• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Kirk Cousins Development Tracker

It's a team game. If we perform better on defense, in the running game, and in lots of other areas, we don't require game-winning drives 100% of the time in order to deem Cousins a successful QB. The majority of teams every year don't win playoff games. That doesn't equate to their QBs not being franchise caliber. And there have been some pretty big wins Kirk has put on his shoulders and won - those don't seem to get discussed in these conversations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One wonders if/how the Scott M. story impacts Kirk and his agent's thinking on the contract ... on the one hand, they could be wary of possible turmoil and be inclined to really resist signing a long-term deal ... on the other, if Kirk's in-your-face "how you like me now?!" episode with Scott was an indication of a rift there, as some have suggested, the possibility of Scott not being here might actually be something Camp Kirk sees as a good thing.

These are the days of our lives.

It's a team game. If we perform better on defense, in the running game, and in lots of other areas, we don't require game-winning drives 100% of the time in order to deem Cousins a successful QB. The majority of teams every year don't win playoff games. That doesn't equate to their QBs not being franchise caliber. And there have been some pretty big wins Kirk has put on his shoulders and won - those don't seem to get discussed in these conversations?

Not talking about just playoff games, important games where he needed to step up, and didn't. That's a fault, it could be a bad one, he could over come it and become another late, come from behind great. It's why there is more than likely trepidation at breaking the bank for him. He still has a lot to prove.

As for the put the game on his shoulders, I've seen more melt downs in critical situations than I have the former.

I have come to believe he is a top8 QB in the league and is still getting better, I have accepted he should/will get in the ballpark of 100 million over 4 years with half of it guaranteed.

I still think he needs to prove himself in certain areas. I think he can be better than Joe Flacco, who won a Super Bowl with a solid surrounding cast.

He's being paid a premium and I don't think it's unfair to set the expectations bar higher for him performance wise and being able to carry a bigger burden for the team than he has at times so far. For those that think it's unfair to compare his metrics to other QBs - you may be right but you cannot deny it enters contract negotiations. $1ooM over 4 years is a fair number - pretty much what they are paying him now anyway. Probably just trying to work out guarantees and years. But it's more of a contract that he'll grow into rather than what he's actually done so far, there's room for improvement. Kinda like a rookie QB contract. 1st rounder gets about $28M over 4 years. Usually not as good at the beginning of the contract, quite possibly marginal, as they are at the end, quite possibly a bargain.

I can't see any animosity from Kirk's side. If another team had drafted him there's a good chance he wouldn't be starting or even given the chance to start. He went from a guy that could be fortunate getting $2M @ year to one making $20M @ year. Top 10 salary guy the last two years so he's not being short-changed by the FO, no matter what the press thinks.

Latest Twitter trade is a three way deal between us, the 49ers, and the Cowboys. Don't really like the thought. Romo is damaged goods. If we can't get Cousins done I'd really rather have the picks, fly with Colt, and start over.

I didn't read the details, but I'm guessing that we get the #2 pick over all and Romo, SF gets Cousins, and Cowboys get our number 1. I'd hate to get Romo with that contract, that injury, at the price of a number 1 pick. Helping the Cowboys get rid of him is doing them a cap favor. Why pay a premium for that?

Latest Twitter trade is a three way deal between us, the 49ers, and the Cowboys. Don't really like the thought. Romo is damaged goods. If we can't get Cousins done I'd really rather have the picks, fly with Colt, and start over.

I didn't read the details, but I'm guessing that we get the #2 pick over all and Romo, SF gets Cousins, and Cowboys get our number 1. I'd hate to get Romo with that contract, that injury, at the price of a number 1 pick. Helping the Cowboys get rid of him is doing them a cap favor. Why pay a premium for that?

I don't know that scenario makes much sense. If the Skins really were interested in Romo, they'd have to have a franchise QB in the wings because Tony completing a 16 game season ever again is doubtful and he certainly isn't going to make the next 4 years as a starter. A team he's traded to does not necessarily mean that the new team eats the players contract because there are many ways that can be sliced up so in no way will Washington pay $75M/3 years for Romo and I don't know that there is any team that would outside of Dallas. What's he worth to Washington? More than Colt or a lot more than Colt? All things considered I doubt it.

Washington would make out better under the non-exclusive tag terms of getting two first rounders in the event Kirk signed elsewhere and I suspect that is a minimum of what they'd want or the equivalent of provided that they are interested in a trade at all. One first rounder + Romo is less than that. Something that included Elliot instead would at least be slightly more believable from a Skin need point of view but still don't see anything like this happening.

I could tolerate Romo if the Cowboys cut him and we basically picked him up for a dirt cheap revenge contract. I can't see paying him full price, helping the Cowboys get out of cap hell, and losing picks to do so.

At this point, Romo's too old, too injured, and too expensive.

Not talking about just playoff games, important games where he needed to step up, and didn't. That's a fault, it could be a bad one, he could over come it and become another late, come from behind great. It's why there is more than likely trepidation at breaking the bank for him. He still has a lot to prove.

As for the put the game on his shoulders, I've seen more melt downs in critical situations than I have the former.

I have come to believe he is a top8 QB in the league and is still getting better, I have accepted he should/will get in the ballpark of 100 million over 4 years with half of it guaranteed.

I still think he needs to prove himself in certain areas. I think he can be better than Joe Flacco, who won a Super Bowl with a solid surrounding cast.

I respect your perspective - but the truth is, in the playoff game, the Redskins overall played poorly - not just Kirk. And the fact that he threw a pick to end our playoff hopes in 2016 gets too much attention. Overall Kirk has been outstanding. And enough with the 'he can't win big games'. I understand that until wins those post-season contests, that's accurate. But winning a ton of games straight down the stretch to win the NFC East Championship - those were ALL big games. He almost did it again last year. And he has played well in some very big games. I am only arguing that it takes a lot to win an NFL game, much less a playoff game, and for most teams requires more than just the QB to achieve it.

"The three organizations could soon discuss a trade that would send Kirk Cousins to San Francisco, Tony Romo to Washington and draft-pick compensation (including the No. 2 overall pick in April's draft) to Dallas, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday, via sources informed of the potential talks."

"To be clear, the proposed swap is in a stage so preliminary that serious negotiations have yet to take place -- and might never reach fruition."

So the teams "could soon discuss a trade"? Seriously? The teams "could" discuss swapping cities too.

And this hard news is "so preliminary it might not ever reach fruition"? That's pretty close to acknowledging it's pure speculation.

I refuse to believe this is real. I will never again root for the Redskins if this kind of nonsense occurred. And I think a lot of fans would feel the same way.

Sounds a lot like the Jeff Sessions - Russia conspiracy theories...

Last edited:
This is one I'd like to see Bruce publically call complete BS on. If it's really a made up fantasy, please let it be so, it's complete hack journalism and the team ought to call complete BS on it.

It came from the mind of Ian Rapoport - mere speculation.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Next.

Ax, did you write this article ? :)

Questions emerge if Colt McCoy can produce similar results at lesser cost than Kirk Cousins, per source

Is Kirk Cousins worth seven to eight times more than Colt McCoy?
In only three games did McCoy take all of the snaps at QB, but in those games he passed for 890 yards, an average of 296 yards per game, while completing 70.5 percent of his passes.

Project those numbers over 16 games, and McCoy would get to 4,736 passing yards. In 2015, Cousins' first full year as starter, he broke the Redskins season passing record with 4,166 yards.

Questions emerge if Colt McCoy can produce similar results at lesser cost than Kirk Cousins, per source | CSN Mid-Atlantic

No sir, I did not.

But as you know, I'm one who believes if we can't sign #8 to a reasonable deal (Mine, and almost everyone else's first choice) then get what we can for #8, and go with Colt. While grooming Sudfield, or some other kid from the draft.

Just as #8 would benefit from an improved overall roster, so would The Colt. Good enough, at a fraction of the cost.

I realize Boone thinks I've lost my last marble.

I like Colt. He just doesn't have the arm to win consistently as a starter imho.

I like Colt. He just doesn't have the arm to win consistently as a starter imho.

But he would be way cheaper and we could build the roster up. I see him as an andy dalton type, fits the system but isnt great, Kirk is slightly better than dalton, mccoy is slightly worse, but not 20 million dollars worse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.