• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[Per ESPN 980] Redskins and Cooley Meeting next week

tshile

Just broke across ESPN 980's news line.

Bruce Allen said they are meeting with Chris Cooley next week, resigning is definitely an option and on the table.

I wondered if maybe they were just dumping the contract and this might not happen after the first game at the point where vet contracts would no longer be guaranteed.

I wonder if he has been contacted by other clubs?

The Bengals lost Gresham to injury and replaced him with Richard Quinn, the former Redskin.

Surprised they didn't talk to Cooley first.

Yeah, this might have been the plan all along. Though neither side could say so. I think the union would pitch a fit if they did.

It would be awesome to have his play prove whether or not he warrants a roster spot, rather than his cap number.

Redskins twitter:
Redskins ‏@Redskins
#Redskins GM Bruce Allen on possibly re-signing TE Chris Cooley: "Yes, absolutely that door is still open. We have a meeting next week."

Whose spot would he take? Banks? Paulsen?

cut grossman, carry him as a 3rd QB as the #54.

on a serious note, they can find someone to cut. i'm not sure who it should be though.

My guess would be Rod Bernstine.

He has no NFL experience and didn't get much work with the first or second team players in the secondary during the preseason.

I think the club if injuries hit at safety could probably find a veteran street free agent that could come in and play as well.

Good point, BD. I was surprised they kept Bernstine in the first place and I'm sure he'll end up on the PS.

is it possible he'll resign to retire a redskin?

i know other players have done that after playing for a different team for a year or two, so they could retire with their original team. is there any reason/benefit to doing that if you were just a FA for a few weeks? I would think no, but I'm not sure...

He might re-sign, or he might be brought in as a consultant or some sort of coach. Cooley has said he'd rather do that than play for another team. Just a thought ...

I wonder if he has been contacted by other clubs?

The Bengals lost Gresham to injury and replaced him with Richard Quinn, the former Redskin.

Surprised they didn't talk to Cooley first.

I'm not surprised at all. My best guess is if Cooley was contacted, he said No, because he prefers to return to DC, if the door is open.

Yeah, this might have been the plan all along. Though neither side could say so. I think the union would pitch a fit if they did.

And Mara will jump on the opportunity to penalize the team once again

He might re-sign, or he might be brought in as a consultant or some sort of coach. Cooley has said he'd rather do that than play for another team. Just a thought ...

Yeah, or in some other sort of role like a PR person.

To me it doesn't matter. I want Cooley back in the organization, even if it's just as sideline reporter for the radio crew, or someone who plans picnics and dinners for team events.

And I would rather have him as a coach than a player, as well.

That way, he'd be granted more authority to whip Fred Davis into shape ; get him to practice harder, and drop the bong.

And help cure Niles of the Dropsies.

I read that Cooley got calls from around 20 teams. I think I read that from his agent, but...

The guy was choked up in tears, upon learning of his initial release.

That should speak volumes, when it comes to guessing who he'd rather play for, if he had the choice between offers from other teams, and an offer to return to the Skins.

MarkMaske ‏@MarkMaske
Cooley on the meeting: “I can’t guarantee what will happen. But this is where I want to live and play, so I’d definitely be open to talk.”

It would be nice to see his loyalty rewarded in some way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.