• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Lessons from the Steelers game

SC_RedskinsFan

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
There are quite a few things that I learned about our team today. The first thing that stands out, that some may not have even noticed was when RG3 was pushed out of bounds on OUR sideline borderline late 2 Steelers players started jawjacking with him and not one player on our sideline did a thing, they just watched. That really pissed me off.

Our receivers need to just practice catching the ball all week. What did we have 12 drops? That is totally unacceptable. Players wonder why they don't get time on the field.....

Our Defense is just an embarrassment at this point, heads need to roll. I don't know if getting away from the 3-4 is the answer or not but something drastic needs to happen. You cannot depend on a Rookie QB to be able to lead the team to 35 points every game to have a chance to win.

D. Hall is a waste, I have finally come around on this one. I have been a huge supporter of him, but today was it for me. He should not be on this team next week. That was not fire he showed, that was a total lack of self control embarrassing himself and his team.

Did anybody else notice the whole team quit about halfway thru the 3rd quarter? I don't know what is going on but Shanny better get a hold of it fast. RG3 I am sure was pissed that so many balls were dropped, but even he seemed not to have any fire.

I've seen this a couple of times before over the last three years. This D was coached scared. The playcalling was timid and nervous and that created not only soft coverages, but a tentativeness in the running game that wasn't there before.

We're a bad defense, but I think part of it is coaching. Hall and Wilson may not be probowlers, but they're also not garbage. The defense has played like crap and most of these guys have been successful pros.

Some of that has to be strategy.

As for the embarrassing drops... this team needs to learn to catch in the rain. We couldn't handle a slippery ball at all. Embarrassing.

Speak for yourself but Hall is garbage..hot,steaming garbage at that. From his play and antics on the field to his trash talk off the field, the guy is a cancer that needs to be removed before this defense can even think about moving forward.

Speak for yourself but Hall is garbage..hot,steaming garbage at that. From his play and antics on the field to his trash talk off the field, the guy is a cancer that needs to be removed before this defense can even think about moving forward.

Hall has played badly for two years, but I don't think he is as horrible as we think. You're right about part of it. Hall is a gambler who's been on a massive losing streak and keeps doubling down trying to get back to even. As such, he keeps getting worse.

That too though, I blame on coaching. Someone needs to take him and give him a good slap and tell him he can't do that or sit him. At this point, Dave Butz at his current age might be more valuable in deep coverage.

I was, quite frankly, embarrassed by the quit shown by the offensive coaching staff toward the end of the game. We were driving, in Steeler territory with what, 7 minutes left on the clock? There was no hurry up. There was no sense of urgency. We had a shot. TD and a PAT, and it's 27-19. We get the ball back (after stopping the Steelers on their previous possession) and we have a chance to tie. But without speeding the pace of the offense, we left ourselves with no time, and no shot.

That was the biggest disappointment for me. Just the overall "give up."

Hall's a disappointment too, but that's nothing new. Why he continues to hold down a roster spot, I simply don't know. He sucks in coverage. He consistently costs us yards/field position with dumbass penalties, and as far as I can tell, he no longer contributes ANYTHING of value to this team.

There isn't a train that get him out of town fast enough, IMO.

Our receivers need to just practice catching the ball all week. What did we have 12 drops? That is totally unacceptable. Players wonder why they don't get time on the field.....

Hankerson and Briscoe are the only ones who need to practice it. Yes, many others dropped balls, but for them it was an abberration, while Hankerson and Briscoe have both shown a repeated inability to grasp a football. At this point, Hankerson is a bust. He is no better than a #3 receiver, for sure.

The good thing about Hall is he does make picks, but this stupid **** he pulls does not make him worth it anymore. It is so frustrating to watch.....

Yeah SC, I saw the 2nd Steelers' player come in and block Griff from going after the player who pushed him late. With 3 players standing right there watching the action, not one stepped in and put the Steelers' players in their place on OUR side line!

People may not have believed me, but this team from early in the season looked like a rebuilding team that had finally found their qb and starting running back but still have many holes to fill.

Some of that is injuries.

But injuries don't explain the failure to block the Steelers' front seven and allow them to dominate the LOS.

They don't explain the defensive secondary becoming such a liability no one wants to take any risks in dialing up blitzes because the outside cover guys can't cover.

So, what do you have?

A 7-9 type team that is going to win some games 30-28 and lose some games 30-28 and occasionally get clocked by a more talented club that doesn't make mistakes.

Like it or not this is Year 1.

Because of Griffin, because of Morris. Because of the injuries.

It may not be popular, but that's the truth.

Even if they replace Shanahan and Haslett next season the next coach still needs more talent.

And if they replace Shanny next season?

Robert will be gone come contract time and we'll be smack in the middle of the NFL Wilderness again with no compass.

Hall is garbage..hot,steaming garbage at that. From his play and antics on the field to his trash talk off the field, the guy is a cancer that needs to be removed before this defense can even think about moving forward.
Something I've said for years. Good to see others finally starting to come around.

You guys are overreacting. The NFL is not yet the NBA. Griffin is not going to go play catch with Larry Fitzgerald in the offseason and demand a trade to the Cardinals :laugh:

The truth is that I don't expect Shanahan to leave. But he has to see what is happening on the field WITH Griffin and Morris making a much greater contribution than anyone expected in their rookie seasons.

The OL and defensive backfield are not competitive.

BT I think Shanny probably sees that, what perplexes me is his loyalty to Haslett. It seems so obvious and given Shanahan's rep for being a hardcase it makes no sense.

Shanahan, though, cannot throw Haslett under the bus in regards to the personnel because he helped evaluate and choose some of these players.

Brandon Meriweather was a question mark based on attitude anyway. He doesn't get a $2.6M bonus early in free agency, without Shanahan signing off on the move.

Similarly, the decision to sign Josh Wilson and give him a 5 year, $20M contract before last season despite pedestrian results in Baltimore can be questioned.

Also, someone (Shanahan?) decided that signing another wide receiver after Garcon (Morgan) was more important than signing a corner or offensive lineman.

Haslett may not be the best DC in the NFC but he does have the worst secondary and without Orakpo the pass rush has been exposed as mediocre.

Kerrigan is not stepping up the way that JPP in NY did when Tuck and Umenyiora were hurt.

As the #16 pick overall, you expect Kerrigan to be a playmaker for this club and someone that causes matchup problems for the offense.

In too many games this year he has been swallowed by the opponent's OL.

trade dead line was this week ...why not try to get some help , shanny needs to change his ways sometime he's to hard headed ! anyone might have been an upgrade !

Shanahan, though, cannot throw Haslett under the bus in regards to the personnel because he helped evaluate and choose some of these players.

Brandon Meriweather was a question mark based on attitude anyway. He doesn't get a $2.6M bonus early in free agency, without Shanahan signing off on the move.

Similarly, the decision to sign Josh Wilson and give him a 5 year, $20M contract before last season despite pedestrian results in Baltimore can be questioned.

Also, someone (Shanahan?) decided that signing another wide receiver after Garcon (Morgan) was more important than signing a corner or offensive lineman.

Haslett may not be the best DC in the NFC but he does have the worst secondary and without Orakpo the pass rush has been exposed as mediocre.

Kerrigan is not stepping up the way that JPP in NY did when Tuck and Umenyiora were hurt.

As the #16 pick overall, you expect Kerrigan to be a playmaker for this club and someone that causes matchup problems for the offense.

In too many games this year he has been swallowed by the opponent's OL.

yeah pretty much agree with you... and i'd like to throw out there.. Makes you wonder where we would be if we hadn't signed all these receivers, because through 8 weeks, production hasnt been good enough.

Last edited:
I hope the lesson learned was by our FO and coaching staff how to play the 3-4 defense. I hope they learned they need to find a true NT. The only way dallas has changed their horrendous d is by getting help in the back end, we need help up front and in the back end. I hope somebody over there learns something.

Lesson: our WRs need practice catching the ball in the rain. A lot. Santana had one of his occasional games where he is just terrible, and he is supposed to be the "rock."

Lesson: if we don't get pressure on the QB, we will go 0-8 the rest of the way.

Lesson: Kyle Shanahan is ridiculously stupid. Sending Griffin on a pass-pattern against this defense? Unbelievable. Son or not, I would have fired him on the sidelines.

So, how's that indoor practice facility working out for us?

So, how's that indoor practice facility working out for us?

Yeah my feeling exactly. I hope they are out in the mess all week. **** they should ship them to west virginia to practice in the snow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.