• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

NFL Pickem 2011!

Well - it doesn't have to be an 'either/or' proposition. If we get a little help funding prizes (we've mostly purchased out of pocket to date), no reason we can't have multiple contests.

Ax, how is picking against the spread luck? If anything, it takes more skill. Not only do you need to know the winner, you have to have a good idea of how many points will be scored.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
A player dropping a sure touchdown, forcing a team to settle for a FG, thereby affecting the spread total, is pure...dumb...luck.

A player dropping a sure touchdown, forcing a team to settle for a FG, thereby affecting the spread total, is pure...dumb...luck.

You could argue the same thing for a straight-up pick though...so I don't see how it effects spread more than W/L. That's my only point. Often times it will effect the W/L MORE, since the team doesn't have to win to beat the spread. Perfect example was Detroit/Chicago opening day last year - if you picked the Lions against the spread, you won. But if you picked the Lions straight up, you lost because of that awful call on Megatron's TD.

Speaking of which - get your picks in people!

You could argue the same thing for a straight-up pick though...so I don't see how it effects spread more than W/L. That's my only point. Often times it will effect the W/L MORE, since the team doesn't have to win to beat the spread. Perfect example was Detroit/Chicago opening day last year - if you picked the Lions against the spread, you won. But if you picked the Lions straight up, you lost because of that awful call on Megatron's TD.
Correct.

But I'd rather say I picked the winner, instead of, "I lucked out on a bad call."

It's a lot of luck either way. I just think it's MORE about luck when the spread is involved.

I prefer the straight-up version over the spread. I don't want to think THAT hard!

I prefer the straight-up version over the spread. I don't want to think THAT hard!

I kind of concur. Actually I like the idea of a choice of pick-ems-both straight up wins and spread-based. I find the idea of spread-based more intimidating also-someone good at that could make a nice living as a sports bettor.

This will be my worst week ever in this game - six losses in the early games and will probably lose two or three more. Just hoping to have a respectable finish by the end of the season.

Couldn't agree more. Picking NFL games these days, in this era of ultra-parity, is hard enough without having to factor in spreads.

Those guys who set the spreads know their stuff though, I'll give 'em that.

4-3 in the early games. Continued poor picking by me. I blame Grossman.

If I didn't believe in my Redskins, I'd be 7-0 so far today. ****ing Redskins.

Still struggling in this game. 4-3 on the early picks. I just need one ounce of luck - just one ounce of it. Sheeeeesh.

After the early games, Monkey and Dartboard is kicking everyone's butts!!

Friendly reminder to get your picks in folks. Lots of you who haven't yet done so. Good luck - I'm finding this week one of the toughest to get a bead on. Lot's of 3 point favorites on the road - which always makes it difficult (determining whether the home crowd will be enough to create some upsets).

Friendly reminder to get your picks in folks. Lots of you who haven't yet done so. Good luck - I'm finding this week one of the toughest to get a bead on. Lot's of 3 point favorites on the road - which always makes it difficult (determining whether the home crowd will be enough to create some upsets).

I'll help ya out (given my standing to date, you may choose to understandably ignore said help). There is no home field advantage anymore. The regular joe-fan has been priced out by luxury boxes, excessive concessions and corporate types. The home field advantage is a myth, excpeting a very few locations (Green Bay, Pitt, etc). Look at who you think is a better team, ignore the location of the game, imo.

Then again, I suck at Pick Em. :)

I'll help ya out (given my standing to date, you may choose to understandably ignore said help). There is no home field advantage anymore. The regular joe-fan has been priced out by luxury boxes, excessive concessions and corporate types. The home field advantage is a myth, excpeting a very few locations (Green Bay, Pitt, etc). Look at who you think is a better team, ignore the location of the game, imo.

Then again, I suck at Pick Em. :)

I notice the All Home selections this week are 9-3 with the Monday night game to go. Good enough for second place.

I notice the All Home selections this week are 9-3 with the Monday night game to go. Good enough for second place.

Hey! I threw the caveat in there that I suck at this!

EDIT: Doing well this week, actually. Every effin' week I tell myself I am going to pick against the Skins and then never do. I'd be right there with SO if I could just pull that trigger.

So far in the regular season, the home team has won 61% of the time. That doesn't necessarily equate to it being homefield that matters - but you're still more likely to win a home game than one on the road.

Don't forget - this week's slate of games starts on Thursday night! Get your picks in prior to the start of the Thursday night game please. If you miss it, I can manually enter your picks if you'll PM them to me, but you'll take a loss for Thursday night's game. And honestly, I'd prefer not to have to manually enter them for lots of folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.