• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Is There A (Shanahan) Mole In The House?

How do you know the quality of the RB coach - seriously? You think a brand new first time head coach is going to come in and keep a bunch of lower tier assistant coaches he doesn't know? Why should he? We were 3-13 for a reason - I don't think he needs to be terrified he's letting a hidden gem go. His career is on the line - he's going to bring in guys he believes in. And since we don't know exactly what, if anything, Haslett's role is going to be yet, how bout we relax until we do know?

I'm going to change your username to SkinsFML :)

Why are some of you so quick to discount talent?

If Joe Bugel had been given this group of linemen to coach there never would be any Hogs.

Players have to work hard to learn but they also have to have a talent base commensurate with success in the NFL.

How do you know the quality of the RB coach - seriously? You think a brand new first time head coach is going to come in and keep a bunch of lower tier assistant coaches he doesn't know? Why should he? We were 3-13 for a reason - I don't think he needs to be terrified he's letting a hidden gem go. His career is on the line - he's going to bring in guys he believes in. And since we don't know exactly what, if anything, Haslett's role is going to be yet, how bout we relax until we do know?

I'm going to change your username to SkinsFML :)

I can't speak for the rest of the coaches but Turner has had great RB's every year and they are nearly always guys who came out of no where.

Why are some of you so quick to discount talent?

If Joe Bugel had been given this group of linemen to coach there never would be any Hogs.

Players have to work hard to learn but they also have to have a talent base commensurate with success in the NFL.

Which is why I wanted to keep Turner. I think he was instrumental to picking that talent. In fact, I think he and Alex Gibbs put together the running game in Denver between them and Shanahan got the credit. Has Mike ever had as a line as he did when Gibbs coached for him? My guess is that if Turner had left we would have seen the RB's fall off too.

A head coach gets to pick his own coaches. That's the way it should be and that's way it is.

And I don't disagree with it, John. I just wish Gruden would have kept Turner.

You have watched the team closely for the last 4 years, which group has performed better? The RB's or the Defense? And yet we currently appear to be keeping Haz. Just sayin'.

Jay can pick his coaches, that is his prerogative. It's mine to pontificate as if I know something. :)

It's called nitpicking :)

It's only nitpicking if The Butler doesn't take a step back this next year, my friend. ;)

Sorry, I'm just disappointed. I had hoped for some positive continuity on the staff. Failing that, I want a complete turn over. I will now be seriously pissed if Haz sticks around.

I can't speak for the rest of the coaches but Turner has had great RB's every year and they are nearly always guys who came out of no where.
Tim Hightower great?
Willie Parker great?
Larry Johnson great?
Ryan Torrain great?
Keiland Williams great?

And while I am a fan of CP, he was a true workhorse, antics aside, when Turner was here was his worst season in the NFL. I know he was oft injured, but great under Turner?

Helu great?
Royster great?

Neo, I understand what you're saying...it appears Turner was a good coach, but the only RB we've had under Turner that was great was/is Morris.

Which is why I wanted to keep Turner. I think he was instrumental to picking that talent. In fact, I think he and Alex Gibbs put together the running game in Denver between them and Shanahan got the credit. Has Mike ever had as a line as he did when Gibbs coached for him? My guess is that if Turner had left we would have seen the RB's fall off too.

And in Denver I would say the there was only one true great with a lot of good RB's who succeeded in that scheme.

El,

Turner was the RB coach in Denver for Davis, Portis, Gary, Anderson and Droughens. You can't look at his career here in Washington alone.

Hightower got hurt or I think we would be including him on this list. We were all excited about him at the time.

Parker and Johnson were brought in to look at but were clearly done. Can't blame a guy for trying, they were cheap and available.

Torrain and Williams were clearly misses although at times fans were excited about both. Turner didn't hit on every back in Denver either.

Helu is a solid change of pace back. Great find as far as I am concerned. Royster has had his moments and isn't bad for a 6th or 7th round pick unless you want to compare him with Morris and Davis, both taken in the 6th round.

El,

Turner was the RB coach in Denver for Davis, Portis, Gary, Anderson and Droughens. You can't look at his career here in Washington alone.

I wasn't...Terrell Davis was arguably the only "great" RB there. The others were not great or they would have succeeded elsewhere if they were great...except probably Portis, but...

You clearly said,
Turner has had great RB's every year
. He just didn't. He had a great RB for 2 out of 4 years in DC and about half his tenure in Denver...not every year.

First and maybe still the only RB in NFL history to run for 1500 his first 2 seasons in the NFL, but Portis wasn't great?

Also:
Youngest player to rush for 2,000 yards- 22 years, 48 days
Youngest player to rush for 3,000 yards- 22 years, 104 days
Youngest player to rush for 4,000 yards- 23 years, 81 days
Youngest player to rush for 5,000 yards- 24 years, 66 days
Youngest player to rush for 6,000 yards- 25 years, 23 days

Also Morris isn't as good as Portis and if Portis had stayed in Denver he would likely be a HOFer.

First and maybe still the only RB in NFL history to run for 1500 his first 2 seasons in the NFL, but Portis wasn't great?

Also:
Youngest player to rush for 2,000 yards- 22 years, 48 days
Youngest player to rush for 3,000 yards- 22 years, 104 days
Youngest player to rush for 4,000 yards- 23 years, 81 days
Youngest player to rush for 5,000 yards- 24 years, 66 days
Youngest player to rush for 6,000 yards- 25 years, 23 days

Also Morris isn't as good as Portis and if Portis had stayed in Denver he would likely be a HOFer.

Who said Portis wasn't great?

Ryan Torrain was only a miss due to health concerns - when he was healthy, he was fairly dominant. Unfortunately he was never healthy.

I wasn't...Terrell Davis was arguably the only "great" RB there. The others were not great or they would have succeeded elsewhere if they were great...except probably Portis, but...

You clearly said, . He just didn't. He had a great RB for 2 out of 4 years in DC and about half his tenure in Denver...not every year.

"Every year" was something of a figure of speech. Perhaps I should have said more often than not.

Consider the other 31 teams in this league and how few of them manage to have "plug and play" running backs like Denver did while Turner was there. Part of that was the Offensive Line coached by Alex Gibbs, no question. That line might be the best zone blocking group ever assembled. But part of that credit belongs to Turner for coaching the backs up correctly.

I'm not going to argue it, El. Turner's track record speaks for itself. At least for me.

The Redskins tailbacks in Morris and Helu and fullback, Young, are guys Gruden can win with.

Would it be great to bring in a bigger back with speed to backup Morris?

Yes.

But compared with where we are at wide receiver or the lines or secondary, this is a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have'.

The Redskins tailbacks in Morris and Helu and fullback, Young, are guys Gruden can win with.

Would it be great to bring in a bigger back with speed to backup Morris?

Yes.

But compared with where we are at wide receiver or the lines or secondary, this is a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have'.

I was thinking the other direction... it would nice to have a more consistent change of pace guy. I like Helu and he's shown he can be a suitable backup, but I wouldnt mind having a game breaker, change of pace guy...

I was thinking the other direction... it would nice to have a more consistent change of pace guy. I like Helu and he's shown he can be a suitable backup, but I wouldnt mind having a game breaker, change of pace guy...

Maybe the kid from FSU can develop into that change of pace guy we want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Maybe the kid from FSU can develop into that change of pace guy we want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

As much as I hate to say it, he just seemed to have too many problems holding on to the ball.

I thought teams couldn't interview while they were in the playoffs?
Which makes me wonder if Tennessee tampered with San Diego or if maybe they flew out their to interview him?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.