• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Lets list our problems

Rymanofthenorth

BGObsessed
Reaction score
I live in the warmest city in the coldest provinc
Alma Mater
UTEP
imho our issues right now consist primarily of our lack in 3 key areas. these all will need to be addressed but this is the order of priority.

1- I will put the secondary here simply because we lack any guys who will be starters next year barring us being stupid in the draft or free agency, not one player from this group should be starting except possibly Gomes who needs to start playing better to stay on that list. I have been hard on the Oline but at least they look somewhat competant sometimes, this secondary has been terrible

2-Oline, yes we are doing well on offence, but its despite the Oline not because of it, monty is decent and TW is solid but neither guard should be starting and lets be honest there arent any players on the roster who are gonna step up. so this unit needs a massive overhaul. hopefully 3 new starters next year minimum.

3-NOSETACKLE, cofield is decent in a rotation but with Carriker out, we are lacking that big DE who demands the double team that most 3-4's use the NT for. we see this manifest itself in the fact that offences can roll protections and dont need to scheme anyone with Rak and Carriker both out, Kerrigan is an effort guy but without some sort of bookend teams take him out with chips and slide protections.

4-lack of dept at key spots especially LB and DB, this manifests itself especially on specials where we are terrible. we also need to find a repalcement for London who has lost a step but is still effective for now, it would be nice to have a guy learn from him instead of having to step in immediately. we also need dept at OLB as the guys we have just arent stepping up, although Lorenzo as usuall is a beast, he needs to be moved around to be effective.

5-we need a TE, davis is a turd, even before he was injured, he needed replacing, I dont want to spend scads on a guy who is one house party away from a suspension. Cooley is pretty much done as a stretch the field guy we need one of these new breed Tes.

6-wide receiver, unless one of our young guys steps up big in the second half, we need to look seriously at getting a real receiver, Garcon is a bust, because hes been injured, if he can come back next year and play at a high level ill be amazed.

undetermined-coaching, lets be honest, on offence , while we have done a pretty solid job working Rg3 in and using morris effectively, we have also had some seriously stupid calls, wtf was that pass to griffin? why dont we stay with the running game more? and thats on the side of the ball we have been decent on, dont even get me started on the defence, the defence is just putrid, we dont adjust, we play easy to pick apart zones and we go into a shell when we have a lead. we havent been creative in the coverge or in the blitzing game, frankly I would prefer Blaches bend but dont break style to this bend and break style defence.

we need to start showing some improvement in more than just flashes. Shanny has shown us that he can put an offence together, it only took him three seasons, however the offence still has holes, and now the defence which was just blown up 2 seasons ago again looks terrible and in need of a drastic overhaul.

Ryman, you can kill a buzz faster than a SWAT team at a frat party.

Ryman, you are wayyyy off on a few points:

1. Garcon a bust? You'll be amazed if he plays well next season? You'll likely see him this season, starting after our bye week. His type of injury is often cured after 6-8 weeks of rest. I'd be a lot more concerned about Orakpo, who unlike Garcon, has a serious injury, ever returning to form again.

2. I'm with you on the other needs, but you are crazy if you think we can ever fill that many holes. 3 new starters on the o-line? 2 new corners? A new LB? A new TE? That's 7 right there--not including any receivers, or defensive linemen. Good luck with that. We have no first for the next two years, and a tiny cap. How could we ever possibly get three new starting offensive linemen, let alone all the rest of the positions?

There are far too many holes, and not enough resources to fill them. This team has a huge decision to make...and with time running out on Shanny, I think it's pretty clear. He will just go offense. We will try to mirror the Patriots and the Saints; score more than the other teams can. It took the Pats to a few SBs, and it's exciting football that fills seats.

On defense? We are going to have to fill that LB spot with a 6th rounder, and the corners from other teams. Talib was just signed today by the Patriots. Ditto for a TE. We can't use a second rounder on a TE.

This team is feeling the effects of keeping "star" players two years too long. This roster is now screwed, and Shanny can either take our limited resources and beef up the D, or he can protect the possible franchise QB, and try to score, score, score.

I think he's forced to go all-in.

Last edited:

I'd prefer a great D-line over corners.

i'm with you on this one. I think an improved D-line has an effect on both aspect, run and pass, where secondary is only going to impact pass defense....

that being said.... i think we've got guys who can help at secondary, without being gamechangers, and still be inexpensive.

We've cut quite a few DECENT, not world beating but DECENT corners available.

Kevin Barnes and Brandyn Thompson are still available. Both guys have played in this system, and both of them are young. Crawford hasn't seen much playing time, but any one of these 3 guys can do what D.hall has done, and all of them will be cheap to keep.

I also think we have an unproductive roster spot in Brandon Banks. He's just not getting it done in the return game, and we need help in other places. What's wrong with letting Banks and Hall go, and bringing in some young guys who can still benefit the team. Barnes and Thompson may not be the missing links, but at least let someone get beat, who's going to admit it, learn from it, and get better...

Well said OVC. Give me RG3 and the Giants front 7, and we'd be a dynasty.

We missed the boat on a corner in the draft, or another offensive lineman. Instead, we got John Belushi and Kirk Cousins.

We're in a hole....and there aren't enough shovels (resources) to dig out of it. Something is going to have to suffer. And Shanny, close to retirement, would probably love an epic offense.

McD5, I am going to have to challenge you again on the Garcon issue. He has been a bust this year...due to his injury...just like Ryman said. His foot injury was supposed to be a week to week basis and here we are at week 9 in the season and he's played in part of 2 games so far. How can you say so emphatically that he'll be back after the bye when you told us all he'd be the best receiver this team has ever had?

Well said OVC. Give me RG3 and the Giants front 7, and we'd be a dynasty.

We missed the boat on a corner in the draft, or another offensive lineman. Instead, we got John Belushi and Kirk Cousins.

We're in a hole....and there aren't enough shovels (resources) to dig out of it. Something is going to have to suffer. And Shanny, close to retirement, would probably love an epic offense.

i dont know if i'd say Dynasty... Griffin cant catch his own passes... and there are ways to beat that front 7... it's been done. I dont even think our front 7 needs the overhaul.

Our LBs' are good, and deep... Orakpo is hurt, and yes, it stings, but Jackson has been playing well. Honestly, as crazy as this sounds, i think the most painful loss was Carriker. Jackson isn't Orakpo, but he's capable of filling in.

Our dirt grabbers are a struggle. This scheme isnt about breaking free and getting an open shot on a QB, it's based on collapsing the pocket. OLBs come around the edges, while the interior maintains a push, disabling the QB's option of stepping up. Choking the QB where he stands... we need that interior push across the front 3... and we need it in a bad way.

Jenkins hasn't performed the way we had hoped but he's still young. He's only got 7 real games under his belt. Coefield and Bowen are both good ACCENT players, but they cant be the primary line buster on pass rush... whether thats one of the ends like J.J. Watt, or a massive interior linemen.. you need that aspect in order for it to work.

we sould get a couple decent lineman in free agency and go all defense in the draft ...

we sould get a couple decent lineman in free agency and go all defense in the draft ...

It's hard to find a quality, younger RT in FA.

And El, I said, and still believe, the best WR here in a decade. Not in history. He's no Art Monk.

Everything I've read leads me to believe that he is improving, and will be back after the bye. That will be about 8 weeks off, which is a common time to return from that injury. Granted our training staff is highly questionable, but I expect to see him back this year.

Everything I've read leads me to believe that he is improving, and will be back after the bye. That will be about 8 weeks off, which is a common time to return from that injury. Granted our training staff is highly questionable, but I expect to see him back this year.

he logged plays against ATL and TB... combined 4 catches over those two games so obviously not effective.. but he gave it a go..

That means he's only, technically, had 3 weeks off at this point... depending on what he's done in practice.

he logged plays against ATL and TB... combined 4 catches over those two games so obviously not effective.. but he gave it a go..

That means he's only, technically, had 3 weeks off at this point... depending on what he's done in practice.

Good catch, typo...sorry.

I am reading an article right now that says track runners usually return from that injury within 6-8 weeks. He's missed 5 of the last 7. Add this week, a bye, and another week before the next game? I'll be furious if he can't go after that.

1. Garcon a bust? You'll be amazed if he plays well next season? You'll likely see him this season, starting after our bye week. His type of injury is often cured after 6-8 weeks of rest. I'd be a lot more concerned about Orakpo, who unlike Garcon, has a serious injury, ever returning to form again.

2. I'm with you on the other needs, but you are crazy if you think we can ever fill that many holes. 3 new starters on the o-line? 2 new corners? A new LB? A new TE? That's 7 right there--not including any receivers, or defensive linemen. Good luck with that. We have no first for the next two years, and a tiny cap. How could we ever possibly get three new starting offensive linemen, let alone all the rest of the positions?

There are far too many holes, and not enough resources to fill them. This team has a huge decision to make...and with time running out on Shanny, I think it's pretty clear. He will just go offense. We will try to mirror the Patriots and the Saints; score more than the other teams can. It took the Pats to a few SBs, and it's exciting football that fills seats.

On defense? We are going to have to fill that LB spot with a 6th rounder, and the corners from other teams. Talib was just signed today by the Patriots. Ditto for a TE. We can't use a second rounder on a TE.

This team is feeling the effects of keeping "star" players two years too long. This roster is now screwed, and Shanny can either take our limited resources and beef up the D, or he can protect the possible franchise QB, and try to score, score, score.

I think he's forced to go all-in.

1- sorry, but ill be amazed if Garcon is back after the bye week, he has been trying to go and hasnt been able to, thats not resting for 8 weeks, its been more like 3 weeks, and a receiver needs to be able to plant to be effective, thus far he has been a huge bust, we paid a pile of money for less than 2 games thus far.

2-I know, and thats why I am so pissed off, we completely blew up and revamped this defence , its been 3 seasons yet we have this many holes? my entire point in year one about how bad the idea was to go to a 3-4 was based on resource management, ergo we needed an entire new Offence so we shouldnt be MAKING holes where we had a relative strength, instead we blew it up and created several holes. now on offence we are yet again in a bad spot with the OLine, receiver, and TE. on defence we are also hurting at every level but mainly in the secondary there is no quick fix but we need to be creative, look at the 4 players I brought up in the past 4 years from the CFL all of them are either budding stars or solid contributors, yet we ignore the CFL. we can get some defencive help from the CFL, Phillip HUnt is playing well for the eagles at DE, Cam Wake has looked very good for the fins, both guys I mentioned as possibilities long before they were signed by anyone, yet we ignored them. we NEED to be creative.

3-I agree absolutely that Shanny will likely ignore defence unless someone too good to ignore drops to us in the second, but we have got to make some serious changes. that was my point

Silent threat, we dont play the version of the 3-4 that the texans are playing, they play it almost as a 5-2, jj watt fits it perfectly, we dont even know what we are playing Haslett is clueless, he said we would not be two gapping, but then said we would be running the steelers version of the 3-4 which requires at least one and ideally 2 guys to 2 gap.

Silent threat, we dont play the version of the 3-4 that the texans are playing, they play it almost as a 5-2, jj watt fits it perfectly, we dont even know what we are playing Haslett is clueless, he said we would not be two gapping, but then said we would be running the steelers version of the 3-4 which requires at least one and ideally 2 guys to 2 gap.

ok.. didnt say it was set in stone, it was an example.

JJ Watt would benefit pretty much any defense he joined. Same goes for Jared Allen.... either of those guys can put their hand in the dirt and get up field.. both of those guys have a high motor, and can flat out get up field.

Honest question. How many teams in the league have a top notch player at every one of these positions, plus QB & HB like Ryman is hoping some miracle will get us to?

I just can't think of any team in NFL history that had a great QB, HB, TE, WRs, RT/LT, Guards, DBs, LBs, and Safeties all on one team. I don't think it's even possible financially.

Based on all of the comments above we should just onside kick every time and hope for the best. In other words we are #*!@#%^&. I am not buying it. The offensive line is bad just like most in the NFL are these days. When everyone gets well on the defensive line and we get a decent safety we will start stopping people. You guys are sounding like a bunch of whinny-ass fans. The sky is not completely falling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.