• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kyle Allen

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
Figured the new starter deserved his own thread. Just got done listening to his first press conference as a WFT starter. Kid is impossible not to like. He’s smart and confident but not cocky, very much like his coaches. He knows what questions to answer and which ones not to - something Haskins still isn’t savvy enough to do. For example, he was asked ‘what have you seen the first 4 games that you can improve upon?’ That was clearly a question designed to get him to dish dirt on Haskins (or it would’ve been used that way). He saw that immediately and declined to give an answer.

I’ll tell you a couple things. Allen is a lot better athlete than he gets any credit for. And he can play. If he can make more consistently good decisions, our offense is going to look suddenly much more capable. And he’s just a great kid with a great attitude. I think his guys are going to want to play for him, something I’ve never really sensed with Dwayne.

I am excited to see how the next 4 weeks or so go.

I rarely agree with Grant Paulsen but he’s posted some good takes today

Oof... I think RR just said a tome without saying anything.

It's during these times when all of us become arm chair quarterbacks. This time, literally!

Ron Rivera has earned one million benefits of the doubt. That is where I'm at and I'll leave all the debating and arguing to everyone else.

Allen seems hard working and humble.

Meanwhile Dwayne is working on his ‘brand’ in the offseason.

What brand? He hasn’t done anything yet.

After hearing about his comments to Thomas Davis in the camp work it appears Dwayne went into 2020 feeling pretty good about himself.

Too bad that confidence didn’t translate under live fire.

I seriously hope that our coaches have evaluated everything they can and have made a plan moving forward as its going to be pretty disheartening if Allen flounders (hoping he doesnt) resulting in him getting benched just for Smith to take the field. We need some consistency at the QB position and outside of who we have not being the "best" our o-line and other supporting case mates need to step up to the plate and do what they can to do their part too. fingers cross that this move is the right one and that he gels with the offense.

I seriously hope that our coaches have evaluated everything they can and have made a plan moving forward as its going to be pretty disheartening if Allen flounders (hoping he doesnt) resulting in him getting benched just for Smith to take the field. We need some consistency at the QB position and outside of who we have not being the "best" our o-line and other supporting case mates need to step up to the plate and do what they can to do their part too. fingers cross that this move is the right one and that he gels with the offense.

Me and you both. I'm really not looking forward to an offseason filled with 'can Haskins rebound' or 'he needs to be starting, he never got a fair shake'

I don't see a good scenario where Haskins is on the roster next year. Going into the offseason with questions is going to be borderline cancerous the way the RG3 / Kirk debate went down.

I am starting to consider the notion that they want to see if Allen can still prove to be that guy and that's why this move was made. Most people consider Allen as a 'good backup' but we have wanted to see enough from Haskins to prove he's it... maybe they still have an incomplete grade on Allen, and want to know going into this offseason....? I'm grasping here.

Theismann is irritating but he had some great comments about what Haskins needs to do yesterday. He pretty much predicted almost word for word what Rivera would give as his reasons for the benching. Talked about what he had to do to convince Gibbs he could be the guy as Gibbs wasn’t bought into him early on. I wish Haskins would go that same route but I’ll admit I’m skeptical as he seems to have a victim mentality to an extent and doesn’t seem to want to embrace his deficits and then do something about them, as evidenced by having his agent give a bunch of excuses for him...

I'm really not looking forward to an offseason filled with 'can Haskins rebound' or 'he needs to be starting, he never got a fair shake'

Thats the thing, I just dont want it to happen in like game 9 as I have seen on other team (hell I think we've done it too) where we just kept flopping between QBs. It makes the coaching staff seem incompetent and honestly has to crush the morale of players trying to back the man behind center.

From what we are learning Haskins is not a popular figure in the locker room because of his failure to put in 110% effort like Alex Smith and guys like Jonathan Allen.

So this move to Kyle Allen is probably a LOT more surprising to fans and media than to team insiders.

Well, I think anyone looking at the situation had to believe there was more than just the on the field performance behind the decision. I don’t really like these sort of ‘day after’ revelations, but in this case I suspect it’s coming as a result of reporters badgering players for info, and likely not coming from the coaching staff.

I agree this is not Rivera tearing Haskins down or pulling a Bruce Allen.

Its players and former players that know Haskins over time has not answered the mail and are sick and tired of his schtick.

According to JP Finlay, Riverboat said that Allen will be evaluated game by game which is understandable but still makes me nervous that well get into the cycle of rotating out QBs which as I mentioned earlier will do no good for morale.

According to JP Finlay, Riverboat said that Allen will be evaluated game by game which is understandable but still makes me nervous that well get into the cycle of rotating out QBs which as I mentioned earlier will do no good for morale.

agreed....

I'm not sure I buy that, gents. If he has to rotate out Kyle to due non-performance, I suspect the players would support that if it means putting someone back there who can help them do THEIR jobs. To me QB isn't like any other position on either side of the ball. If the guy handling the rock on every play isn't doing his job, the other 10 guys on that side of the ball are just running around with no realistic shot of accomplishing anything. Either for the team or themselves.

I played hoops with good point guards, and some who didn't know the first thing about distributing or play concepts or adjusting on the fly. With the former, I just did my job and contributed with the flow of play. With the latter, I spend my time trying to do my job with one eye out for always having to scramble back on D when doofus-face turned it over or froze in the headlights and we had to go bail him out.

I don't recall ever having my morale lowered when coach had had enough and sat said doofus-head down.

I'm not sure I buy that, gents. If he has to rotate out Kyle to due non-performance, I suspect the players would support that if it means putting someone back there who can help them do THEIR jobs. To me QB isn't like any other position on either side of the ball. If the guy handling the rock on every play isn't doing his job, the other 10 guys on that side of the ball are just running around with no realistic shot of accomplishing anything. Either for the team or themselves.

I played hoops with good point guards, and some who didn't know the first thing about distributing or play concepts or adjusting on the fly. With the former, I just did my job and contributed with the flow of play. With the latter, I spend my time trying to do my job with one eye out for always having to scramble back on D when doofus-face turned it over or froze in the headlights and we had to go bail him out.

I don't recall ever having my morale lowered when coach had had enough and sat said doofus-head down.

If the circle comes all the way back to Haskins, it's going to be a let down (for us as fans at a minimum) likely for the players, unless there is some major change between now and that point. It also means we likely have to change the playbook or offense once away to cater to who is behind center.

I think the bigger point is the fact that a rotating QB carousel means none of your options are good enough to grab hold, so while the change may not be the cause for lowered morale, it's likely a stream of bad play from the position who touches the ball on every play leads to a level of frustration....

It appears increasingly likely that the starting qb to take us through this decade is not on the team.

Allen is smart but physically limited. It took defenses 5 or 6 games to figure him out last year.

With Haskins even if he improves 40% (of which there is no guarantee) then Washington is going to give a big contract to a player that approximates a middle of the road starter?

if allen plays like a solid journeyman career backup, we will do marginally better, haskins has more upside but also has a problem with his style not meshing with a really piss poor oline, he likes to go deep, he just cant do that with this line. i think this was early but meh,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.