• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Meriweather To Be Suspended?

Lanky Livingston

"Meriweather suspended? Now THAT'S surprising!" Said no one, ever. I hated this signing from day one, and I hate it even more now. I hope they cut his sorry butt.
LANDOVER, Md. (CBSDC/AP) — The NFL has seen enough of Brandon Meriweather’s helmet-to-helmet hits and a suspension is forthcoming for the Washington Redskins safety according to multiple reports.

A FedEx envelope would come as no surprise to Meriweather who conceded he was likely to at least take a financial hit following two penalties for crushing hits above the neck against the Chicago Bears.

Meriweather led with his helmet on Alshon Jeffery in the third quarter and Brandon Marshall in the fourth quarter.

Jason La Canfora, “based on everything” he’s hearing, says Meriweather “will be suspended following his latest incident launching himself at opponent’s head.”

ESPN’s Adam Schefter says the suspension is expected to be one or two games.

For his part, the Redskins safety says he’s made changes to his tackling technique and is puzzled by the penalties.

“If y’all go watch my first five years compared to the way I played the last three, four games everybody in the league will tell you I have changed the way I hit,” said Meriweather. “I’m not necessarily lunging myself into people. I’m actually squaring them up, trying to tackle the way I’ve been coached to.”

Click link for the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was quoted in another article saying he used his shoulder.

Lowering your head and going helmet to helmet is not using your shoulder to tackle correctly.

He's either stupid or he's actually trying to hurt people. Either way he doesn't belong on the field. He's had enough chances.

He's scum.

Expected, but hate to see this.

Especially against a Denver team that might flinch if he had been able to play.

This guy has got to be the stupidest player in the NFL. He makes Fred Davis look like a Mensa member by comparison. I'm not sure what part of 'you can't lead with your head' he fails to comprehend, but yes, Brandon, you lead with your head. Twice. If I were Shanahan, he wouldn't be getting another chance. We can't afford to have dimwits on this team.

This guy has got to be the stupidest player in the NFL. He makes Fred Davis look like a Mensa member by comparison. I'm not sure what part of 'you can't lead with your head' he fails to comprehend, but yes, Brandon, you lead with your head. Twice. If I were Shanahan, he wouldn't be getting another chance. We can't afford to have dimwits on this team.

As much as I hate to, I agree. He doesn't deserve any more chances. The reason I hate to agree is only because of the state of our defense, which granted has played better, but until next year when the stupid cap penalty is over and we can shore up both the o line and the secondary, we need all the playmakers we can get. He COULD be a playmaker if he'd learn not to lead with the helmet. Sigh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

In other news, I'm studying the defensive playbook right now. Hopefully I'll be ready to start at free Sunday.

Just Gumb it Shanny.

Hope this is the last we see of Merriweather.

BTW...do we even see Minnifield get called up this season? Maybe move Hall to FS?

Just throwing ideas out there.......

Not sure if Gumbs can fill in and do the job, but it could be time to find out. Maybe we have that rare diamond in the rough via the UDFA process.

1) He's the most injury prone player we've ever had.
2) He's the worst helmet-charging player we've ever had.

So, tell me again, why is he still on the team ?

Another thing I'd like to know - assuming we don't cut him at this point - is whether he counts against the roster limit while he is suspended ?

And why is Shanahan so supportive of him, after all this time, all these chances, and when it's clear to everyone that the guy has a serious problem with this ???

On coaching safety Brandon Meriweather out of leading with his helmet:
“We’re working on it. When you’re taking off, you ask 'Where is the guy? Is he standing up? Is he going down?’ It’s tough. It’s one of those things where you want them to be aggressive, but get lower – mainly just talking from the team’s standpoint, not even talking about the possible injury or things that go with it. We have to eliminate those 15-yard penalties, and I know Brandon is going to work on it as hard as he can.”

On if he believes Meriweather may be facing suspension:
“I sure hope not, because I know it’s not intentional.”

No big loss. He has a step slow on most plays anyway. He's good for 2-3 big hits most are illegal. We've already seen we can lose just fine with him,why bother?

What a dip****. I'm sick of him and ready for him to be off our team. That's about all I have to say on this Meriweather issue.

From the NFL rule book....

(j) if a player illegally launches into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves
both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his
helmet (including the top/crow

Every single time he has been flagged for it, he deserved it. He had his head down every time, and since was moving upward into the side of their helmet or up under their facemask each time, it's clear what he was doing. His intent is to hurt them, regardless of what him and Shanny keep claiming. I don't buy it for a second, I refuse to believe he is truly that stupid and it's "just an accident.'

You see the downside of Meriweather. He was a first round pick and can play either safety spot, but he has a nickel-plated head like Jeff George and doesn't play the game with a high football IQ.

Guy's a tool.

Never should have signed him.

Can't cut him soon enough.

The safeties here now make you wax nostalgic for Stanley Richard and James Washington.

Meriweather has a reputation and will get flagged for even a marginal high hit. He needs to be smart enough to know this and learn to go lower.

What is interesting is the hit the Colts kicker put on the Bronco's returner was initially helmet to helmet, but nothing was said.

Meriweather is going to appeal. Heck, they should add four extra games just for being hard headed and not accepting reality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.