• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mushroom Growing

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I had been seeing numerous ads online for mushroom growing kits and decided to buy a couple and see how they'd do. If anyone is interested, I used 'Nearby Naturals' which claim to make much larger kits than a lot of their competitors. They are definitely fairly large - the benefit being that the substrate (in this case, a big block of sawdust with other nutrients added) can supposedly produce more mushrooms. You can theoretically get multiple 'flushes' of mushrooms from the block if you manage it correctly.

Basically, it's a matter of taking the block, innoculated with mushroom spore that's been allowed to colonize and form 'mycelium', and keeping it moist until the mushrooms 'pin' (pop-up out of the block). Once that happens, depending on the mushroom type, they can grow slowly or very rapidly.

I tried an oyster mushroom kit (this variety called 'Pioneer') and a 'Lions Mane' kit. The oyster mushrooms immediately pinned and were ready to harvest in just 4-5 days. The Lion's Mane has grown very slowly but is close to being ready to harvest.

I'm just dipping my toes in this right now. I don't have the space to have my own mushroom farm at the moment. I did buy a book to study how to make my own substrate and colonize it so that I could do this affordably in the future. Pretty interesting stuff.

C08D8165-4ECB-4E92-B04F-E75EDAA5EC43.jpeg
635B45FF-B1A0-4BA4-9CB8-85150D2DD538.jpeg
31FF9D7E-48D9-499B-B7EE-D2D623C3F72C.jpeg

That is awesome!

I have personally become very fond of mushrooms for several months now.

Being solely a plant-based eater at this point in my life, they have become a very versatile food that my wife and I include in many of our meals.

I never knew there was such a thing. We might have to look into this ourselves.

Thank you!

Can't say I've ever had the desire to grow mushrooms or even had the thought but that is pretty dang cool.

I harvested and sauteed the Lions Mane mushroom in olive oil and garlic - it was really good. Extremely meaty... you could definitely slice them thick and sub for a hamburger patty on a bun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.