• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Patriots’ throng of defensive linemen at practice doesn’t include Albert Haynesworth

Lanky , a free safety and a strong safety in most schemes are actually very different animals, and its actually a very apt comparison, a nose tackle and a 3tech are very very different beasts not many (as in almost noone) is good at playing both. They are not even remotely the same, one needs to be moving and upfield, one stands at the point and stacks blocks, very very different skillsets. or everyone would be able to make the switch.

Okay, so we agree about SS vs. FS - I said they have very different responsibilities. Where we depart is NT vs. 3-techs. I would agree that a lot of big NT types wouldn't be good at 3-techs, but I would add the caveat that most 3-techs should be able to play NT (as Ratliffe has proven in Dallas). And come on, be honest here - the two positions are a LOT closer than FS vs. SS.

I would argue that landry would never be a good free safety, his skillset determines that not just his size speed ratio.

Landry played a ton of FS in college, and was drafted 6th overall.

Haynesworth is, thankfully, not a Redskin anymore. I don't care what he does from here on out.

Goodbye, Goobutt.

haynesworth_crop_340x234.jpg

lol @ Goobutt.

Ok Lanky aside from Ratliff name me one NT who would make a good 3 tech, in fact most teams that run a 4-3 have a 3 tech and they have a Nosetackle type who lines up in the A gap.

3 tech, explosive upfield guy, usually pretty quick off the ball and upfield type player. most 3 techs are really close to the 300 pound mark few of them are in the 325-360 range of the NT types, NT types are the widebodies usually very strong upperbody and not especially explosive for the most part. very different body types and skillsets. (in most 4-3 schemes)

Strong safety- usually the bigger safety, almost always hard hitter, solid takler, not as comfortable in the deep third (most of the time with a few exceptions) usually around 6 foot or taller and around 210-230

Free Safety- usually around 5-10 200-205 more covereage types more comfortable in space, usually better with a ball in their hands and not such solid tacklers.

Thats my point in actuality a 3 tech and a NT are extremely different, their roles, body types and skillsets very different, Ratliff is a rarity in todays NFL and honestly would proabbly fit far better in a 4-3 scheme or tampa two.

I think you're missing the point Ryman. The previous comparison drawn between Landry and Fat Albert had absolutely nothing to do with the technical side of things. It was instead a study in the difference in professionalism between the two. Both players were miscast, FA as a 3-4 NT and Landry as a FS under Blache. The difference is that Fat Ass, 'er Albert beyotched, moaned and refused the switch whereas Landry did what was asked of him without beyotching (in public anyway) while keeping to the company line that the safeties were interchangable in the system...even though he and everybody else in town knew it was BS.

I do agree that Fat Al was mishandled though in the sense that he never should have been signed in the first place. He was a known head case and when one takes on someone like that AND adds fuel to their nuttery by giving him a mammoth contract, you're just asking for it in my book. It's like sticking your hand in an alligator's mouth and then being surprised and angry when it chomps down. The fault doesn't lie with the gator but rather with the fool that expects the gator to behave differently than its nature requires it to.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

NO Yusuf, Lanky is comparing the two because he feels that FS and SS are more different than 3tech and NT in a 3-4. however I completely agree that landry handled his misuse far better, I would however argue that Landry wasnt promised a bunch of BS and then paid a hundred million dollars.

Meh, if Belicheck turned Haynesworth around he got an incredible steal. If he couldn't he lost a 6th round pick. It's really a no lose situation. I'm glad we got something, but a six rounder is hardly worth anything

Not, but a 5th rounder is something to consider.

Not to mention, this story has very little legs. The original story I read suggested that 85 was not easy to cut and that there were rumors he could be. In that same story, the writer compared the situation to Haynesworth's.

85 is guaranteed like 6 million I think, whereas, Fat Al is guaranteed 1.7ish. Easier to cut the fat guy. That is how I read Haynesworth's involvement in this story, not that he could actually get cut, although I would not be surprised to see Haynesworth end up in Philly by the 1st week of the season.

Last edited:
I wonder if they are just waiting for him to get into football shape, I highly doubt he was working out this offseason as hard as he did the last. ah well live and learn.

In that picture Om posted it looks like Al is much fatter, significantly larger than last year this time.

I'll keep waiting for the dominant player of 2008 to return. It's 3 years and counting now.

For anyone who has looked at Haynesworth over the past few years they have seen a player descend into a world of personal issues and off the field problems that have affected his ability to focus on football.

He consistently comes to camps out of shape and indifferent and then talks a big game about 'reclaiming his legacy' and 'being a part of something big'.

The only thing that is big is Albert.

I'll keep waiting for the dominant player of 2008 to return. It's 3 years and counting now.

For anyone who has looked at Haynesworth over the past few years they have seen a player descend into a world of personal issues and off the field problems that have affected his ability to focus on football.

He consistently comes to camps out of shape and indifferent and then talks a big game about 'reclaiming his legacy' and 'being a part of something big'.

The only thing that is big is Albert.

But but but...Belicheat was going to USE him PROPERLY, and is a master of getting everything out of problem athletes!

maybe....but I note that Haynesworth/Pats haven't become the national melodrama we witnessed here in Skins-land.

Yep, you nailed it. When Haynesworth came here in 2009 it was with the understanding he was going to be the focus on the DL in a traditional 4-3 defense. Still he came in 25-30 pounds overweight and played most of that first season out of shape.

It's not the defense or the coach, it's the player!

Albert Haynesworth no longer wants to be an NFL player. Yes, he still wants to get paid and that's why he shows up. But there is no hunger left in him to achieve anything on the field.

He is where Moss was last season - almost done.

Then Moss went ahead and retired a couple of weeks ago and 'surprised' everyone.

But should anyone have been surprised that a guy that was bounced from 3 teams last year was actually done? :D

Yep, you nailed it. When Haynesworth came here in 2009 it was with the understanding he was going to be the focus on the DL in a traditional 4-3 defense. Still he came in 25-30 pounds overweight and played most of that first season out of shape.

It's not the defense or the coach, it's the player!

Albert Haynesworth no longer wants to be an NFL player. Yes, he still wants to get paid and that's why he shows up. But there is no hunger left in him to achieve anything on the field.

EXACTLY. Its the player, it has nothing to do with any schemes or anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.