid air? He hit the qb legitimately. After that, he can't break the laws of physics. The foul on Paul because Paul lowered his helmet might have been legit, but come on, that was a perfect special teams play.

The ST penalties killed my soul, especially the second one. Shanny needs to have a come to Jesus talk with Danny Smith.

I missed the first one because I was driving back from a cemetary, but the second one which I saw looked like a perfectly timed beautiful football play. I also really disliked the calls on Hall and Jackson. Both of those seemed like refs looking for an excuse to give the Rams life.

More, could those announcers be anymore one-sided? Good grief!

The call on Hall Was bogus. Not only did he have no way of knowing the receiver was out, the whistle didn't blow either. In his mind, sinc the whistle had not blown and the receiver was still running, his job was to tackle him.

The call on Jackson was BS too. He wasn't called for a late hit, so the fact he was in mid air and couldn't stop himself was irrelevant. The call was that he drove the QB back several yards. For those of you that recorded it, I urge you to go back, watch it, and explain to me one thing.....how can he be driving Bradford back, when his feet were dragging the ground the whole way? He hit Bradford, Bradford tried to pull back, and Bradford dragged HIM several yards.

On ST, Pettis just needs to get a lesson in signaling for fair catch. If I had been Shanny or Danny Smith, I would have kept instructing the guys to keep destroying him if he wasn't signaling. The rules say you can, so the two flags were a farce. The second one, which was called for leading with the helmet, was not as accurate as it originally looked. You could see on replay that before the hit, Paul's head was turning. he was making every attempt he could to NOT lead with the head, and the collision of helmets was secondary to the collision of chest pads.

We're on the same page, Extreme. The refs had me cursing really loudly at the tv today. I think I was loud enough that I saw some of them turn and blush. They knew their calls were bull.

We're on the same page, Extreme. The refs had me cursing really loudly at the tv today. I think I was loud enough that I saw some of them turn and blush. They knew their calls were bull.
Exactly. Did you notice the Rams defender toward the end of the game throwing a punch in front of 2 refs, and they both immediately looked away without a flag coming out? You gotta love the blindness.

The flag of Hall was total bull slacka, the flag on Jackson was marginal. The second flag on ST(Paul) was total crap, he even turned his head trying to get shoulder first contact as he made the hit. The other thing is Pettis should have been calling fair catch, that kids not gonna last long trying to be that ballsy.

Exactly. Did you notice the Rams defender toward the end of the game throwing a punch in front of 2 refs, and they both immediately looked away without a flag coming out? You gotta love the blindness.

Chris Long. I would lobby the NFL to fine him for that professional wrestler like forearm slam to our player's back/neck area. Flag if the Skins do it. :moon:

I'll bet the Rams kick returners will start fair catching a lot more after today:laugh:

The one on D Hall was not a personal foul in my book. Hall could not have known the receiver went out of bounds and he has to tackle the receiver. The PF on Rob Jackson was not a flag worthy play. Can Jackson stop his momentum mid air? He hit the qb legitimately. After that, he can't break the laws of physics. The foul on Paul because Paul lowered his helmet might have been legit, but come on, that was a perfect special teams play.

did the whistle sound? My reaction was the same as yours...looked like a good tackle to me. the call was that DH "drilled" the receiver into the ground. as for the Jackson call.....hard to say. again, when I saw the replay my instinct was to agree with you...but it isn't clear whether this was contact by momentum or jackson actually drove the QB into the ground after he released the ball...which the announcers specifically stated was prohibited by a specific rule.

did the whistle sound? My reaction was the same as yours...looked like a good tackle to me. the call was that DH "drilled" the receiver into the ground. as for the Jackson call.....hard to say. again, when I saw the replay my instinct was to agree with you...but it isn't clear whether this was contact by momentum or jackson actually drove the QB into the ground after he released the ball...which the announcers specifically stated was prohibited by a specific rule.
I recorded the game and watched these plays several dozen times each. Hall didn't drill the receiver, he tackled him. The whistle never sounded until after Hall had pulled him to the ground, making the penalty inaccurate, because Hall thought the play was still live. You can't penalize a guy because you're too stupid to remember to blow the whistle. Hall played until the whistle, just as all players do, and it cost him.

Jackson did not drive Bradford to the ground. One reason it was impossible, is because the entire time Bradford was backpedalling, Jackson's cleat were aimed at the sky. How do you drive a guy down when he's dragging you? That's why I say the call was total horse ****.

i thought in general we were screwed by refs yesterday.

the penalty on hall was a legal hit. the guy was in bounds, and if hall doesn't make that tackle he could break it down the sideline (likely not, but it has happened. hell we've done it to teams). i recall this happening last year and shanahan losing it on the field with the refs.

the penalty on the tackle on special teams (the name escapes me right now, but it was the first one for 'hitting a defenseless receiver') they told him on the field it was for helmet to helmet - it wasn't. it was a legal hit. thats why there's a fair catch rule. if they want to protect the player, they should penalize the receiver for being dumb.

the one on paul was legit. he made a mistake, i don't feel a need to get angry for that one.

the roughing the passer was on the line. it looked (to me) that jackson clearly put some extra effort into driving him into the ground well after the ball was released. if he just rides the tackle through it's not a penalty. thats my opinion though.

on top of it all, the giants were handed a game by the refs in a week where we could have been the only NFC East team to win.

just an awful weekend for us from the refs as a whole.

Yeah, while it feels good to win despite being reffed up I'd still rather only face one opponent each week.

Flags on Hall & Jackson were legit, Jackson especially. Ball was gone, he hit him, and then gave the extra effort to drive Bradford into the turf. On Hall, he may not have known he went out of bounds, and maybe didn't hear the whistle, but they'll never give the defender that! Every defender ever says they "didn't hear the whistle."

The ST personal fouls got me HOT, however. The dude did not signal fair catch, yet somehow he was a defenseless receiver? BULL****. He has a defense, its called the FAIR CATCH. I was so pissed about those calls...if you're going to make him a "defenseless receiver," might as well outlaw punts all together.

I'd still argue that they were all good football plays and not personal fouls. I don't think there's even much homerism in that declaration. :)

I'd still argue that they were all good football plays and not personal fouls. I don't think there's even much homerism in that declaration. :)

Eh, you'd get no argument from me (I think the league wants the players to wear skirts), but by current NFL rules they were both legit calls. It was the defenseless receiver call that boggled my mind.

I understand the NFL wanting to protect guys. Thing is the pendelum is swinging too far. The way this ref crew called the game, they need to put flags on the QB and PR.

I didn't like any of the three flags. I guess the hit by Paul was the closest one to legit since he appeared to lead with his helmet, but the first ST call on Riley was ridiculous. Same for the call on Hall IMO. He was already halfway into his tackle when the whistle blew. You can't exactly stop your momentum and put the guy down gently. Fortunately we came away and won the game regardless of the flag-footballesque penalties.

Flags on Hall & Jackson were legit, Jackson especially. Ball was gone, he hit him, and then gave the extra effort to drive Bradford into the turf.
If you have the opportunity to, watch this play again. I keep hearing people say this, but nobody cares to explain how you can make the extra effort to drive someone to the ground, when your feet are dragging behind you, cleats to the sky. it isn't possible. If he had been standing and pushing while Bradford was going back, I'd agree with you, but Bradford was dragging him. That alone makes the call of driving him back impossible.

As for the call against Hall, he wasn't claiming he didn't hear the whistle, the whistle flat out never blew. That makes all the difference. Every player on the field was still going full speed as a result of no whistle.

I didn't like any of the three flags. I guess the hit by Paul was the closest one to legit since he appeared to lead with his helmet
This is something else I keep hearing that simply is not true. If you watch the replay, it's perfectly clear that not only did he not lead with his helmet, but he did everything in his power to turn his head and move it out of the way to avoid the helmet to helmet hit. He was just going at such a crazy speed that the collision was unavoidable. It looks like he did it intentionally at full speed, but watch the replay in this clip and you will see he clearly moves his head as far as he can to the side before the hit.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9kh1YM2JX0

Last edited:
Gotta disagree, I will watch it again though. I saw Bradford throw the ball as Jackson was getting there, Jackson drove him back a step or so, then you can see him lift ever so slightly to take him down. Definitely had an opportunity to ease up IMHO.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.