• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My Bad: Redskins May Get High Pick After All

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
The WP post-mortem on the game today noted the Redskins lost to a one win team for the second week in a row and had suffered some additional injuries to key players Moss and Fletcher that had impacted the contest.

When you look at where this team is now at 3-3 and the games that are to come you can make an argument that with the injuries and the lack of sharp play from the quarterback position, Washington won't be favored in more than a couple of the final 10 games and may be hard-pressed to get back to the 6-10 record the team finished with in 2010 playing a much easier schedule.

With that in mind my apologies to those that were certain the Redskins would find their quarterback in Round 1 of the 2012 draft and trading for a veteran or signing one was not necesary.

At the time I wrote the post about Kyle Orton I actually thought this team was playing well enough in other areas for a competitive 7-9 or 8-8 team to maybe be better than that with a trade to shore up at qb.

It seems clearer now that the team that started 3-1 and is now 3-3 is once again a candidate to finish in last place.

Older players the team was counting on early such as Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney are either hurt or performing poorly. This was Gaffney's second poor game in a row. One questions how long he will be in the starting lineup.

Tim Hightower looks as if he has durability issues and may not be a guy you give more than 8-10 touches a game to as a third down back.

Lastly, the quarterbacks for Washington seem congenitally disposed towards turnovers and for a team whose talent level while building is still limited, that spells trouble in trying to secure victories in the close games they play.

The Redskins may have the choice of Landry Jones, Matt Barkley or other passers, or the chance to move down again in Round 1 and still pickup a qb and another high choice if the situation presents itself.

Again, my bad. As Dennis Green said: 'they are who we thought they were' .......(now)....

with the injuries in combo with the play... we have gone from a hopeful season to a possible death spiral really quickly. I hope we can pull out of it, but the injuries are really piling up and we weren't a deep team to begin with.

Too many needs to spend it all on a high ranked QB in the next draft. We need another very productive draft, so trading down seems to be the best rout in my eyes.

well, the injuries are playing a part. but let's face it, the production at quarterback right now and at running back/wide receiver is par for the course of what we have seen so far outside of that well-executed opening game against the Giants.

it's very possible that after being in first place during the bye, the Redskins could be in last place after next week's game.

The 3-1 start gave too many people too much hope.

This team is still 2 good offseasons away from being a contender.

It must start though with getting a top flight QB in this draft

Now it appears as if the team will get that chance, although some clubs like the Dolphins and Rams seem to be doing their best to go 0-16 :laugh:

The Redskins do appear poised to be in last place in the NFC East next week, which is a quick slide down the pole from the bye week.

I think when the team realized that Rex Grossman was not going to be the quarterback they all hoped and was replaced in the lineup, the Redskins let down a bit. And then when you add in the injuries and the tougher schedule coming up, it's the perfect storm.

As Chris Carter said, as a coach you can lose your job banking on Rex Grossman being consistent.

Now it appears as if the team will get that chance, although some clubs like the Dolphins and Rams seem to be doing their best to go 0-16 :laugh:

The Redskins do appear poised to be in last place in the NFC East next week, which is a quick slide down the pole from the bye week.

I think when the team realized that Rex Grossman was not going to be the quarterback they all hoped and was replaced in the lineup, the Redskins let down a bit. And then when you add in the injuries and the tougher schedule coming up, it's the perfect storm.

As Chris Carter said, as a coach you can lose your job banking on Rex Grossman being consistent.

Agree. And sadly a 3-13 finish gets us the number 5 or 6 pick :(

well, the injuries are playing a part. but let's face it, the production at quarterback right now and at running back/wide receiver is par for the course of what we have seen so far outside of that well-executed opening game against the Giants.

it's very possible that after being in first place during the bye, the Redskins could be in last place after next week's game.

Or not... Time will tell, but we won't be facing an extremely mobile QB this week. If Hall can get his head out his ass, we might stand a chance. Not that I'm saying he's the entire problem on D, but you can butter it as much as you want, he's still burnt toast.

should be able to get a good quarterback with a top 10 pick that is not Andrew Luck, though.

remember that Ben Roethlisberger (#11) and Aaron Rogers (#24) just played in the last Super Bowl.

as long as Washington is in the top 8-10 picks there is some control over the draft board in terms of making picks or trades for picks.

Just before the season started, I said we would be 5-11. As mentioned then, it will be a good 5-11 with some encouraging signs and some disappointments. That is pretty much where we are at this point in the season.

We could be getting close to seeing more rookies on the field and evaluating their impact(s) in the future. For example, Hankerson made a huge mistake and he should learn from it and improve with experience. Niles Paul had a good game. Helu has had some good games. Kerrigan is incredible. Neild is looking like a quality backup at DT. Gomes is gaining a lot of experience and his future is looking good. Jarvis Jenkins should return to us 100% healthy and could have a great 2012.

The disappointments are not fun. We lost Jenkins for the year. LaRon Landry is not 100%. Lich is out for the year. Trent is out for several games. Hightower is now hurt. Cooley is out for several games - maybe more. Banks is hobbling. Atogwe is hurting. Moss could be out for the season.

Ups and downs. That is what you experience during a rebuilding process.

I think one thing we are learning is that Hightower and Torain are backups. Neither is fast enough or durable enough to be a 16 game standard bearer for a top producing offense.

And of the men in front of them the Redskins right now don't have an anchor player on the offensive line.

Trent Williams is still an inconsistent player at LT. Jammal Brown is a question mark at RT for the future beyond 2011. I think there is a question about the talent level of the interior OL with Montgomery, Chester and a healthy Lichtensteiger.

This season is becoming death by a million papercuts. No heavy bleeding but we are slowly just becoming decrepate again.

It feels like we're still standing in the same spot as when Norv was first hired.

Not good.

The 3-1 start gave too many people too much hope.

This team is still 2 good offseasons away from being a contender.

I agree here. Although I've been bitching about re -stocking the O-Line for 10 years now, it's become apparent that a ****ty QB on a ****ty team is taking us nowhere. OTOH, a top flight QB on a ****ty team might be the difference in a game or two to start.

IF there is a "no miss" type in the top 10 picks (Which it looks like we're going to be in) I think we have to pull the trigger

It feels like we're still standing in the same spot as when Norv was first hired.

Not good.
The jinx of JKC lives.

He moved us out of DC, infected the fan base with Norvitus, and intentionally relinquished ownership to the winds of chance.

This cannot be stressed enough: we NEED to draft a QB. Whether it be Andrew Luck, Tannehill, Jones, Griffin, whoever. There is simply no way to avoid the fact we MUST draft a QB in this draft.

Starting this week, the youngsters should start playing more and more. Shanahan said we would be talking about Niles Paul soon - well then, make us talk about him! Get him on the field! And I hate when players like Hankerson rot on the bench; of course he sucks, he has no game experience. Let him sink or swim.

Yes. There was a miscommunication between Hank and Beck yesterday. My money says that won't happen again, it was a learning experience. The kids need as many of these learning experiences as they can get, it will only make them better.

Seems everybody is all bunged about Cooley being out. I love the hell out of Cooley, but realistically, we don't really have a drop off in production with Davis and now Paulsen getting some reps.

We also need to get Darrel Young involved. He's capable of more then blocking.

Looks to me that the Colts are trying to get Luck as their successor for Peyton Manning.

Looks to me that the Colts are trying to get Luck as their successor for Peyton Manning.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is being done on purpose. I would love it if the Dolphins and Rams finished lower than the Colts. Those players and coaches for the Colts were told to tank the season for Luck. It's too obvious. It will never be proven, but I hope it blows up in their faces.

Best case scenario for the Redskins would be for the Rams to get the first pick and make a friendly trade with us. They would get a lot of picks and the Redskins get the best QB and can add players via FA (and target good players as we did during this last offseason).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.