• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Keim: Redskins wake-up call, Wednesday the 20th

Totally agree Henry, but one thing is at least worth pointing out.

If you text, or read John Keim about the two players that have stood out above all others this offseason, this will be his answer: Grant and Redd.

This kid can pop, my friend. We now all agree that Grant is on the 53, but maybe we haven't seen enough of Redd.

I don't care about his draft position, or if he wasn't drafted at all. Morris was a sixth round pick. If this kid is really bringing it as everyone seems to proclaim, then he's earned a job.

I want, and appreciate all of them. I love Morris and Helu. I didn't even know who Grant was thirty days ago.

This Redd is a great story. Hail to the Reddskins??? It kind of fits.

I like Redd, but let's remember - John Keim is a reporter. Not a football coach. I've been around him quite a bit. Nice guy. Very good writer. And one of the most knowledgeable Skins coverage guys ever. But he's not a coach, and trust me - his access to practices is extremely limited. I think sometimes fans envision the reporters out there on the practice sidelines all day long, every day. It doesn't work that way. Reporters get very limited access, and even when they do, sometimes they are so distant from the players as to almost be pointless in being there. I wouldn't put too much stock into any reporters comments, be they good or bad. Only the coaches really know what's truly going on.

Total respect Boone.

I'm honestly going more off of what I've seen, and just messaged John Keim to see if I was crazy.

Regardless, it's a great position for our team to be in. Someone's (Bruce) hit the draft.

well....personally...I'd like to see Seastrunk make the roster. I see him as the only back with break-away speed. Helu was supposed to be that off-set...but I'm not seeing it. Seastrunk has the potential to be that counter-punch sorta back. He'd be my choice if they keep three.

Where have we seen this breakaway speed, my brother?
Have either of these rooks broke one yet?
Against 3rd string, and future car wash employees, no less?

I still think they'll give Thompson extra attention. But if he's out, it does appear that Redd's overall game, is ahead of Seastrunk.

And I'll still take Royster over both of them.

I disagree but could be easily swayed...I like the young fresh legs to compliment Morris...honestly they are all pretty young and show promise...I guess blocking as pass catching are the tie breakers...most likely favoring the more experienced Helu and Royster. Young is a lock at his position barring injury in my opinion.
I hate to keep repeating myself, but Royster has started in this league. He's had a couple 100-yard games as a starter.

That's going to trump anything some late-round or no-round pick does against backups in the third quarter of some pre-season game. Helu and Royster are Seastrunk and Redd with experience. They will have to suck to be unseated. Thompson can't stay on the field. If he doesn't do something soon I can't imagine him making the team.

Seastrunk to me is a guy you have to stash away on the PS this year. He is totally unprepared for NFL RB duties at this point--catching passes out of the backfield, protection--but has explosive acceleration and breakaway speed. Watch his first carry against New England again. Few backs have ever exploded through a gap like he did ... and then he cut laterally to the sideline and up w/o losing a beat. You get a guy like that on your roster, you find a way to keep him until he proves he can't grow into the rest of the duties an NFL RB needs to possess to last.

Redd and Thompson look like solid backup or potential spot-duty RB's. If it comes down to a choice, the coaches will use game/practice film and assessment of overall ability in all areas to make an informed one. But both will need to show them some pretty solid potential to unseat Royster, who I don't believe is ever going to be an elite every-down RB, but as a backup and solid contributor has more than earned a large benefit of the doubt.

Nice problems to have.

Courtesy of NFL.com, here is Seastrunk's first run, as referenced above. When they say "burst" in context of an NFL RB, what he does as he hits the LOS is what they're talking about.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/0ap3000000375350/Seastrunk-19-yard-run

And here's another run from that same series, which shows the burst/shiftiness that to me makes him a lock for the PS this year. You just can't coach that.

Washington Redskins running back Lache Seastrunk 21-yard run - NFL Videos

OM...I'm tracking on your thinking. here's a few countering thoughts vis PS

1) He'll be used in situations where he's not expected to block

2) He won't learn much on the PS

3) Some other team will grab him sooner or later

4) pass catching? yea....he wasn't used that way in college. but that doesn't mean he can't do it as well or better than...say....hands of stone ALF. for that matter Helu has dropped em now and then as well

you're exactly right - nice problem to have! I just see all the backs mentioned as starters as cut from the same mold more or less. Thompson I discount - it ought to be obvious that this cat has a long injury history. lace is the only I see with real open field ability to hit homeruns through shere native athleticism

I'd love to see Seastrunk on the active roster, don't get me wrong. The idea of sneaking dude onto the field 3-4 times a game and trying to get him the ball in the open field is intriguing as hell. I just don't imagine we'll have game-day roster spots available for a guy like that, who isn't going to play special teams unless it's a gadget play, very often. We shall see. :)

Well, he needs to hit those home runs against the scrubs.

Morris, Helu, and Royster have all had 19yd runs. Against the big boys.

Running slower eats up more clock too. :)

Is Helu a lock?!

I like Helu. But I don't LOVE Helu. And I've seen him easily injured. I do like his pass protection ok, but I've seen him whiff there, too.

So I ask: Is Helu a lock at backup? With all this supposed talent it seems a legitimate question to me.

And a followup: What is the possibility of trading some talent for some OLine!? 'Cause I guarantee we're going to need more there.

I don't love Helu or Royster either. As starters. They are both solid backups.

I did see some nice things from Seastrunk in that first game. I don't know, though. That was against scrubs. It's nice to know he can outrun guys who may or may not find a spot on an NFL roster. I don't know that that makes him a future star or anything. I would assume if he was THAT fast, Gruden would put him in for a play or two in the first quarter and see if he can bust one outside against a starting LB. So far I haven't seen that. Maybe this week.

Redd, honestly ... I have nothing against him but I don't get the love. He looks like a guy. Against backups. Can someone explain exactly what he's doing that is so phenomenal?

I would love to see Seastrunk returning kicks/punts :) don't know if they've looked at that or given him any time with those duties, but seems like that is where he could have the chance to make the active roster...

I thought he was going to be doing that...or that Moss would be given the chance to. I have to say that with the way Roberts is playing so well at WR that I am shocked we are putting him back there.

Redd, honestly ... I have nothing against him but I don't get the love. He looks like a guy. Against backups. Can someone explain exactly what he's doing that is so phenomenal?

The more i think about it PERSONALLY it has a lot to do with hitting big on an undrafted/late round guy. it's the wrong way to field a team and I understand that, but IF Redd were to be a big contributor, it would speak volumes to the front office finally making good TALENT choices. In the same context, I find myself rooting for Royster because he's a local guy who went to high school a few miles from where I work. Redd has looked good in the opportunities he's been given, and I would personally like to see him and Seastrunk get some more early game snaps this week. Give Morris a series, give Helu a series, then get the rookies in there against a starting defense.

A lot of people are looking for the Giovanni Bernard 2.0 because he was SO effective in Grudens offense in Cinci. Helu isnt that... But that's not what we need Helu for. Royster might be able to be that, but I would need to see breakaway speed from him on the pro-level as well.

Given what looks like an unusually large potential talent pool and only two preseason games left, the opportunities to see particular RBs-not to mention all the other guys being evaluated-in varying game scenarios and against different kinds of opponents-may be limited. I'd like to see Seastrunk trying a punt or K.O. return or two myself, for example, but remembering that Gruden is a first-year NFL head coach and undergoing a multi-dimensional learning curve himself with time constraints involved I have to accept the fact that decisions will be made that will result in "if only's" available within easy reach when "my guy" doesn't make the final roster or winds up on the practice squad only to get grabbed by another team.

I think the reason we haven't seen Seastrunk on kick returns is probably the same reason he's headed for the PS ... he hasn't shown he can catch the ball. A somewhat useful quality in a returner. :)

A year on the PS, learning the RB craft--pass pro and catching ball out of the backfield specifically--and a lot of time feeding quarters into the jugs machine, and I think we might be talking about this kid this time next year on a whole 'nother level.

Has he been dropping them a lot? I can say I haven't been paying nearly enough attention to these lower battles to know one way or the other.

Also, is Nick Williams pretty much a goner too?

Has he been dropping them a lot? I can say I haven't been paying nearly enough attention to these lower battles to know one way or the other.

Also, is Nick Williams pretty much a goner too?

I just read an article written on the 11th that he hasn't been impressive in the pass game and it's why he dropped to the 6th round in the draft.. Apparently people within the organization say he's 'behind the 8ball' when it comes to pass catching and it's been noticeable.

I can't imagine Williams gets the nod, especially seeing that video of Seastrunks run against NE and watching Ross block effectively on the outside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.