• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Personal Fouls?

If you have the opportunity to, watch this play again. I keep hearing people say this, but nobody cares to explain how you can make the extra effort to drive someone to the ground, when your feet are dragging behind you, cleats to the sky. it isn't possible. If he had been standing and pushing while Bradford was going back, I'd agree with you, but Bradford was dragging him. That alone makes the call of driving him back impossible.
I don't have the luxury of going back now. but i watched the replay at the time... there was a distinct change in motion for bradford where he went from going back to going down. there was also a distinct change in jackson's motion.

to me it was clear he 'drove' him into the ground. something that gets called every time.

guess we just disagree.

Gotta disagree, I will watch it again though. I saw Bradford throw the ball as Jackson was getting there, Jackson drove him back a step or so, then you can see him lift ever so slightly to take him down. Definitely had an opportunity to ease up IMHO.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
I'm watching it now on DVR as slow as possible. Jackson was in the process of going airborn while Bradford was releasing the ball. He can't stop in midair, so he follows through with the hit. As he wraps his arms around Bradford, his feet are already off the ground. After impact, Bradford stumbles back several yards before falling to the ground, dragging Jackson the entire way. Jackson can not lift him or drive him with his feet in the air, or while they drag behind him. It was a horrible call. Maybe he could have let go sooner than he did, but I have a feeling the refs already had their mind made up.

I don't have the luxury of going back now. but i watched the replay at the time... there was a distinct change in motion for bradford where he went from going back to going down. there was also a distinct change in jackson's motion.

to me it was clear he 'drove' him into the ground. something that gets called every time.

guess we just disagree.
It's not a matter of disagreeing, I'm just saying that Jackson would have to defy the laws of physics to drive Bradford to the ground. The first half of the hit, Jackson's feet were in the air. When his feet come down, they're dragging behind him with his soles pointed to the sky. There is no way to drive someone to the ground while they're dragging you, that's what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to find a vid online to post it, but haven't been able to find one.

Having watched Mike Nelms call just 1 fair catch while he was here, I can say without hesitation, that both ST hits were interference with the returner's right to catch the ball. That they called the defenseless receiver crap is just verbiage.

And, helmet to helmet hits do NOT have to be intentional to get called.

Jackson, as much as a man can do so after losing his feet, with leverage, did indeed try to make sure the QB, that had already thrown the ball, hit the ground as hard as he could. It's chicken **** modern NFL rules, but it gonna get called more often than not. Jackson made no attempt to even appear like he was trying to let up. Again, it sucks, but them's the rules.

And Hall did indeed, lift the guy off his feet as much as he could, and tried to plant him like a flag.

I agree that in times past, Jackson and Hall would have never drawn a penalty. But it's 2011 now, and you can't get away with it much.

You can't get away with anything anymore. Which makes it more hilarious when someone like Vick bitches about not being protected enough. The NFL couldn't possibly do any more to protect the QB than they do now, short of making it illegal to hit them.

FWIW I'm with Extreme on this one, his thoughts completely mirror mine especially on the Jackson sack. The guy couldn't let go or ease up or anything, he had zero leverage to do so when his heels were sole up and he was the one being dragged. He couldn't have even let go if he tried.

The guy couldn't let go or ease up or anything, he had zero leverage to do so when his heels were sole up and he was the one being dragged. He couldn't have even let go if he tried.
Any decent wrestler, the real stuff, not WW-WTF, will tell you otherwise.

And he could have let go. He knew the ball was out. That's why the ref called it.

Sucks, but it's not that egregious according to the rules.

Just like with the hits on Pettis. If he's stupid enough to keep taking those hits, bury his ass until he learns to throw that arm up.

This is something else I keep hearing that simply is not true. If you watch the replay, it's perfectly clear that not only did he not lead with his helmet, but he did everything in his power to turn his head and move it out of the way to avoid the helmet to helmet hit. He was just going at such a crazy speed that the collision was unavoidable. It looks like he did it intentionally at full speed, but watch the replay in this clip and you will see he clearly moves his head as far as he can to the side before the hit.......
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9kh1YM2JX0[/media]

He does turn his head to avoid the helmet-to-helmet in that replay but the hit still landed directly on the front of Pettis' facemask with the top of Paul's helmet.

I personally think that our coaches should keep sending guys out there to destroy the returner until they learn to call a fair catch but this particular flag made more sense to me than the Riley one did.

hes not a wrestler though. hes a football player who has been taught his entire career to lay a QB out if he gets a chance. it was split second and ill take that penalty any day if it means intimidating and showing fire on the field.
Completely agree Mike. I was only refuting the notion that once a man leaves his feet, he lacks control, or leverage.

I believe my instant analysis during the play was, "Yeah! Bury the mother****er!!"

hahaha..considering we havent had a really dominating defense in a while I was out of my chair screaming. i can say though that by the end of the game I felt bad for Bradford. I didnt want us to stop lighting him up but I felt for the guy for taking all those hits and having to keep getting up.

I used to feel that way about Ramsey and Campbell. Wonder if Bradford will be ruined by his line... seeing ghosts and dumping it off without pressure.

I used to feel that way about Ramsey and Campbell. Wonder if Bradford will be ruined by his line... seeing ghosts and dumping it off without pressure.

no more than Manning was during his early years. Bradford is a once in a gen type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.