• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Patriots’ throng of defensive linemen at practice doesn’t include Albert Haynesworth

I dont consider the signing of Albert to be the mistake, given our roster and what we were doing at the time as well as we at least got one solid season out of him, there are far worse moves, stanley richard? archuleta? and thats not even looking at other teams, what did Dalass get from Roy Williams besides a lot of talk? we paid a lot of money but it didnt come out of our pockets so who cares?

Ax Coaching at the lower levels (which one almost always needs to go through unless a player heading to the HOF) pays almost nothing, I have no doubt I could easily have made coaching a career , even having come from Canada, but I like money. Instead I have coached and played for fun and my record of success speaks for itself. some people tend to think that NFL coaches are some sort of football geniuses, in reality any informed fan who takes the game seriously would have almost the same knowledge, in some cases more because a fan doesnt only concentrate on his own team. They have the advantage of scouting reports and better film, we have the advantage of not being tied into one team.

I think Ryman might be a bit too passionate, but he's got a point. It just didn't make sense last year. Even when Parcells made the change in Dallas knew he had to gradually transition while he got the players to fit the scheme.

With all due respect El, I lived through that move here in Dallas and it was a very different situation then what we had in Washington last year. The offense for Dallas at the time wasn't half bad and there were expectations every year of being in the thick of the fight for the East Division title. I don't think any objective fan of the Skins last year thought that was a possibility.

Look guys, I know this has been beat to death so I will post this article by a respected writer from the time they were making the transition and end it there. Parcells didn't jump straight in to a 3-4 because he didn't have the personnel. The article talks about the gradual transition while he maintained solid defenses.

We went from a solid defense, not great but solid, to a terrible defense.

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2006/07/dallas-cowboys-defense-finally-in-parcells-mold/

Look guys, I know this has been beat to death so I will post this article by a respected writer from the time they were making the transition and end it there. Parcells didn't jump straight in to a 3-4 because he didn't have the personnel. The article talks about the gradual transition while he maintained solid defenses.

We went from a solid defense, not great but solid, to a terrible defense.

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/2006/07/dallas-cowboys-defense-finally-in-parcells-mold/

It's a nice article El but leaves the well known fact in Dallas that he didn't decide to switch till 2005 when he drafted Spears and Ware. His first, the 4-3 under Zimmer was pretty darn good and he was quoted locally saying something to the effect that while he preferred the 3-4, he liked the results he was getting with the left over 4-3.

If you really read the article, the only draft choice it talks about pre-2005 is Newman and the switch didn't start in earnest until 2005, two full years after Parcells took over. But once he decided to do it, he drafted heavy for it and made the move immediatly. That year was 2005 and in 2006 he added more guys.

The biggest thing Parcells did in 2005 was go get Ferguson to play NT. That solved the single biggest issue in the 3-4 and is where the Skins failed miserably last year, in my opinion. That move, plus drafting Ware and Spears, gave him the ground work to go 3-4 in a year.

It's a nice article El but leaves the well known fact in Dallas that he didn't decide to switch till 2005 when he drafted Spears and Ware. His first, the 4-3 under Zimmer was pretty darn good and he was quoted locally saying something to the effect that while he preferred the 3-4, he liked the results he was getting with the left over 4-3.

If you really read the article, the only draft choice it talks about pre-2005 is Newman and the switch didn't start in earnest until 2005, two full years after Parcells took over. But once he decided to do it, he drafted heavy for it and made the move immediatly. That year was 2005 and in 2006 he added more guys.

The biggest thing Parcells did in 2005 was go get Ferguson to play NT. That solved the single biggest issue in the 3-4 and is where the Skins failed miserably last year, in my opinion. That move, plus drafting Ware and Spears, gave him the ground work to go 3-4 in a year.

But that was my point all along, he didn't switch until he started to get the right pieces to the puzzle. We went right into with all the wrong pieces. That's what I have been saying all along.

And while I don't think it was the biggest bonehead move in NFL Coaching history, Sam Wyche calling off the dogs to allow Montanan to shred his defense whiule in prevent when he had been pressuring them all game successfully during the 9er's second victory over the Bengals in SB 25. I do think it was a mistake with the personnel we had, to rush into the scheme.

The front four here was aging and average and needed to be replaced in any event. Could Shanahan have gone one more season in the 4-3 and had a better unit?

Yes, I think so. But not good enough to make the team competitive for a playoff spot.

And in the end if the talent is not good enough to do that then it needs to be re-built from the ground up.

Ax Coaching at the lower levels (which one almost always needs to go through unless a player heading to the HOF) pays almost nothing, I have no doubt I could easily have made coaching a career , even having come from Canada, but I like money. Instead I have coached and played for fun and my record of success speaks for itself. some people tend to think that NFL coaches are some sort of football geniuses, in reality any informed fan who takes the game seriously would have almost the same knowledge, in some cases more because a fan doesnt only concentrate on his own team. They have the advantage of scouting reports and better film, we have the advantage of not being tied into one team.
Yeah, and I have no doubt I could have learned to fly like a bird. Unfortunately, I don't like falling. And the initial falling (which almost all birds do when they're first learning to fly) can be quite painful. So, I settled for walking, which my record shows I do extremely well.

Oh, and it's still a dead horse.:kick_can:

With all due respect El, I lived through that move here in Dallas and it was a very different situation then what we had in Washington last year. The offense for Dallas at the time wasn't half bad and there were expectations every year of being in the thick of the fight for the East Division title. I don't think any objective fan of the Skins last year thought that was a possibility.

shannahan supposedly thought we were in the race, hence the siging of so many vets and delaying our rebuild.

But that was my point all along, he didn't switch until he started to get the right pieces to the puzzle. We went right into with all the wrong pieces. That's what I have been saying all along.

And while I don't think it was the biggest bonehead move in NFL Coaching history, Sam Wyche calling off the dogs to allow Montanan to shred his defense whiule in prevent when he had been pressuring them all game successfully during the 9er's second victory over the Bengals in SB 25. I do think it was a mistake with the personnel we had, to rush into the scheme.

best post in the thread.

but its impossible to make people understand that the best coaches coach what they have, not what they want.

Im starting to wonder if you are rooting for us to fail.

I'm starting to wonder that most Skins fans spend most of their time rooting for Ex-Skins players to fail, as evidenced by this long, obsessive thread, and the fact that there's an identical type thread at "the other site", monitoring Albert's every move, or lack of moving.

Oh come on, Fear. You can understand Fat Al. I think we all hope Keiland does well; I'm hoping CP lands on his feet and can be productive. I'll even root (a little) for Carlos in SF.

But Fat Al? **** him. Yeah, I'm gonna take a little joy in watching him fail. Sorry, but he disgraced the Redskins uniform, and yeah, I know as much blame if not more can be put on the Vinny/Dan combo, but you'll have to pardon my zeal in watching lard-butt fall on his ass as well.

Yeah, there are few ex-Redskins I wish malice on. Haynesworth was not only a disgrace as a player, but was a blight as a member of the community.

He's a pretty uniquely dispicable player.

I'm starting to wonder that most Skins fans spend most of their time rooting for Ex-Skins players to fail, as evidenced by this long, obsessive thread, and the fact that there's an identical type thread at "the other site", monitoring Albert's every move, or lack of moving.

Al has the opportunity to walk away before his roster bonus was paid but agreed to the roll that Shanahan and Haslett had for him and took the money. Once he took the money, he changed his tune and decided he didn't like the roll. I usually wish ex-Skins well but I couldn't care less about this guy. He could have been the greatest DT to ever play the game but the reality is so much less.

but its impossible to make people understand that the best coaches coach what they have, not what they want.

Its apparently impossible to make you understand that our defense wasn't that good, our front-4 was aging, and the switch was inevitable. Its also impossible to get you to understand that how else will you evaluate what you have unless you make the switch?

Yeah, there are few ex-Redskins I wish malice on. Haynesworth was not only a disgrace as a player, but was a blight as a member of the community.

He's a pretty uniquely dispicable player.

I still think the Redskins, Shanahan in particular, have part ownership of this debacle.....but in the main...have to agree with you.

Its apparently impossible to make you understand that our defense wasn't that good, our front-4 was aging, and the switch was inevitable. Its also impossible to get you to understand that how else will you evaluate what you have unless you make the switch?

yet again you arent paying attention, whether or not the entire team was aging, has no bearing, are you even paying attention at all?

the switch wasnt inevitible, it was pushed , and frankly it was stupid to do so before you had at least some of the pieces. how did we evaluate? we have 15 players on this team now who were here when Shanny got here so who exactly benefitted from the switch? besides noone?

go reread the quote you quoted when you just posted that nonsense, YOU COACH THE PLAYERS YOU HAVE, YOU DON'T COACH ACCORDING TO THE PLAYERS YOU WISHED YOU HAD.

I would love us to have the steelers players, we dont have them, not even close, and when we made the switch it was even farther away. its simple, very simple.

God, its like arguing with an anti-Redskins brick wall. I lied before, but this time its truth - not talking about the switch anymore. Past is past.

I still think the Redskins, Shanahan in particular, have part ownership of this debacle.....but in the main...have to agree with you.

I can agree with that as well.

God, its like arguing with an anti-Redskins brick wall. I lied before, but this time its truth - not talking about the switch anymore. Past is past.

lmao, the brick wall would be the guy who is trying to argue that you coach the players you want and not the players you have, , you need to just admit you were wrong, its really that simple, its no longer even an argument, your contention is that we should switch because we werent that good, mine is that you can switch but you need to do it right, that change simply to chage is stupid and counter productive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.