• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

[Per ESPN 980] Redskins and Cooley Meeting next week

One of many experimental iterations ...

tshile

Just broke across ESPN 980's news line.

Bruce Allen said they are meeting with Chris Cooley next week, resigning is definitely an option and on the table.

Neophyte

Super Bowl MVP
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

I wondered if maybe they were just dumping the contract and this might not happen after the first game at the point where vet contracts would no longer be guaranteed.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

I wonder if he has been contacted by other clubs?

The Bengals lost Gresham to injury and replaced him with Richard Quinn, the former Redskin.

Surprised they didn't talk to Cooley first.

Ax

Yeah, this might have been the plan all along. Though neither side could say so. I think the union would pitch a fit if they did.

It would be awesome to have his play prove whether or not he warrants a roster spot, rather than his cap number.

tshile

Redskins twitter:
Redskins ‏@Redskins
#Redskins GM Bruce Allen on possibly re-signing TE Chris Cooley: "Yes, absolutely that door is still open. We have a meeting next week."

tshile

Whose spot would he take? Banks? Paulsen?
cut grossman, carry him as a 3rd QB as the #54.

on a serious note, they can find someone to cut. i'm not sure who it should be though.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

My guess would be Rod Bernstine.

He has no NFL experience and didn't get much work with the first or second team players in the secondary during the preseason.

I think the club if injuries hit at safety could probably find a veteran street free agent that could come in and play as well.

Jimbo

The Franchise Player
Reaction score

Good point, BD. I was surprised they kept Bernstine in the first place and I'm sure he'll end up on the PS.

tshile

is it possible he'll resign to retire a redskin?

i know other players have done that after playing for a different team for a year or two, so they could retire with their original team. is there any reason/benefit to doing that if you were just a FA for a few weeks? I would think no, but I'm not sure...

Henry

Super Bowl MVP
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

He might re-sign, or he might be brought in as a consultant or some sort of coach. Cooley has said he'd rather do that than play for another team. Just a thought ...

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

I wonder if he has been contacted by other clubs?

The Bengals lost Gresham to injury and replaced him with Richard Quinn, the former Redskin.

Surprised they didn't talk to Cooley first.
I'm not surprised at all. My best guess is if Cooley was contacted, he said No, because he prefers to return to DC, if the door is open.

Yeah, this might have been the plan all along. Though neither side could say so. I think the union would pitch a fit if they did.
And Mara will jump on the opportunity to penalize the team once again

tshile

He might re-sign, or he might be brought in as a consultant or some sort of coach. Cooley has said he'd rather do that than play for another team. Just a thought ...
Yeah, or in some other sort of role like a PR person.

To me it doesn't matter. I want Cooley back in the organization, even if it's just as sideline reporter for the radio crew, or someone who plans picnics and dinners for team events.

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

And I would rather have him as a coach than a player, as well.

That way, he'd be granted more authority to whip Fred Davis into shape ; get him to practice harder, and drop the bong.

And help cure Niles of the Dropsies.

Lanky Livingston

I read that Cooley got calls from around 20 teams. I think I read that from his agent, but...

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score

The guy was choked up in tears, upon learning of his initial release.

That should speak volumes, when it comes to guessing who he'd rather play for, if he had the choice between offers from other teams, and an offer to return to the Skins.

Chris

The Owner's Favorite
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

MarkMaske ‏@MarkMaske
Cooley on the meeting: “I can’t guarantee what will happen. But this is where I want to live and play, so I’d definitely be open to talk.”

Henry

Super Bowl MVP
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

It would be nice to see his loyalty rewarded in some way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users