• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

not impressed with the start of this "new regime"

Same here - definitely not personal and I respect his knowledge too. I don't even mind his critical nature. I think being critical is an important skill/trait.

I just question someone making such a post 8 1/2 hours into free agency, given our team's well known history, and why gruden is being blamed for it when he has nothing to do with it.

I have no problem with the Roberts signing. Good hands, good route runner and a mature guy that works hard.

Hayward was captain of the Bucs special teams and Lord knows we need veteran leadership on teams here given the debacle in 2013.

The only move that really needs to be explained to me is Lauvao. From his bio and the Cleveland press this was a guy they thought they could do without quite nicely.

I could see signing this guy later on perhaps after the draft on a minimum deal but we gave him much better money than that.

Pro Football Focus had rated him a -16 for the 2013 season so I don't understand what he brings to the table that was needed here.

We already have an underperforming RG in Chester, we don't have to have two :)

Another top quality and enlightening discussion BGO-ers. My profile states that my love of the 'skins far outweighs my knowledge, and I stand by that, but like to think I have some basic grasp of team dynamics and management.

Best guess, they've been brutally honest with eachother, seen the roster has just a handful of good/very good/excellent players, half the roster wouldn't even make it onto the practise squad of a top 10 team, and there's not a chance a SB title is coming to DC next season. Best sign 6-8 good, dependable, players, knowing that if 1 or 2 film stars went down early, you're looking at another 3-13, rather than a respectable 8-8. Honestly believe they'd do backflips if they delivered an 8-8 this year, even if we wouldn't!

So far they're signing good, definite starters, with the potential to be better, rather than headline makers, and I'm ok with them laying the ground work for a decent push in 2-3 years, while keeping their powder dry should the stars align and put us in a position to pay big for somebody they truly covet. Realise we'll have to spend big at some point, but not today, and not just for the sake of selling a few more t-shirts.

If, after putting these guys tape under a microscope (what else have they been doing for 14+ hours a day for the past 2 months?!), and the brains trust believe they can come in and make us better, then I've got no reason at this stage to think they're wrong.

I'd be more concerned if I was a Broncos fan. Know the feeling of mortgaging the future for one player, but mortgaging it to deliver a SB next year? Sure they know what they're doing as well :)

Well, I don't know that Hayward and Lauvao are going to be starters.

If we draft a WR at #2 Roberts may end up being the #3 over time.

But we have zero depth and I think that is what the team is using free agency to add.

Having Garçon as the No. 1 and 'x' receiver as the No. 2 with Roberts as the #3 if that scenario works out is a big upgrade over 2013.

Last year we were relying on Morgan, Hankerson and Robinson behind Garçon.

My own opinion is that Roberts is clearly better than any of these players.

On Special Teams Doc Walker indicated that the core is usually made up of linebackers and safeties.

We had horrible coverage units in 2013 and I think that was in large measure because some of the players on teams didn't take their role seriously as professionals.

Bringing in Hayward is a step toward re-establishing Teams as a full one-third partner in helping the team win along with the O and D.

Under Gibbs 1 guys had pride being on the Skins ST.

We will need a couple more signings like this one to help change the culture on that unit.

Hayward was garnering attention from Philthy and Dallass, and by all accounts is a special teams ace. That's the exact type of signing I like to see; fills a glaring need, and punks division rivals as well!!

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Its nothing personal, and I too respect his knowledge. I just am a bit surprised at the seemingly endless "curmudginism"
That's just Ryman being Ryman.

Same here - definitely not personal and I respect his knowledge too. I don't even mind his critical nature. I think being critical is an important skill/trait.

I just question someone making such a post 8 1/2 hours into free agency, given our team's well known history, and why gruden is being blamed for it when he has nothing to do with it.
Knowing Ryman, I find it more surprising it TOOK 8½ hrs. :)

I have no problem with the Roberts signing. Good hands, good route runner and a mature guy that works hard.

Hayward was captain of the Bucs special teams and Lord knows we need veteran leadership on teams here given the debacle in 2013.
Agreed

The only move that really needs to be explained to me is Lauvao. From his bio and the Cleveland press this was a guy they thought they could do without quite nicely.

I could see signing this guy later on perhaps after the draft on a minimum deal but we gave him much better money than that.

Pro Football Focus had rated him a -16 for the 2013 season so I don't understand what he brings to the table that was needed here.

We already have an underperforming RG in Chester, we don't have to have two
Head scratcher for sure. Maybe they feel he's been in the wrong system/technique, and they project him to be better suited for what they have in mind. Chester is turrable. Younger/stronger has to be an upgrade, right? I just hope for best.

I have to admit I'm not really impressed so far either, but it's way too early to rant.

Our drafts will make or break this team, and we won't know how those will pan out for awhile.

So while I'm not thrilled with signing mediocre players to mediocre contracts so far, I'm going wait. And watch.

That said, I do find it amusing, Ryman, that you were so high on our 'top ten' defense from 2009, yet you are so ready to dismiss an offense of similar quality with the wave of your hand. I do not think the cupboard is nearly as bare on offense as you claim.

I'm not impressed with a lot of Redskins fans today. Seems too many still have Vinnyitus and still have a win now at all costs mentality. After all we've been through its a little disappointing. Not pointing any fingers here but moreso what's out there in social media.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I am looking for this team to rebound from 3-13 to 7-9.

I think 2015 is when we can start to look for more than that.

The first step back from the cliff edge is to be competitive again, which we were not in many games last year.

I'm going to say tha ti am impressed by the current regime. We might have positions that need addressing, and we haven't spent any money on things we don't need. We also haven't thrown any money at anybody, in addition to not letting, arguably, one of our best defensive players go. Not only did we not over-pay him and lock ourselves into a long term, expensive deal, we finally used a franchise tag on a deserving player. We also re-signed 2 other pieces of our defense, as well as an important leadership cog on the offensive side of the ball. We addressed receiver, without throwing money at the 'biggest name' in free agency on either side of the ball. We stuck to our guns on the prices we were willing to pay, and in turn, allowed a couple players receive very long and expensive deals.

The whole damned if you do, damned if you don't mentality is a little frustrating but I still believe in this front office. Dermarcus Ware/Jared Allen are going to get fat deals, and our name has not been linked to either player. Byrd/Talib got fat deals, and while we were considered to be players in those guys free agency, they got enormous deals that we frankly could not have afforded, and we didn't try. I like what I've seen, and I hope the patience continues.

For once I feel like we have a long term plan of how we want to build a team instead of constantly putting out fires with the flavor of the FA year.

Maybe I'm giving way more credit to a group of guys that don't deserve it, but I welcome this style of management.

I think Henry hit the nail in the head. The draft is going to be extremely important as a clue to what our front office is doing.

You beat me to it Lanky. :)

"This is my BOOM stick!"

Definitely too early to freak out ... and the Skins FO is miles ahead of the "Brain Trust" in Valley Ranch. We'll definitely know more after the draft ...

No freakouts here and yea Mike I need to see something before I am going to be convinced it's not same ole same ole. Impressing me? That will only come with wins.

Whether you agree with Ryman or not, and what you think falls into the category of being a homer and what doesn't, and where you fall along those categories, has nothing to do with how the team is structured.

There is not a HC monarchy in DC anymore. I know that makes it inconvenient because you can't lay all the blame at one person for everyone to point their pitchforks at, but the structure of this has changed dramatically.

Maybe Gruden wants Haslett, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he doesn't care. But the decision lays at the feet of Allen and no one else.

You can call being critical doom and gloom, I don't see it that way but if that's the label you want to use so be it. Same with being optimistic and calling that homerism.

Just point your pitchforks in the right direction.

Sorry if that's 'garbage' to you.

Not buying it...sorry. If the HC doesn't want the DC that's there he's fired whether it's Allen's final call or not. You're kidding yourself if you think Gruden is going to come into this situation with all the baggage attached and the record setting horrible year on D and keep the guy at the helm (even if he was interfered with Haslett has a long resume at this point) unless he wants to. When a DC is forced on a HC we all find out about it ala Zorn or Garrett and the media goes nuts about the HC being interfered with. Sorry that just doesn't pass the sniff test. Haslett is here only because Gruden is down with it.

Not buying it...sorry. If the HC doesn't want the DC that's there he's fired whether it's Allen's final call or not. You're kidding yourself if you think Gruden is going to come into this situation with all the baggage attached and the record setting horrible year on D and keep the guy at the helm (even if he was interfered with Haslett has a long resume at this point) unless he wants to. When a DC is forced on a HC we all find out about it ala Zorn or Garrett and the media goes nuts about the HC being interfered with. Sorry that just doesn't pass the sniff test. Haslett is here only because Gruden is down with it.

Well that's fine, but I don't see where you have anything to back that up. Whereas I have Allen saying he was going to be making the decisions, and no one saying Gruden would be, unless I missed or forgot something?

When Shanahan went out the door everyone said everything was his fault because from day one eh said he had total control.

From day one of the Allen regime Allen has said he's the one with all the control. But Haslett saying is Gruden's decision?

And that also completely ignores the idea that Gruden has anything to do with free agent acquisitions.

Yes, Haslett staying is absolutely on Gruden. No way he comes here if he doesn't want him, but he's forced on him. You can dance around the terminology all you want, but if Gruden wanted him gone, he's gone.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.