• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Just finished Season One of The Wire

Goaldeje

The Legend
Reaction score
Alma Mater
James Madison
Holy hell. Lanky, I know you recommended this a while back, so I bought the box set when Amazon had it on sale, and it's been sitting on my shelf for a year now.

Anyway, I am now sorry I have been wasting my time with anything else. Sweet Lord, that is a hell of a show. I love a good TV show that essentially says, Eff You to the people who want a traditional denouement at the end of each episode. The stories are so rich, characters so human, what a great show.

I don't usually do this, but if you have not seen it, Netflix it or whatever. Great effing show. Starting on Season 2 tonight.

Goal, this is without a doubt my favorite television series of all time! That's why I put it in the Movie Rewatchability Scale thread. I have an HBO Go account on my computer so I have access to all 5 seasons. Check your local cable carrier, you could save on the rental fees and time waiting for them to ship if you have HBO, unless you just want to purchase the discs. Plus you're moving but HBO Go goes anywhere you go. . I just finished up season 1 last week and have started season 2. Mind you, I have seen every season about 3 or 4 times now.

You should enjoy the different story lines as you progress through the seasons.

I own this too. A must have, one of the best out there.

great scene

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIvu1yg3bU[/media]

after that one scene I was hooked, knew it had to be great and I was right.

Omar scenes are the best

Im gonna rewatch a couple of them now since you reminded me, but I wont tempt you with them. Keep watching it definately will entertain.

That's the stuff that I love, the dialogue is fantastic. The scene where D explains chess is breathtaking, absolutely incredible.

To those who haven't seen it yet, here is how good it is, my wife and I were both in tears when a drug dealer was shot. Because we liked the character so much. A drug dealer.

The chess scene is very awesome. That show does a great job of making horrible people likable characters.

Never seen a single episode, althought I've got Season 1 on dvd sitting in my sunroom waiting. My dad is a huge fan and lent me the set. Guess I'll have to get with the program at some point.

Never seen a single episode, althought I've got Season 1 on dvd sitting in my sunroom waiting. My dad is a huge fan and lent me the set. Guess I'll have to get with the program at some point.

It will take your breath away, my friend. I do not usually unequivocally recommend many pop culture items to anyone, but will do so with this. Phenomenal.

I remember when I happened upon this series. I worked late hours so I got home on a Sunday night and caught part of the 4th or 5th episode of the series. I was enthralled and couldn't wait for the next episode, but didn't have a real grasp on the characters. With the series faltering among viewers, they ran a marathon leading up to the 5th or 6th episode that I was able to watch all the way through. I was hooked. It was a smart move by HBO too because the series was on thin ice.

For those of you who like The Wire, sometime when you get the chance check out the series The Corner.

You gotta watch. Season 1 has one of my favorite scenes in the entire show - the desk scene (you'll know it when you see it). The entire series is filled with little scenes that enhance character development, are metaphorically related to the entire show, and simply make you smile. The writing, plot and character development are just outstanding!

I found the series in the same way El did...maybe even the same episode! I was on a summer internship, and the apartment they rented for me had HBO. I was hooked...and also like Brian, I've watched the entire series probably 4 to 5 times; some seasons more than others.

Its crazy how you can end up despising the "good guys" and loving the "bad guys" so easily with this show...but that's exactly what happens. One of the major themes.

Just finished season 4 and... wow. I see why Metacritic lists that season as possibly the best season of TV ever. Dayum. Unreal. Or... more apropos, very, very real. Having taught in an inner city public school system, my wife spent half of the season being depressed about the truths it portrayed.

Ha! You skipped over seasons 2 and 3. Impressive series of TV, huh?

Season 4 was not one of my favorites. I was disappointed about the loss of characters like Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell. They were the characters that helped develop the show. But I think the willingness of the writers to lose main characters was a major strength in the series. We were able to watch other characters develop. One of the most intriguing characters of season 4 is Michael. I was enthralled as the young man transformed from a kid focused on providing for his little brother to what he became.

No we watched two and three also, and they were phenomenal as well. My wife was upset with the Stringer situation because she likes the "hot drug dealer".

The Michael/Nammond plot was fascinating for me as well. I love how the show does that; at the beginning of the season, the viewer feels confident about which path each player will take. Terrific writing.

Last edited:
I like the realism of the characters. I usually do not enjoy movies/ shows that the bad guys are the main character/ hero. This is different because they are developed into real people. I thought the portrayal of the school system and kids was depressingly realistic.

Season 4 was not one of my favorites. I was disappointed about the loss of characters like Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell. They were the characters that helped develop the show. But I think the willingness of the writers to lose main characters was a major strength in the series. We were able to watch other characters develop. One of the most intriguing characters of season 4 is Michael. I was enthralled as the young man transformed from a kid focused on providing for his little brother to what he became.

The downplay of Avon & Stringer and the rise of Marlo is one of the main themes of the show - the more things change, the more they stay the same. You are the first person I've ever heard who did not count season 4 as one of the best! Season 4 is my personal favorite; although picking a favorite season of the Wire is akin to picking a favorite Redskins superbowl victory. :)

I swear guys, I can't even get past the very first episode...I'm trying to buy in to the hype, but I'm not even mildly interested so far....

I swear guys, I can't even get past the very first episode...I'm trying to buy in to the hype, but I'm not even mildly interested so far....

We always knew there was something wrong with you Boone. :insane:

Keep with it. I was grabbed immediately and knew I was gonna love it, but it took my wife and episode or two. Stick with it, I promise you will be rewarded.

Alright. I'll force myself to watch the first 2 or 3 and see what happens...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.