• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My Money is on Elephant watching the Packers, not the Skins today :)

Well I suppose that's a better indication than being stuck behind JaMarcus, as an NFL starter :laugh:

:laugh: I almost hesitated saying he sat behind Russell in college knowing it's not such a good thing to have on a resume.

I know of another quaterback who sat behind an NFL bust in college when he was in michigan, only to get drafted as a 6th rounder who was " tall and not a superior athlete" only to become one of the best quarterbacks in history. but then Brady isnt a great comparison because he didnt start and win a national championship in his senior year. just sayin.

Saying Flynn won a National Championship is like saying Trent Dilfer won a superbowl. That LSU team was dominant for a lot of reasons, QB being a small piece of the puzzle.

I can't believe that Redskins fans rail on this team for not drafting the QB of the future, for not focusing on the draft to fix the holes in the roster for YEARS. As long as I've been a fan, people have been saying this! Now, the Skins are in prime position to do exactly that - draft the QB of the future, and people want Matt Flynn instead.

I will admit - 6TDs in one game is rather impressive, but it was just that - one game. Pat Ramsey looked pretty impressive in at least a couple games also. Its a pretty big list of players who looked good in their first few games, then completely shat the bed once teams had tape on them.

6TDs in one game is pretty impressive - but how about more TDs than incompletions? How about throwing for 4000 yards with over 72% accuracy? Griffin is the real deal, and would be a bonafide, home grown talent drafted at the QB position. I for one will be sick every Monday morning watching him on Sportscenter's top 10 plays with another jersey on for the next 10 years if we don't draft him, while the Redskins toil away in mediocrity with yet another retread at QB.

I think the idea is would we rather have RG3 and very little else in the draft. Or whether we have Flynn and all our draft picks. Let's say Blackmon falls to six. A great WR could make Flynn look like a superstar even if he isn't. I go back and fourth but let's say they take another playmaker on offense in round two. Now you have Flynn but you also have several guys who can stretch the field. As you know when you stretch the field it makes the running game better. Helu and Royster would get chunks of yards! Plus with Flynn they have the draft picks to build on the O-line. If you trade up for RG3 the O-line will still be average or even below average.

In short, I haven't made up my mind yet. RG3 looks like the real deal. He could be one of those franchise QBs that everybody wants.

I'll change my mind five times in the next month.

We have 9 picks in this draft - its not going to take all 9 to move up 3-4 spots. :)

Also, just as a reminder, Marques Colston was drafted in the 7th round. Blackmon will be a monster, and I would love to see him in the B&G - but there are plenty of WRs out there who will look fantastic with RG3 throwing them the ball.

We have 9 picks in this draft - its not going to take all 9 to move up 3-4 spots. :)

Also, just as a reminder, Marques Colston was drafted in the 7th round. Blackmon will be a monster, and I would love to see him in the B&G - but there are plenty of WRs out there who will look fantastic with RG3 throwing them the ball.

I think Colston is a product of the scheme on NO. Plus he has missed a lot of games with injury. One thing I will say is Bruce Allen is a dealer and he might be able to move us up without it killing us but I would say moving up from 6 to 2 that would cost us our first three draft picks. Steep! I would like to say for the record that I am not against the idea of it I am just talking thru it from both sides.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Both sides have a ton of merit to them. But I keep coming back to the opportunity cost of not drafting RG3. Think about the decision in this framework for a second:

Imagine RG3 isn't even a football player. He's just your neighbor's kid down the street.

1. He graduated HS a semester early. That shows a little drive.

2. He graduated college at 20, and is already in the master's program. That shows a hell of a lot of drive.

3. After his master's, he is going to law school. That is one seriously driven individual.

4. He has trained his entire life, setting multiple state records in hurdles, and made it to the Olympic camp. He made it to the semifinals for the US track and field team. That's a lifetime of insane drive and dedication.

To do any of the above shows strong character and motivation.

To do all of those, plus being the starting QB on a collegiate team, and winning the Heisman trophy? That's absolutely incredible.

Other intangibles:

He doesn't drink.
He doesn't smoke.
He comes from a good home. His parents are military. He knows discipline.
He has no kids.

He gets a huge A+ on character, intelligence and intangibles.

World class character, intelligence and intangibles + world class arm and accuracy + world class speed.

What's he missing? What is keeping him from being the absolute dream QB prospect? What would make him any more attractive?

I can't think of anything. Football fans pray for someone like this to be available when it's their turn to grab a QB. I believe you have to go get him.

I would give up every pick this year to move up to grab Griffin. The ability to grab a long-term difference-maker at QB is worth delaying building a supporting cast by a year. What I wouldn't support is trading 3 or 4 1st round selections, because if you do that, you are really hampering your ability to draft some future stars at other positions.

Saying Flynn won a National Championship is like saying Trent Dilfer won a superbowl. That LSU team was dominant for a lot of reasons, QB being a small piece of the puzzle.

If you were talking about this year's LSU team this would make sense, but the LSU team of 2007? No! They were not even close to dominant that year! But when the big game arrived, Flynn had another solid 4 TD performance.

And for the record, I do not care how we acquire a franchise QB. I have never advocated drafting any QB by giving up picks. We are not in a position to give up the farm for a "potentially great" QB. We can pay cash for a very solid free agent, but not draft picks. We still have too many holes/depth to fill.

Last edited:
I would give up every pick this year to move up to grab Griffin. The ability to grab a long-term difference-maker at QB is worth delaying building a supporting cast by a year. What I wouldn't support is trading 3 or 4 1st round selections, because if you do that, you are really hampering your ability to draft some future stars at other positions.

Boone, would you give up more than one #1 pick, in any scenario ? Like at least this year's and next year's #1, or more ?

TJ Yates yesterday proved that all we really need is a solid QB who will not make boneheaded errors. He played very well in a very similar scheme.

I'd say he had more talent available to him than we have-not to mention a better DC.

I'd say he had more talent available to him than we have-not to mention a better DC.

I erased that part of the comment because I didn't word it correctly. What TJ Yates showed yesterday is that we don't need to waste draft picks on RGIII in order to succeed. There are other methods to acquire a solid QB. There were 2 rookie QB's in yesterday's game and neither of them were 1st round picks.

And yes serv, he had more talent. Talent we need to acquire with the draft picks we have, along with a FA signing or 2.

The more I read about him the more I would be ok with getting RG3, BUT not by selling the farm to get him, and I think that people would revolt if all we did to improve was trade this year for another year of below average play. I would give up a 1 and 3 this year maybe with someone like landry or even Rak to get him , but thats because neither of those guys has given us what they should have and we would need that second rounder to get him a receiver or a LT.

Well, can't trade Landry unless he is re-signed, which I find unlikely. Even if they do re-sign him, he probably won't have much trade value with a bum achilles, right?

I still don't think we'll have to give up the farm to move up for Griffin - there will be offers, and it will likely be more than usual, but I don't think it will be much more than this year's first & next year's first, plus maybe a 2nd this year and a player. All worth it for a QB of that caliber.

According to NFL Draft Countdown's Scott Wright, it would take #6 plus our second rounder and a 1st in 2013 to move up to #2 overall for Griffin (or Luck, if the Colts go in that direction). That seems like a steal to get Griffin!
Problem is, the overrated, just got their asses handed to them by a team that couldn't beat Rex ****in Grossman, Atlanta Falcons set the bar ridiculously high with their trade just last year.

2-1st's, a 2nd, and 2-4th's, to move up to the 6th spot. Which is where we're starting from this year.

****ing assholes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.