• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

Maybe not - but let's say the team did trade Kirk for picks...first of all, San Fran (or any other team) is unlikely to offer us a bonanza of picks. And in a poor FA QB market, Cousins is WORTH a bonanza of picks. So we aren't going to get what we deserve for him. Secondly, I am not confident that we have the talent evaluators in place to make the right selections with additional picks. We are going to miss McCloughan on that front bigtime.

Colt would likely be okay as a bridge QB. But Cousins is a gem we need to hold onto.

Cousins comments ...

kirk.jpg

What I wonder is why Cousins felt compelled to put out his side of the story to the media now. I'll take him at his word, but it's curious.

What I wonder is why Cousins felt compelled to put out his side of the story to the media now. I'll take him at his word, but it's curious.

Probably got whiff of the "Somebody anonymous said that someone else said, that someone else said that Cousins said that he will refuse to sign a LTD as long as Bruce Allen is with the team".

You may be right and probably does not want the rep that he is difficult to work with out there especially if things can't be worked out with the 'Skins

Boone is right.

The Redskins are set to get a #3 pick from the NFL as compensatory for the loss of Cousins to free agency in 2018.

So, any deal the Redskins make in 2017 to allow Cousins to move on to SF or another club this year has to carry a significant premium over that.

If the 49ers or Browns are going to come forward and offer the Redskins a #2 pick for Cousins, that to me is NOT significant enough compensation to make a deal.

Having Cousins here in 2017 allowing us to be competitive and then receiving the #3 pick next year is worth more than a single #2 pick in 2017.

This is not a Brock Osweiler situation where we have to unload an unproductive player that is costing a fortune.

What would a fair deal be?

To me, a #1 pick has to be part of the compensation.

If the Browns for example want to acquire Cousins and offer us their #12 pick in 2017 AND either a #2 pick this year as well or a #2 pick in 2018, then that is something we need to consider.

But only after we come back to Cousins with one last attempt to get a deal done in the $22-$23M range.

Skins have all the leverage contrary to media reports. Kirk coming out and trying to defuse the situation is a reflection of that. He could very well be forced to play in DC for the next 2 years whether that's his first choice or not. Pissing off current employer is not in his best interests. He's a smart guy, and his agent likely told him he needed to defuse the situation as well.

He may well prefer to be in San Fran, but as to whether or not he 'demanded' or 'asked for' a trade, or simply asked if anything like that were being considered, no way of knowing. I think the obvious fact is that the mediots immediately put this out there as him definitively demanding to be moved, and he's refuting it publicly. Take all that as you will.

Been off the grid a bit this weekend ... any movement/comment/etc. on the alleged gauntlet thrown down that Kirk wouldn't even negotiate a LTD as long as Allen was The Man?

I agree. The media talk of Cousins making a trade 'demand' to get out of DC was likely to boomerang on him with the fans if he ended up here on the tag in 2017.

So he acted to diffuse the crisis before he started to get cast as the 'bad' guy in all of this.

Contrary to what some in the media believe, his future contract IS in part going to rest on what he does in 2017.

He is not so firmly established that a poor 2017 season would not affect what teams think of him.

Most realize he is a 100% effort guy that needs other things to work around him for #8 to be successful.

Any steps back in re throwing interceptions or turning the ball over will work against him in 2018 if he is then looking for a contract.

Well, no one has ever accused Cousins of being stupid.

He has been at Redskins Park the past 4 years and sees how much Bruce Allen has Dan Snyder wrapped around his finger.

Dan would probably say goodbye to his wife before thinking of jettisoning Bruce :laugh:

Next conspiracy theory that will be floated is that Snyder forced Cousins to make a public statement in return for working out an upcoming trade deal so any future trade looks like it was the team's decision alone. Wait for it.

Next conspiracy theory that will be floated is that Snyder forced Cousins to make a public statement in return for working out an upcoming trade deal so any future trade looks like it was the team's decision alone. Wait for it.

And the future trade is a 3-way with the Browns and 49ers, which nets us Brock Osweiler.

In one year Brock Osweiler went from being the 'darling young quarterback' in the AFC to being worth little more than a bag of donuts.

But it's good to have been able to put the $37M in the bank :eagerness:

I think he can sleep well at night.

My take on this is that if you take into account a) the dysfunctional mess the Skins FO is (and seems to have been for a while!) and b) the Medias proclivity for pronouncing portents of doom around the Skins, I can easily see a situation where Kirk went to Snyder directly simply for clarification.

He or his agent was obviously getting mixed signals from the Bruce/Scotty power struggle.

Right now I'd easily believe what Kirk has to say rather than what Bruce spews forth.

There's definitely also a power struggle between Kirk and the team over leverage.

While the Skins hold the franchise tag options, to keep him next year on a $34m price tag is not happening. We are realistically looking at just one year we can hold him.

Kirk holds the cards when it comes to trades and signing a LTD. He can effectively veto any trade by refusing to sign an LTD with that team.

Let's say the Skins have two offers on the table from the 49ers and the Browns, Kirk can force the situation by only signing LTD if the trade with the 49ers happens and make it known through his agent that he won't sign an LTD if the Browns are the trade partner.

The longer the Skins keep him tagged though the more his options dry up. What if Hoyer plays a blinder for SF and Kyle no longer covets Kirk? Especially if Kirk has a middling season. With Garçon and Jackson gone and Reeds injury bug and Pryor being relatively unproven I could easily see Kirks stats slipping due to his supporting cast being worse.

What happens if he gets injured?

Kirk has a lot of leverage but also has a lot of risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My take on this is that if you take into account a) the dysfunctional mess the Skins FO is (and seems to have been for a while!) and b) the Medias proclivity for pronouncing portents of doom around the Skins, I can easily see a situation where Kirk went to Snyder directly simply for clarification.

He or his agent was obviously getting mixed signals from the Bruce/Scotty power struggle.

Right now I'd easily believe what Kirk has to say rather than what Bruce spews forth.

There's definitely also a power struggle between Kirk and the team over leverage.

While the Skins hold the franchise tag options, to keep him next year on a $34m price tag is not happening. We are realistically looking at just one year we can hold him.

Kirk holds the cards when it comes to trades and signing a LTD. He can effectively veto any trade by refusing to sign an LTD with that team.

Let's say the Skins have two offers on the table from the 49ers and the Browns, Kirk can force the situation by only signing LTD if the trade with the 49ers happens and make it known through his agent that he won't sign an LTD if the Browns are the trade partner.

The longer the Skins keep him tagged though the more his options dry up. What if Hoyer plays a blinder for SF and Kyle no longer covets Kirk? Especially if Kirk has a middling season. With Garçon and Jackson gone and Reeds injury bug and Pryor being relatively unproven I could easily see Kirks stats slipping due to his supporting cast being worse.

I agree with most of your points, but I'm mainly replying to ask, how did you type all of that on an iPhone?

No - Cousins has little to no leverage. They won't franchise tag him a 3rd time. But they can transition tag him - giving them the rights to match any offer Cousins gets. Thats not an attractive option for the Redskins, because whatever offer Kirk would get on the open market is probably way more than we'd want to pay. But they DO have Kirk over a barrel in terms of being ABLE to keep him in DC for 2 years. The 49ers aren't waiting 2 years on Kirk Cousins, they just aren't. The option to use the transition tag in 2018 effectively means that it's the Redskins who will decide if Kirk Cousins gets traded or not, not Kirk, at least in the forseeable future.

Saying 'Kirk doesn't have to sign a LTD' is true. But the Redskins have him for 2 years if they want him. That gives them time to find or draft a replacement. It doesn't require the Skins to trade him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.