• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Mike Wise: Teammates to Albert Haynesworth: You should be at Redskins Park

I really don't care what the media guys say ... when a Daniels talks though, even a Doughty, in the manner they are, you have to sit up and listen. Teammates don't bust openly on other teammates easily.

These guys are pissed---if these are the comments they are making publicly, you can probably multiply the level of intensity many times over in terms of what they're saying in private.

Clearly, the defense is better with a motivated AH. Even better if he knows wtf is going on in the new scheme. Also clearly, every day he is the one player not here ... due solely to his own choice, not some injury or other factor ... he is hurting both the knowledge/familiarity level (not that he can't make it up, but it isn't helping the transition), and the team-building/camaraderie level.

Absolutely, the Redskins would be best served with his big butt here and working itself off. Seems to me with each day that goes by however, and as the angry buzz grows not from media knuckleheads but from his teammates, it is less and less likely they will have him in uniform and ready to rock when it counts in September.

The Redskins can "wait and see" for another few weeks I suppose .... but again, if what's coming out in the press through the players is any indication, the general feeling in the locker room is that big boy has very little time left to get it right before it's too late. The bus Daniels & Co are throwing AH under will run him over and leave him behind.

One of the biggest criticisms of Haynesworth going into free-agency was his motor. How was he going to respond once he got the huge payday? At least a few people predicted that he would get paid, then go back to being fat and lazy. His own words discredited that, he said all the right things once signing with the Skins, and then promptly went back to being fat and lazy. It remains to be seen whether or not he's going to actually work this offseason, or if it will be more of the same (with the Redskins or any other team). He has been paid, nothing to work for anymore.

When AH signed with Redskins, little over year ago, he talked about how he wanted to be like Reggie White. May be wrong, but don't remember Reggie White pulling something like this. Reggie was always a great teammate.

Regardless of what Big Al feels about playing NT, he has to remember he needs the respect of those around him.

cut off your nose to spite your face?

Your making Fat Albert sound like the greatest thing since Pizza and Beer, when he barely was a factor when he was on the field. Blaming his poor condition on the teams training regiment is one of the biggest jokes I've ever heard.

well..yes and no. keeping to your vision and principles is also part of life. there is good change and bad change (I will avoid political references in deference to a fellow Skins fan!).

Keeping to your principles and vision is part of life, but you're stretching it a bit far here as that type of statement applies more to life, not football.

Vision..... I'm gonna be one of, if not the best defensive players in the NFL, not............. I'm gonna leave my teammates hangin if I don't get to do exactly what I want to do, when I want to do it no matter what the coaches think.

He's supposed to be a professional on and off the field, and when your getting paid that much to play the game, you jump when they say jump. Hell, even Portis knows he wasn't gonna get away with the normal **** he's pulled year after year with the Skins.

Principles ? How anybody can bring up principals associated with a guy who attacked, and injured a defenseless player in the past is beyond me.

Still a non cap year. Cut his ass and be done with him

Maybe this will teach the danny a lesson

I disagree. If he's not a good shape when he shows up for the next minicamp, IF he shows up for the next minicamp, put his butt on the PUP list. If he won't shape up, tell him to give back 30 mil and he'll get his wish to get cut, otherwise, leave him dangling until the end of his contract. He needs to be taught a lesson.

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I think he'll report for the next minicamp in good enough shape to contribute. If he shows up and I'm Shanahan, I work his butt off in Training Camp and wear his arse out during the preseason so he really does get in shape.

I really don't care what the media guys say ... when a Daniels talks though, even a Doughty, in the manner they are, you have to sit up and listen. Teammates don't bust openly on other teammates easily.

These guys are pissed---if these are the comments they are making publicly, you can probably multiply the level of intensity many times over in terms of what they're saying in private.

Clearly, the defense is better with a motivated AH. Even better if he knows wtf is going on in the new scheme. Also clearly, every day he is the one player not here ... due solely to his own choice, not some injury or other factor ... he is hurting both the knowledge/familiarity level (not that he can't make it up, but it isn't helping the transition), and the team-building/camaraderie level.

Absolutely, the Redskins would be best served with his big butt here and working itself off. Seems to me with each day that goes by however, and as the angry buzz grows not from media knuckleheads but from his teammates, it is less and less likely they will have him in uniform and ready to rock when it counts in September.

The Redskins can "wait and see" for another few weeks I suppose .... but again, if what's coming out in the press through the players is any indication, the general feeling in the locker room is that big boy has very little time left to get it right before it's too late. The bus Daniels & Co are throwing AH under will run him over and leave him behind.

yes..two players making tepid statments to the effect of "you should be here" do make a majority not too different from when certain players made similar comments about Sean Taylor back in the day...and I suppose we should take due cognizance of Mr Jackson's public statements about Mr McNabb because Mr Jackson was part of the locker room.

no one disagrees that in the best of all possible worlds AH ought to be here even though his contract says he doesn't have to. if this falls apart...in my book it signifies two things: AH is a child in a man's body who is deserving of contempt; Shanahan/Allen and company don't have the savvy to deal with their first major challenge.

in the end....AH will have the last laugh. daniels and doughty are lovable Skins but second tier talents with short-run futures. Haynesworth can bank his money and get more from some other team while the Skins can feel virtuous. this is about value and extracting it. it's the job of leaders to turn this negative around. I'm tired of the Skins frittering away one resource after another. get the player in camp and change his mindset. that's what leaders do. any other outcome is a failure by all parties.

I know! Let's trade AH to the Iggles for a second rounder next year!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it doesn't work out, it'll have nothing to do with Shanahan/Allen. Snyder and Cerrato gave Haynesworth a king's ransom with no strings attached, leaving Shanahan and Allen with no leverage. 'We'll sit you'. Go ahead, I'm filthy rich. 'We'll trade you'. Go ahead, I'm filthy rich. 'We'll release you'. Go ahead, I'm filthy rich.

And the truth is, there is no such thing as 'the Skins' frittering anything away. There are, however, previous idiot moves made by Snyder and Cerrato. You won't see Allen and Shanahan make similar mistakes. And they aren't accountable for one's they inherited, nor should they be judged if they can't perform miracles.

Like getting AH to act like a man. :)

If it doesn't work out, it'll have nothing to do with Shanahan/Allen. Snyder and Cerrato gave Haynesworth a king's ransom with no strings attached, leaving Shanahan and Allen with no leverage. 'We'll sit you'. Go ahead, I'm filthy rich. 'We'll trade you'. Go ahead, I'm filthy rich. 'We'll release you'. Go ahead, I'm filthy rich.

And the truth is, there is no such thing as 'the Skins' frittering anything away. There are, however, previous idiot moves made by Snyder and Cerrato. You won't see Allen and Shanahan make similar mistakes. And they aren't accountable for one's they inherited, nor should they be judged if they can't perform miracles.

Like getting AH to act like a man. :)

respectfully...WRONG. This isn't a parallel to a player who has drug issues, or violence issues, steroid abuses, etc., etc. It's comparatively low key compared to things that really are serious that have afflicted player/team relationships. If they can't fix this then how can anyone expect them to handle probelsms that really are monumental?

Shanahan/Allen are now in charge...it doesn't matter what they inherited. It's their problem TO SOLVE. no one is paying attention to how this is playing out: the coaching staff isn't saying much and neither is AH. there isn't the usual exchange of personal assaults that make reconciliation near impossible. the Skins know AH is a premiere player in the league. AH knows...or his agent does.....that in the end he has a contract and will have to show. there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Skins are patiently waiting for the first mandatory set of workouts. they want him on the team. it's also in their interest to have AH maneuver himself into a corner.

as for fritterin away - about all those millions you just mentioned......the asset is still here. kinda like an oil well I might have inherited from my parents - it's now on my watch to continue getting value out of that well.

I guess some folks look at a problem and ask themselves: how can I fix this xxx xxxx's wagon? I look at a problem - especially lesser ones - and ask: can I fix it without leaving all parties in a worse position?

what's the objective here? to get AH to show up for weightlifting and rookie camps that aren't mandatory or to have a motivated player when manadatory show time rolls around? I say let's wait and see what shape he arrives in, what his attitude is and what his level of play is. if one is to believe the propaganda coming out of Redskin land about talent in place, team unity, coaching acumen, his opportuntities in the defensive scheme, etc., then AH should see this, understand the real situation and adjust. until this happens or does not happen......I'm ignoring all this media generated hype. and it can't happen until mandatory training starts....in just a short time.....:)......

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not suggesting the Skins can or should do anything Al. To an extent, are correct in that the Skins have a contract and should make the best of it (that at least sounds like what you're saying). I make only 2 points. One, that Wise is correct and AH needs to get his ass into camp and stop acting like a prima donna. Secondly, that if he chooses to be a mere shadow of the player he is capable of being (ie...spend this season like he did most of the last - trying to get into playing shape during regular season games and feigning injury when he felt like it) there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. Allen and Shanahan can't impact that - it has nothing to do with their talents or ability. They have NO LEVERAGE of any kind. Period.

I'm not suggesting the Skins can or should do anything Al. To an extent, are correct in that the Skins have a contract and should make the best of it (that at least sounds like what you're saying). I make only 2 points. One, that Wise is correct and AH needs to get his ass into camp and stop acting like a prima donna. Secondly, that if he chooses to be a mere shadow of the player he is capable of being (ie...spend this season like he did most of the last - trying to get into playing shape during regular season games and feigning injury when he felt like it) there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. Allen and Shanahan can't impact that - it has nothing to do with their talents or ability. They have NO LEVERAGE of any kind. Period.

bubba...you know from your military days that there all sorts. the challenge for leadership is to find the right way to get through. yea...get rid of the dregs......but even then the leader tries to rescue the seemingly hopeless. you know this to be true especially for the younger troops. I'm not happy with AH either....but I'd do my damnest to turn the situation around.

At the end of the day, all Shanahan and Allen have is a carrot. No stick is available to them and that is not their fault. Where Albert is concerned the stick was locked up before either one of them got to Washington. If Albert will not be motivated with the carrot (and to date that has not worked), there isn't anything left but wait, hope and pray he handles this off season like a mature adult.

At the end of the day, all Shanahan and Allen have is a carrot. No stick is available to them and that is not their fault. Where Albert is concerned the stick was locked up before either one of them got to Washington. If Albert will not be motivated with the carrot (and to date that has not worked), there isn't anything left but wait, hope and pray he handles this off season like a mature adult.

so you have read AH's contract?

bubba...you know from your military days that there all sorts. the challenge for leadership is to find the right way to get through. yea...get rid of the dregs......but even then the leader tries to rescue the seemingly hopeless. you know this to be true especially for the younger troops. I'm not happy with AH either....but I'd do my damnest to turn the situation around.

And because of his talent and contract, he will probably be given another shot to contribute. I think it is a sad indictment of the times we live in that he feels entitled to sit out, particularly when his other teammates, some of which also do not have to be there, are asking him to come.

I do think the spirit of camaraderie is terrific, and hopefully Shanahan can leverage that. I think it is a shame that Big Al has provided such an easy target for Shanahans leadership skills. You are correct in that a good leader will work to overcome whatever obstacles are in his or her way, regardless of fault. This will be a test of their leadership skills, but I personally won't see them as having failed if they have to trade him or it doesn't work out. At least not entirely. Much, if not all of the blame has to go to Haynesworth for not being willing to try to adapt, and for giving nothing but the barest minimum.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Last edited:
I appreciate you staking out extreme position(s) here to spark debate.

Imagine that from brother Al. :cool4:

yes..two players making tepid statments to the effect of "you should be here" do make a majority not too different from when certain players made similar comments about Sean Taylor back in the day...and I suppose we should take due cognizance of Mr Jackson's public statements about Mr McNabb because Mr Jackson was part of the locker room.
Respectfully ... nonsense. Daniel's comments and Jackson's are utterly and completely on different levels. Apples and cumquats. The public comments from Daniels are unusually sharp and pointed. My sense is they may well signify a colder undercurrent in the locker room that is worth keeping an eye on. Maybe not, but it's my sense. Dismissing them as "tepid" both ignores the tone and potential internal significance ... hopefully the brain trust in Ashburn is a little less cavalier about that than one combative fan on a roll.

no one disagrees that in the best of all possible worlds AH ought to be here even though his contract says he doesn't have to. if this falls apart...in my book it signifies two things: AH is a child in a man's body who is deserving of contempt; Shanahan/Allen and company don't have the savvy to deal with their first major challenge.
Respectfully, a little early to say that, don't you think? It's mid-May for chrissakes. We have no idea what they may be up to ... yes its' possible they are flummoxed and utterly failing in their handling of the AH situation ... it's also possible they know exactly what they're doing and we may or may not ever see the extent to which they were "right."

In reality the truth is probably somewhere in the middle ... AH is an untenable, ****ed up situation, and they are doing the best they can to effect damage control while not allowing this one player's situation to distract them from the much, much bigger, more demanding and pressing task of launching an entire new regime.

in the end....AH will have the last laugh. daniels and doughty are lovable Skins but second tier talents with short-run futures. Haynesworth can bank his money and get more from some other team while the Skins can feel virtuous. this is about value and extracting it. it's the job of leaders to turn this negative around. I'm tired of the Skins frittering away one resource after another. get the player in camp and change his mindset. that's what leaders do. any other outcome is a failure by all parties.

I know! Let's trade AH to the Iggles for a second rounder next year!
Ah, yes, the old Just Fix It, Stupid mindset. Easy to do from the ivory tower outside looking in. Not so easy in the real world.

Every one of us works for a living. Every one of us could tell stories of workplace situations where a problem employee's specific situation falls outside the normal course and mucks things up. And we know that sometimes the bosses simply cannot "Fix It" by the book and have to do the best they can given the totality of the circumstances and the real constraints they have in dealing with the situation. By the Book sounds good in theory. In the real world, particularly one as complicated, bizarre and intensely scrutinized as pro football, it's not always a viable option.

But, you knew that already. ;)

I’m not sure anyone knows how to get through to Big Al. He is acting much like a child wanting his way, so throws a tantrum. You have McNabb, Daniels, Orakpo, Doughty, and I’m sure others that have tried to talk him in. This is just not coach and management, but his teammates trying to talk some sense into his head.

George Allen said, “Forty men together can’t lose”. Big Al is putting himself before the team. I know sometimes you have to make a stand. Problem is he just wants his way. He is not bigger than the team. This team would be better if he would cooperate or work out a happy medium.

If he doesn’t get traded and comes in out of shape, then all will not be forgotten. I’m not talking about the coaches and FO either. Feel confident there will be some animosity within the locker room. Big Al is not endearing himself to his teammates.

I appreciate you staking out extreme position(s) here to spark debate.

Imagine that from brother Al. :cool4:

Respectfully ... nonsense. Daniel's comments and Jackson's are utterly and completely on different levels. Apples and cumquats. The public comments from Daniels are unusually sharp and pointed. My sense is they may well signify a colder undercurrent in the locker room that is worth keeping an eye on. Maybe not, but it's my sense. Dismissing them as "tepid" both ignores the tone and potential internal significance ... hopefully the brain trust in Ashburn is a little less cavalier about that than one combative fan on a roll.

Respectfully, a little early to say that, don't you think? It's mid-May for chrissakes. We have no idea what they may be up to ... yes its' possible they are flummoxed and utterly failing in their handling of the AH situation ... it's also possible they know exactly what they're doing and we may or may not ever see the extent to which they were "right."

In reality the truth is probably somewhere in the middle ... AH is an untenable, ****ed up situation, and they are doing the best they can to effect damage control while not allowing this one player's situation to distract them from the much, much bigger, more demanding and pressing task of launching an entire new regime.

Ah, yes, the old Just Fix It, Stupid mindset. Easy to do from the ivory tower outside looking in. Not so easy in the real world.

Every one of us works for a living. Every one of us could tell stories of workplace situations where a problem employee's specific situation falls outside the normal course and mucks things up. And we know that sometimes the bosses simply cannot "Fix It" by the book and have to do the best they can given the totality of the circumstances and the real constraints they have in dealing with the situation. By the Book sounds good in theory. In the real world, particularly one as complicated, bizarre and intensely scrutinized as pro football, it's not always a viable option.

But, you knew that already. ;)

1) In the end...you are speculating on the locker room. You have no idea what these guys are discussing/thinking.

2) Not being able to fix it in a given situation does not ipso facto mean the AH situation can't be fixed. That is one of the points I have been laboring to make. We have posters going on the emotional deep end and it's only friggin April/May. It's silly in the extreme. This is a play with actors and some known plot lines. It's only the first act.

3) Another point I am making is that leaders find ways to fix problems. If the AH situation isn't resolved I will know two incontrovertible facts: AH wouldn't come to terms with his present "reality" and Shanahan/Allen couldn't persuade him. That much is obvious. You can assign whatever measure of blame you want. I care less about that than I do outcomes.

4) "Extreme" is your loaded term but raises a smile - it appears none of us are immune to argument by hyperbole. As for the Ivory Tower slander - be careful not to cavil from ignorance or malice. You have no idea what leadership roles I have held both in the military and government.

5) "By the book"? You must have missed the subtlety that leadership finds creative ways to solve problems. Again, a hidden prejudice/preconception about the military? Just kidding.

6) Football complicated? As opposed to what? Surely you gest.

Don't tell anyone...it's a well kept secret: there are two parties to this relationship. Accountability may not be equal, but both sides shape the outcome.

As for Daniels and the other troopers...I eagerly await the next post on CP slamming him for going public about his discontent with a player or a coach. it would seem emotions sometimes get the better of principle when it comes to fandom. I get it....it isn't the principle...it's the intent. which places all of this in a very different...dangerous..place.

this will get worked out. watch. the Skins have already laid the groundwork.

I'd be worried if Daniels and Doughty sought out the reporter and offered their takes, unsolicited. That they gave an honest, yet standard answer, isn't surprising, at all.

If he shows up at the mandatory stuff, in shape, and unstoppable, all will be forgiven. Even by the guys who rightfully feel, "If I gotta be here, so does he".

If he comes in out of shape, and whiny, (which I've yet to hear from his mouth) then he will be dealt with, accordingly.

Right now, it's all time killing mumbo jumbo offseason BS.

I'd be worried if Daniels and Doughty sought out the reporter and offered their takes, unsolicited. That they gave an honest, yet standard answer, isn't surprising, at all.

If he shows up at the mandatory stuff, in shape, and unstoppable, all will be forgiven. Even by the guys who rightfully feel, "If I gotta be here, so does he".

If he comes in out of shape, and whiny, (which I've yet to hear from his mouth) then he will be dealt with, accordingly.

Right now, it's all time killing mumbo jumbo offseason BS.

bingo.

I don't like what AH is doing any more than anyone else. I would prefer the idyllic "one for all and all for one" reverie... as well as the more prosaic "you're getting paid a ton...stXX and get your butt in town now". but that's not how this has played out. the challenge is to take things from where they are now and turn them around. take the sticks and carrots that are available and make it happen. if it can't be done...then so be it. see ya. but if it is done.....now that is commendable and speaks volumes about leadership, skills and creativity. unlike some...I'm betting on Shanahan/Allen to pull this one out of the fire.

The guys in the locker room are guys just like us. I bet their opinions span the spectrum, just like ours do. But the more AH plays the part of petulant child, its human nature for the other guys on the team who ARE there, who are battling for spots even though they're very talented or drafted high, are going to get pissed off.

And Daniels rarely calls out another player, from what I have seen. I have also seen that Daniels is regarded highly, and generally accepted as a locker room leader. If he starts talking about Haynesworth, and questioning his decisions, I think there is a very good chance what he is saying reflects at least the majority of what is being said behind closed doors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.