• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

My Bad: Redskins May Get High Pick After All

I really dot want break the bank for a QB i would rather continue drafting and get some quality free agents and hope we can get a QB that slips in the draft

I am sick of hearing everyone automatically blame the QB.
The way the rest of the team played (and got hurt) yesterday, we would probably still would have lost even if we had Luck or an experienced franchise QB

I am sick of hearing everyone automatically blame the QB.
The way the rest of the team played (and got hurt) yesterday, we would probably still would have lost even if we had Luck or an experienced franchise QB

You're probably right. And Beck had a halfway decent day. I think what everyone here is saying is we need someone who's not 30 or more years old to lead the way.

You're probably right. And Beck had a halfway decent day. I think what everyone here is saying is we need someone who's not 30 or more years old to lead the way.

Beck doesn't have the same mileage of a typical 30 year old QB. He's hardly been banged up in his NFL career, so he has the body of a 23 year old. Add to that fact, that QB's generally have a longer career than most other positions in the NFL.

Beck doesn't have the same mileage of a typical 30 year old QB. He's hardly been banged up in his NFL career, so he has the body of a 23 year old. Add to that fact, that QB's generally have a longer career than most other positions in the NFL.

Beck doesn't have near the skills or vision of a Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees, Newton, ect. The Redskins need their QB for the rest of the team to really buy in. Look how inspired the Panthers are playing. They still have issues to correct, but it's easy to see they are on their way with Newton. When was the last time we had that in DC?

And did you see Minn put up a fight against Green Bay with Ponder at the helm?

Beck doesn't have near the skills or vision of a Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees, Newton, ect.

I don't see how that's relevant. The issue was age, not talent.
But if you want to talk talent, that's fine anyway - obviously we don't have a Manning, etc, and we don't need one, as we've seen time and time again where teams win a Super Bowl with an average QB, or far less than a franchise QB.

Too many needs to spend it all on a high ranked QB in the next draft. We need another very productive draft, so trading down seems to be the best rout in my eyes.

Arrghh.

The only sure way to draft a great QB is to a) get him when you stink or b) get really lucky. If you wait until the team is average to pull the trigger at QB, you end up with Jason Campbell.

If the Skins have a top ten pick in a deep QB draft and take anyone other than a QB, there should be pitchforks and torches on the march to Ashburn.

This cannot be stressed enough: we NEED to draft a QB. Whether it be Andrew Luck, Tannehill, Jones, Griffin, whoever. There is simply no way to avoid the fact we MUST draft a QB in this draft.

Starting this week, the youngsters should start playing more and more. Shanahan said we would be talking about Niles Paul soon - well then, make us talk about him! Get him on the field! And I hate when players like Hankerson rot on the bench; of course he sucks, he has no game experience. Let him sink or swim.

lanky...not picking a fight...were you among those who did not want to draft QB with our 1st rnd pick last draft? I recall a lot of Skins fans who did not want to. now it seems the strategy is shifting. we got great value with kerrigan...not making a case one way or another (though I favored drafting a QB) just trying to figure out the shifting winds here.

Beck doesn't have near the skills or vision of a Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees, Newton, ect. The Redskins need their QB for the rest of the team to really buy in. Look how inspired the Panthers are playing. They still have issues to correct, but it's easy to see they are on their way with Newton. When was the last time we had that in DC?

It's really amazing what a young stud at that position can do to a team. Carolina was mocked this offseason for largely bringing back the team that was the worst in football. And - now - they look like a team that is a few easy moves away from being a Wild Card Contender next year.

For some reason, teams never have to wait ten years to find a good inside linebacker or a decent safety. You can fill those kinds of needs in one decent draft. It's QB that will take years off your life.

lanky...not picking a fight...were you among those who did not want to draft QB with our 1st rnd pick last draft? I recall a lot of Skins fans who did not want to. now it seems the strategy is shifting. we got great value with kerrigan...not making a case one way or another (though I favored drafting a QB) just trying to figure out the shifting winds here.

Last year was tricky because the team seemed really hopeless and the draft seemed weak at QB and no one was really sure that there was going to be a season. I still am trying to deal with the fact that a) Christian Ponder was a first round pick and b) that might have been a good move.

I still think it was unforgiveable to come into the season with the two options being just Beck or Grossman. There was no reason not to end up with Dalton, Kirkpatrick, or Mallette. A team could reasonably take someone like that and still be in position to either Suck for Luck or get the booby prize of Jones and company.

I mean, I think Jarvis Jenkins is going to be good someday, but I think you can find a player like that in the first three rounds in practically any draft.

This is basically the first year of the rebuild.

Because of the uncapped year in 2010 the Redskins were unable to acquire younger free agents who were 25 or 26 when they shed the veterans.

The team was left scrambling to find guys like Kemoeatu and Anthony Bryant because no one else was available.

In the draft the Redskins had the #4 pick but nothing else. The gamble on McNabb didn't pay off and as a consequence there were no other impact rookies in burgundy and gold after Trent Williams was taken.

If the Redskins had had the 10-12 picks LAST year and regular free agency, perhaps this rebuild could have gone more quickly.

Certainly the McNabb trade cost time and money.

In the end though the Redskins did add a good number of solid players in the 2011 offseason and one would expect going forward that the same type of attention to the offensive skill positions will follow this season.

I had this team at 7-9 this season and finishing high enough to get a pick between #8-#11 with which to select a quarterback or trade down for one.

Let's remember that Roethlisberger and Rodgers were BOTH found in the first round AFTER the #10 pick.

So, you don't need the #1 pick necessarily to find a franchise passer.

Shanahan, though, would have been wiser to enter this season with a 'wait and see' attitude rather than so strongly putting it out there that Grossman and Beck were 'the' guys to run this system and win in the NFL.

These guys are placeholders and nothing more.

Well, I was in that crowd b/c the team had so many needs, and I wasn't excited about any of the QBs in that draft other than Newton. Also, I honestly believed that rex would play a lot better than he has so far. He certainly looked good enough for a season or 2 at the end of last season. I was very happy with the offseason additions through the draft and FA.

Problem was Rex did not eliminate the turnovers as expected and just didn't play as well as hoped. Now the team is in a totally different position with a lot more decent youth on the roster. They really need to draft a QB that is ready to play this offseason. If that happens successfully, and they manage to bolster the oline and maybe even add a WR I think the team has a real shot to compete over the next several seasons.

The overhaul you saw on defense this past offseason is needed on offense.

New quarterback.

New #1 receiver.

New linemen at OG and perhaps RT as well.

Figuring that the team is going to select a quarterback in the draft, that leaves free agency as the most likely place to find a primary receiver and veteran OL.

You are correct - there were no QBs worthy of a #1 last year IMO. Last year's QB crop was nowhere near as deep as this year's. I was, however, a proponent of Dalton in the 2nd round.

Naturally the strategy will shift from draft to draft, depending on what positions are deeper than others.

I mean, I think Jarvis Jenkins is going to be good someday, but I think you can find a player like that in the first three rounds in practically any draft.

Disagree strongly here. Dominant DL players are definitely not found in every draft.

Kerrigan and Jenkins were the right choices. Everyone here always talks about taking care of the talent up front on both sides of the ball as the hallmark of your team, so let's not be pollyanas now that the Redskins did that instead of taking a quarterback.

It's not like the Redskins were in position to grab Cam Newton or Andrew Luck.

Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder look like they may be decent NFL quarterbacks, what if Kerrigan and Jenkins turn out to be superior talents in the front seven? :)

obviously we don't have a Manning, etc, and we don't need one, as we've seen time and time again where teams win a Super Bowl with an average QB, or far less than a franchise QB.

Time and time again? Let's look at the last 20 years:

Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien
Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young
Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXXI - Brett Favre
Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner
Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson
Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning
Super Bowl XLII - Eli Manning
Super Bowl XLIII - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLIV - Drew Brees
Super Bowl XLV - Aaron Rodgers

Pretty much all of those guys are HOFers except for Eli, Dilfer, and Rypien.

Edit: Add Johnson to the list of Non HOFers, but I would definitely say he, Rypien, and Eli are above average.

Time and time again? Let's look at the last 20 years:

Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien
Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young
Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman
Super Bowl XXXI - Brett Favre
Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway
Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner
Super Bowl XXXV - Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl XXXVI - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXVII - Brad Johnson
Super Bowl XXXVIII - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XXXIX - Tom Brady
Super Bowl XL - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLI - Peyton Manning
Super Bowl XLII - Eli Manning
Super Bowl XLIII - Ben Roethlisberger
Super Bowl XLIV - Drew Brees
Super Bowl XLV - Aaron Rodgers

Pretty much all of those guys are HOFers except for Eli, Dilfer, and Rypien.

You or I could have QB'd the Ravens and Bucs to SB victories - those defenses were nasty.

Yes, but where were some of these quarterbacks taken? :)

Drew Brees - second round pick
Tom Brady - sixth round pick
Kurt Warner - undrafted free agent
Ben Roethlisberger - mid first round selection
Aaron Rodgers - late first round selection

most of these players were NOT top 3-5 picks in the draft.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.