• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Netflix Recommendations

Funny...I hated A Simple Plan. To each his own, I suppose.

Funny...I hated A Simple Plan. To each his own, I suppose.

Not exactly a feel-good movie but a great cast. Then again, I do have a major thing for Bridget Fonda so that may undercut my objectivity :)

Went through my list and picked several "oldies but goodies"in my opinion; some are very family friendly; some thriller/horror, classics, just plain fun to watch; but don't base whether you watch them on one or two .. very wide variety here... you may hate the first one, but love the second and so on.

39 Steps
And Then There Were None (1945)
Arsenic and Old Lace

Batteries Not Included (Cute Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn; not a classic but it's cute and family-friendly)

Billy Jack: Born Losers
Billy Jack
The Trial of Billy Jack
Billy Jack Goes to Washington
(of the Billy Jack movies, the 2nd and 3rd are my
favorites)
Broken Arrow (Jimmy Stewart)
Coma
D.A.R.Y.L. (cute, family movie; somewhat sci fi)
Dante's Peak (Pierce Brosnan, Helen Hunt)
DeathTrap (Christopher Reeves)

Showtime Series: Dexter (okay, not old, but I love it)

Speaking of Dexter, Six Feet Under (HBO series)

Eight Below (sad, based on true story)

Greyfriar's Bobby (2 versions, 2005 and an older 1; both good)

Enemy Mine
Eragon (when I saw previews thought I would hate this; turned out not so bad)
Finder's Fee
Firefly (series) and Serenity (movie)
Flight of the Navigator (fun Disney movie for family)
Frailty
The Guardian

The House of the Long Shadows (Not sure netflix has this but if you can your hands on it; older version is called Seven Keys to Baldpate (i have both)); has Desi Arnaz, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing; but if you can get your hands on a copy it's worth it)

The Illusionist
Iron Eagle
The Island (remake of Logan's Run in a sense, also recommended)

The Man From Snowy River
Matchstick Men
The Mummy Collection (Boris Karloff)
North By Northwest
Pandora's Clockl
Phantasm movies (the first one of the scariest movies I've ever seen, the sequels not so good)
Purgatory (western)
Shop Around the Corner
Summer School
Taking Chance
Time After Time (David Warner, Malcolm McDowell)
Wargames
What Dreams May Come

There is a large variety here. I am always looking for older movies that are interesting and entertaining; sometimes the previews of a movie turn me away from it, but when I'm forced or pushed to watch it, I end up liking it, surprisingly so.

I hope you find at least a couple on this list that you haven't seen and enjoy once you see them.

I thought my wife and I were the only ones to see that movie. I have recommended it to all my friends, especially the football fans, and still none of them have seen it. One of my favorite football movies.

I've seen it and love it as well! That is one of the reasons I went ahead and put my list up.. I assume most people see any movie I've seen, but when you wrote that you thought perhaps you were the only ones that had seen that, I figured, I'd put a list up of some of the movies I rented because "it sounded interesting' and ended up really liking it.

Few more to add:

The Italian Job
Meet Joe Black
Key Largo
Desk Set

Not exactly a feel-good movie but a great cast. Then again, I do have a major thing for Bridget Fonda so that may undercut my objectivity :)

See...I kind of hate Bill Paxton. Yes, Bridget Fonda is money though. :)

Wonder if Netflix has these two...

They Call Me Trinity
Trinity Is Still My Name

Two classics - hilarious stuff.

They have those Burgundy Burner. I will have to check them out.

I know it is in theaters, but people need to check out The Town....great movie.

Just finished "Shine" with Geoffrey Rush. Terrific movie, well worth checking out.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Just watched Sneakers with the two oldest kids. That's a lot of fun, great popcorn flick if you haven't seen it. Great cast with Redford, Poitier, Akroyd, River Phoenix, Mary McDonald, David Straitharn, Ben Kingsley.

I watched 'About a Boy' last night. Not a huge Hugh Grant fan, but this is a cute movie and he is perfectly cast as a guy who pretends to be a single dad in order to pick up chicks and, by his own admission, is 'a blank slate'.

Yeah, that was good, i saw that a few years ago. My wife loves Hugh Grant, or as she refers to him, the future Mr.Mrs. Goaldeje, know when I die of natural causes (she says with an evil glint in her eyes).

Anyway, we watch a LOT of his movies.

If you like martial arts movies, check out IP Man. It is streaming right now on Netflix.

I keep flipping back and forth between the Steelers and Ravens and Anaconda, worth watching because Jennifer Lopez has a wet shirt and nice butt the whole movie.

Did you guys see Roethlisberger's broken nose?

Holy cow. That was nearly as gross as Theismann getting his leg broken. Seriously. He took his helmet off, and his nose was halfway across the other side of his face.

Nasty.

Holy cow. That was nearly as gross as Theismann getting his leg broken. Seriously. He took his helmet off, and his nose was halfway across the other side of his face.

Nasty.

Yeah, I saw it. Miller just got crushed. It looked like a helmet to helmet. Big fine expected there.

Naaah. Sorry about that :)

Nasty.

Yeah, I saw it. Frickin' disgusting.

Much rather go back to talking about J-Lo's butt, please.

Doubt is on Starz tonight. Wow. Damn. Meryl and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are nothing short of amazing. Just a stunning display of acting.

I have heard good things about Doubt. Waiting for it to come back to Netflix streaming.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.