• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

On Taking a Stand and Redskins Fandom

Darrell Green saying he is happy with the name change and might get rid of his Redskins memorabilia does not sit well with me.

Being supportive, cool.

Saying you're going to ditch the stuff you won as a Redskin, not cool at all and totally unnecessary

Darrell Green saying he is happy with the name change and might get rid of his Redskins memorabilia does not sit well with me.

Being supportive, cool.

Saying you're going to ditch the stuff you won as a Redskin, not cool at all and totally unnecessary

Green has always been Jekyll and Hyde. Some days you'd be around him and he'd be cool, other days you'd be around him and he's a dick. Sonny was the same way

I get it, it just feels like your uncle is kicking you while you are down instead of either helping or leaving you to get up.

I journeyed 3000 miles to watch him go in the HOF and had one of the greatest weekends of my life. He had NO issues with us singing hail to the redskins 10000000x while he was there.

I think Green, over the years, has made it clear he’s kind of a dick and could care less what fans think or want. So this is just tone-deaf par for the course.

Considering it's always a 50/50 proposition with #28 (half the people meeting him say he's nice, half say he's a flaming asshole), he'll probably change his mind tomorrow. My own interaction with him in '93 or so was of the dickish variety. He's on my permanent shit list. Any interaction I've ever had with Art Monk and Charley Taylor has been of the best experiences ever.

Boone, I don't think this gets said enough, and certainly not by me:

Thank you.

I think what you have done, and are doing for this community is invaluable. Many of us have walked away at one time or another. It's really easy to do with this team.

But every day, without fail, you are here. I suspect there are those who do not know how much effort goes into setting up and maintaining a board like this. Actually, I don't either :) because most of the time I ignore the long staff emails you send out explaining which function is busted today and needed to be fixed or how much data you need to get this other thing working right. And then there's how much work you put into starting and driving discussions, wrestling with settings and/or enforcing rules, keeping the peace, and generally keeping this place a vibrant, welcoming community where everyone who loves the Washington Redskins can come and talk about them. I do know it's not easy, and it's not cheap, and there are many days, like today, that can be thankless. I also know this stretch has to be particularly hard for you.

Let me also publicly apologize for any time I have made running this place more difficult. Don't deny it :) because I know I have. You are generous and gracious and more forgiving than most of us deserve. I will try not to be a pain in the ass in the future.

Lastly, I'm sad about the name. I know we all are, but I hope going forward we have enough sense and self-awareness to not take that sadness out by disrespecting you, or this place. We all know you almost shut your doors a few months ago, and at the time I was fairly ambivalent about the idea. I can say now I am very glad you kept this place open. We're gonna need it in the months ahead as each of us comes to terms with the name change and how we deal with it.

Keeping fighting the good fight. And thanks.

Thanks Henry - to say I appreciate that is an understatement!

Funny thing is, setting aside how I feel about a name change, what would really make me sad is losing significant parts of our membership. Of course,I can’t and won’t tell anyone what they can and should do, and they wouldn’t listen to me if I did :). But it would be most sad to see folks walk away from here after being members for so long.

We will keep this place going for the foreseeable future. I have my good days and bad days like everyone else, both in terms of how I view the team and it’s future, and how kind and generous I am with you guys. But in the end, the friendships we’ve all made here are more important than fandom.

I guess it remains to be seen where it all goes. But I do appreciate the kind words :cheers:

Sorry to hear about your Dad brother - you are a good man and I'm sure he had a lot to do with that. Real life tends to put things in their proper context for us unfortunately, but yes, this is a big deal for all Redskins fans regardless of their outward reaction or intentions going forward. I have a lot of the same feelings when it comes to the efforts to 'erase' history because in a modern context it was 'offensive'.

Thanks Boone,

Wasn't looking for sympathy per se, just justifying why I'm not screaming at the sky about this change. My mind is elsewhere.

Honestly, if I think about it, I think rather than being angry about it... I'm just sad.
I'm looking around my desk as I work and there's Skin's memorabilia all over it. My mouse mat, a glass I'm drinking from, an old mug, a framed shirt and my old Superbowl cap. It feels sad that there will be an end to all this, and I worry that due to 'Woke-ness' anything 'throwback' won't be turned out for the Skins. So what I have now, will be all I have. Unless eBay will sell me things, but even that is being troublesome now.

As I said earlier, I'm all for being 'woke' moving forward, but it pisses me off that the people pushing so hard for this also want to re-write or gloss over history.

Hey Boone, thank you so much for your perspective. It really resonates with me. As upset as I am about the change and the political environment forcing the change, it is what it is. Ultimately, I have so many Redskins fans friends I have met over the internet and real life. I truly feel like many of you all are good friends. I’m not going to walk away from that. The human connection this team has given me will still be there no matter what the team name is. That said, please for the love of God, don’t have our team name be the Redwolves 🤦‍♀️🤣

redwolf.jpg

a red wolf is a combo of a coyote and gray wolf.

its a mutt, it eats trash, and its small.

But, the mere fact that someone on social media said we can call our linebackers "wolf blitzers" just got me completely sour on it

a red wolf is a combo of a coyote and gray wolf.

its a mutt, it eats trash, and its small.

But, the mere fact that someone on social media said we can call our linebackers "wolf blitzers" just got me completely sour on it

Just reading that makes me wanna go out & kick a midget

I'd just like to echo the sentiments being show to you Boone!

I have a little experience in the troubles and time it takes to manage a website, my own takes a good few hours a week to sort out and I don't have a Forum! LOL

As for the name RedWolves... I have to admit I kinda like it. (I know, you can all shoot me down now!)

My website is for my books, and I've been doing graphics work all week for it. And one of those pieces was drawing a wolf logo! So, I ended up thinking... we could do something cool with a Wolf logo. Something aggressive, that will hopefully fit the identity I hope the defense is going for... (I even just dropped in the Gold circle behind my wolf head just to see what it would look like, and kinda liked it! But that's just me being impressed by myself! LOL Honestly, is it too late to throw my hat in the ring for the design?)

Washington Redwolves.png

(Don't panic, I wasn't really designing new team logos, the book I'm writing has a supernatural theme and I was drawing a motif for the Werewolves in the book. I just threw on the Burgundy and Gold to see what it would look like!)

All that said, I don't have any particular affinity for any of the new names.

What I'm hoping for now is that we keep the colours, have a name that fits the fight song, and have a real kickass new aggressive looking logo.

I'd just like to echo the sentiments being show to you Boone!

I have a little experience in the troubles and time it takes to manage a website, my own takes a good few hours a week to sort out and I don't have a Forum! LOL

As for the name RedWolves... I have to admit I kinda like it. (I know, you can all shoot me down now!)

My website is for my books, and I've been doing graphics work all week for it. And one of those pieces was drawing a wolf logo! So, I ended up thinking... we could do something cool with a Wolf logo. Something aggressive, that will hopefully fit the identity I hope the defense is going for... (I even just dropped in the Gold circle behind my wolf head just to see what it would look like, and kinda liked it! But that's just me being impressed by myself! LOL Honestly, is it too late to throw my hat in the ring for the design?)

View attachment 4683

(Don't panic, I wasn't really designing new team logos, the book I'm writing has a supernatural theme and I was drawing a motif for the Werewolves in the book. I just threw on the Burgundy and Gold to see what it would look like!)

All that said, I don't have any particular affinity for any of the new names.

What I'm hoping for now is that we keep the colours, have a name that fits the fight song, and have a real kickass new aggressive looking logo.

I mean, it's more attractive than many I've seen, but sadly too complex for a mascot. Very attractive drawing though!

Any name that Washington becomes will be joked by others, especially the opposition. Does "Deadskins" ring a bell? Or "Foreskins"?

I will not speak for any NAs here as I have no NA blood in me, but I would like to hear what a wolf means to NA culture. I realize that the front office is moving on from anything NA related, but I would still like to know.

As for the red wolf being a hybrid, that may or may not be true. It's in dispute. My last two pets have been hybrids - a Bengal cat that I lost last year and a Savannah cat now. Both have been the most incredible companions and I cherish their loyalty and love.

If fans don't like the red wolf as a mascot, that's fine. I have no issue with it. My preference is to stay with the current name, but that can't happen. Advertisers would continue to leave and put the team in a difficult financial position. I posted my preferences yesterday in here and the team may not go with any of them. Just saying.

Each one of us has an opinion about the name and we all have our preferences. Any of these names are subject to ridicule and will be joked about from the opposition. That what fans do. Heck, that's what we do with other teams.

if they rename the team redtails to placate black people I will be well and truly done. Its bad enough I have to watch as they erase any vestige of Indians from pop culture in the name of "preventing cultural appropriation, but I am just about done with america in general with this rise of sjw bullshittery, the get woke go broke "lets reboot everything and make it black/female/queer" is just getting to be too annoying. We lost this fight because Snyder was arrogant and didn't even try to fight it effectively a smarter owner would have done smarter things.

I am waiting to see what name they pick before I make my final decision but honestly I think I am just about done with football anyway, thank God this didnt happen in the 90s when I still gave a shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.