• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Karl Swanson leaving the Skins

Yea i wanna hear this, granola was always another word for Hippy back in the day.

a flake. a guy that has some off the wall creative ideas but no practical sense about how to implement them in the real world :)

the real world in sports is about motivation and player egos and the coaching cycle.

it's not enough to just go up to the podium with 'Head Coach' written on your hat and expect 53 men to buy into what you are saying.

you have to sell them on WHY they need to do X or Y, and Zorn never did that effectively.

Yeah, OM but the truth is that there is ALWAYS somebody looking these days :D

I really have no opinion on whether Swanson's departure was voluntary for the reasons he provided or part of some larger clean-up effort. I find it very difficult to believe that the 'cheerleader episode' was a big enough deal to constitute some kind of a 'final straw' though. I could see Allen looking at Swanson and the way they've managed PR for a decade and just feeling that style didn't fit in with the overall culture change they're trying to accomplish. I could also see a scenario where Swanson staying might be contigent on him accepting changes of such a magnitude, he just decided it wasn't worth it on a personal level.

All we can do is speculate though.

And BB - I think where some of your guesses may miss the mark is that they are based on someone actually paying attention to ES as a significant entity or property. My experience was that , after acquiring the site, the team largely had no interest in it and devoted almost zero resources to developing the site. The most likely response of a new PR VP might be, a couple years from now, 'huh? we have a fan website?' :)

I have always considered the job of GM to be a Football Operations position and as such, not in control of things like Marketing. That is for the next step up the food chain from GM, in my view.

Frankly, the idea that Shanahan or Allen have any influence, be it direct or indirect, on that side of the house bothers me just as much as the idea of the Snyder scouting and picking players did. Football is for football guys and business is for business guys.

Somehow I doubt Allen was involved in this, regardless of why Swanson left.

You're probably dead-on Bob, although its possible there's a general effort to 'clean house' to change the 'organizational culture', and Swanson departing one way or another was part of that. My gut tells me this other stuff is coincidental, and that Swanson's giving an honest reason. Or, as I said, he's just had enough for other reasons and chose to keep the real reasons to himself.

whatever happens, we'll certainly have a front row seat for it.

my predictions - based on nothing but my (lack of?) instincts...

A. current access to the team through select members will change entirely. i'm predicting it will be eliminated.

B. members sitting in the press box will no longer be allowed.

C. "insider" information will be sharply curtailed or eliminated if at all possible.

D. elimination of members selling their own team related items, including tickets.

E. censorship - no way to predict what and how much, but i have a feeling that some changes will occur in this area.

the first three predictions are based on how mr. allen prefers to keep team information away from the public until something is definite.

i'm just a bystander and plan to take this approach...:kick_can:

I gotta think that would be an even BIGGER PR nightmare. The idea is to IMPROVE the fan experience, not damage it. Can you imagine the uproar as ES, and pretty much every other Redskins-related board if that happened. Cutting off access would be cutting off their nose to spite their face. It would likely be bigger than signgate, unless the PR department kisses and makes up with the media first and the media decides it's not big news.

Just remember Danny, apathetic fans don't buy merchandise.

As to this cheerleader thing not being a big deal - I kind of had the opposite reaction. Seemed like a PR nightmare in my opinion. Threatening to fire the wife of a returning war hero for talking to the wrong reporter? Are you kidding? I'd bet the majority of Redskins fans support the war and gun rights, the exact type of people this sort of story pisses off.

According to someone on another site with inside sources at the Skins (believe me, they've been consistently accurate), Karl was indeed fired but like Vinny, due to their long relationship, was allowed to officially resign. Pretty much like I thought it'd played out.

I don't know who is to blame for the Homecoming story debacle, but that is more or less water under the bridge.

Really feel for Tony Wyllie and the job he has before him. Much like Allen and Shanahan, he has a lot work to do. Hopefully these three men can restore the credibility this organization once enjoyed.

It's like finding an edgy old car, their is a ton of work to do before she is ready for the concourse.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.