• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Meriweather To Be Suspended?

Okay, I know this isn't going to be popular, but I didn't see anything illegal.

He's got a bullseye on his back...and, there's some bias how ever he tackles.

Take a look at some of the hits RGIII has taken without any penalty on defenses.

Very subjective stuff.

Griffin asked for it when he went to the media and said he baits players to get 15 yard penalties.

Not sure what he was thinking when he said it, but he's certainly getting what most people expected for doing so. He tried to walk them back but there's no way you can walk back "yeah, i purposefully bait players to hit me so i can draw a flag"

Looks like I was wrong about it being fruitless... Merriweather had his suspension knocked down to one game.

That one game happens to be against the Broncos, but still...

Nick

Griffin asked for it when he went to the media and said he baits players to get 15 yard penalties.

Not sure what he was thinking when he said it, but he's certainly getting what most people expected for doing so. He tried to walk them back but there's no way you can walk back "yeah, i purposefully bait players to hit me so i can draw a flag"

I want to address your statement that Griffin "asked" for these hits. What does that have to do with them being legal or illegal? If he had gone to the media and said "Defenses, please don't hit me!" would that make them more illegal? I'm not trying to be a dick, just curious where you're coming from with that comment.

I want to address your statement that Griffin "asked" for these hits. What does that have to do with them being legal or illegal? If he had gone to the media and said "Defenses, please don't hit me!" would that make them more illegal? I'm not trying to be a dick, just curious where you're coming from with that comment.

This is my view point on the subject... for what it's worth, it also seems to be the prevalent view point of the hosts on 980 and their callers. Whatever that's worth to you ;)

Late hits out of bounds along the sideline are a grey area in football. We can go through the years and find some hits that were called and others that weren't and not be able to make sense of why one was illegal and the other wasn't. You can do that for most of the penalties.

You have someone running to the sideline with the ball. He's being pursued by another guy running full speed trying to cut him off and force him out of bounds. The NFL has decided to give the ball carrier a way to (essentially) declare himself out of the play and therefore avoid a hit by punishing people for hitting him out of bounds in a way that most reasonable people could say "hey, you knew he was going out of bounds..." If the player is then going to abuse that system by trying to convince the defender he's actually not going out of bounds, then the defender is going to hit him. To turn around and say you're baiting him is, in my opinion, to tell everyone that it's now ok to hit him; he's purposefully trying to convince you he's going to turn the corner and run up field, not go out of bounds. What is it you want the defender to do? Read his mind?

In addition to that Griffin is quite a different QB than most others; he has world class speed and has shown it. He's capable of turning the corner and going down the field for a TD and making the guy that thought he was going out of bounds look like an idiot.

To me it's the exact same thing as the read option stuff - if you're going to purposely confuse the defender about what the real situation is (in the read option it would be who has the ball), then you lose the protection you would normally get in that situation.

At some point in time the defenders need to get some consideration for what it is they're trying to do too.

So when Griffin came out and said he's baiting people to draw a flag, I think that pushed the threshold for what is illegal and what is not a little further down the line than it would be for, say, Peyton Manning. Whether that's right or not, listening to the radio majority of people knew instantly that's what those comments would do. The lack of calls in the bears game seems to prove that to me, but it's admittedly just one game...

Meriweather reminds me of Mark Carrier who was run out of the league by drawing flags week after week.

If he comes back and takes another 15 yard penalty for head hunting we need to cut him.

Meriweather reminds me of Mark Carrier who was run out of the league by drawing flags week after week.

If he comes back and takes another 15 yard penalty for head hunting we need to cut him.

He won DROY, went to three pro-bowls, and played 11 seasons in the NFL...hardly "run out of the league."

I don't see the team cutting loose of him until after the season.
I see them tolerating him, and riding him as long as they can, until they have a chance to upgrade the position.

I just wish the team was forced to do it, with a league-applied year-long suspension on him........ maybe after the next hit.

Last edited:
Go watch ST highlights, how many of those hits would've drawn a flag now? I'm not comparing talent or impact, significance or the historical greatness of ST but there's numerous highlight hits that would be penalties now. I hate to agree with what Richard Sherman wrote but in essence, it's football, you get hit, the players know the risks, if it's too much for people, don't watch. I'm tired of the pussification of the game. Merriweather is a missile, needs better control but he's laying wood on guys 1.5x his size, we used to appreciate that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.