• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Introductions

Thanks again everybody, the welcome just gets warmer! Never had any doubt that this was the place for me :smile2:

That is quite a comprehensive list BB! Struggling to think what I could bring to the table? Perhaps being a few hours ahead, I can turn the lights on in the morning, fire up the heating, get the kettle on?

I look forward to drawing on the fountain of knowledge, Nobody... I actually did have a question about the liklihood of the Houston Rockets reaching the play-offs or beyond if there are any NBA fans around? Know they're on a pretty good run at the moment, and they were the one sports team I was able to watch live during my time in the US (a last second victory over an Allen Iversen led 76ers team), and would be interested to know what their prospects were. Not a big basketball fan, but would make an effort to watch the Rockets.

Any soccer (World Cup coming in the summer!) questions that arise, or anything UK related, happy to help.

One more question! This is the shirt that I found all those years ago. Any idea what year this would have been the team uniform?

Attachments

• redskins44riggo.jpg
    redskins44riggo.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 133
It's closest to the uniforms from 1972-81, but that exact design was never an actual uniform. The one picture was more along the lines of a commercially reproduced jersey type shirt similar to what you would buy in a department store. Still awesome though, it's Riggins :D

As far as the question about the Rockets, Lanky lives in Houston, and a few others here live in Texas, so one of them is bound to follow the NBA enough to know.

It's closest to the uniforms from 1972-81, but that exact design was never an actual uniform. The one picture was more along the lines of a commercially reproduced jersey type shirt similar to what you would buy in a department store. Still awesome though, it's Riggins :D

As far as the question about the Rockets, Lanky lives in Houston, and a few others here live in Texas, so one of them is bound to follow the NBA enough to know.

Interesting, thank you for that, it's been one of those nagging questions I could never answer! Now you mention it, the material has always felt a little too thick to be a replica uniform, not something I would ever want to play any sport in.

Greetings, UK.

Beyond adding one more welcome, figured I'd mention this early on ... we'll be having the 2nd annual BGO Tailgate at a home game to be named later sometime this fall. If you are able to swing travel and accommodations, you'll have a ticket to the game waiting for you.

Cheers brother.

Greetings, UK.

Beyond adding one more welcome, figured I'd mention this early on ... we'll be having the 2nd annual BGO Tailgate at a home game to be named later sometime this fall. If you are able to swing travel and accommodations, you'll have a ticket to the game waiting for you.

Cheers brother.

That would be incredible! The Mrs is on the case for a trip to Miami Beach house (she's obviously working a lottery win into the life plan)... if it ever happens, she's already aware it will involve a connecting flight to DC for a redskins game :D

We gotta try and pull off a 4:00 game next year... getting up at 7:00 was rough

Any soccer (World Cup coming in the summer!) questions that arise, or anything UK related, happy to help.

You will find you are not the only soccer fan here. In fact, you might not even be the only Spurs supporter. :)

Haha you weren't at the hotel the night before

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

You even brought coffee. I will always hold you dear to my heart for that...lol

But hugband and ol redneck couldn't wake up with a bullhorn!

Flag Etiquette!

I can't wait. I hate that I missed the last one (especially with a free front row ticket offered up), so I wouldn't miss this one for the world.

I never really did this when I joined the board so I guess now is an appropriate time since I've joined the staff officially...

CounterTrey aka Tom Gordon
Redskins Fan Since:
1978 Cowboy hater since '74. ;)

Relevant Experience: I grew up an Army brat living in Germany in my formative years as a football fan. In those days the Steelers were the Cowboys' nemesis and even as a 4 year old from half way around the world it was only natural to hate the team so infamously mislabeled America's team. So I was a Steeler fan at first until we settled in D.C. in early 1978. My fanaticism for the team only grew over the years and was punctuated in 1991 when I made a pre-season bet with a Skins hater friend of mine in College about the team and their record that year. Of course they went 17-2 starting out 11-0 and I was forever lost as an over the top, irrational fan of the team. The bet wound up getting my buddy on stage in front of 400+ people mid-set during a big band's performance to sing HTTR. I still have it on video to this day. After over 20 years on the list I became a season ticket holder about a decade ago, but not until I had moved 500 miles away to Columbus, Ohio. It's not an ideal commute for the 3 or 4 games a season I make it to, but it's generally worth it even when the team is craptacular like last year.

I joined BGO a few years ago after taking a break from Internet and specifically Redskins social communities for a few years. Before that I was an admin for several years at CPND and go back all the way to the old Washington Post Days with Meng the merciless and Co. in 1995. Back in those days the folks that started all these sites like ES, CPND, the Scout/Rivals network of message boards were all hitting the same single board and fighting with the likes of Steve Chase's dial up network on AOL to try and get into a text only true bulletin board. Redskins fan sites have come a long way since then and without reservation I can say that BGO stands tall above the rest. While all share some pretty cool features, the community and tone here is what sets BGO apart. It's just a classy joint that puts being civil and acting with class above all else.

Educational Background:
Lake Braddock 1989
JMU 1994
OSU- actually back in school trying to get another degree in Web development/web design

Day Job:
Web design/E Insurance processor for Dental office/stay at home dad

Life Philosophy: Life's short, choose your battles, play hard and live it to its fullest.

Favorite Quote: "You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help little men by tearing down big men. You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn. You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence. And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves." -William J. H. Boetcker - (1873 – 1962)---(often incorrectly credited to Abraham Lincoln)

Oh you mean Redskins/football quote? ;)

"The term 'genius' is inapplicable to anyone in this game. A genius is Norman Einstein." -- Joe Theismann.

"The three most famous people in this country are Michael Jackson, Prince and me." -- Dexter Manley.

"I know we don't have any Dallas people here; they are the ugliest people in the world.'' -- Joe Gibbs.

"I'd run over my own mother to win the Super Bowl." -- Russ Grimm.

"Rot, rot rot in hell!"

...."Die you Yellow Dogs Die!" -- John Wilbur and the Redskins doing the Cowboy death dance. Exactly why is this not still a tradition?

"Two-thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Fred Smoot." -- Fred Smoot

Hail to All!

I hail from the NW, just outside of Seattle & actually work downtown...walk by the CLink 5 days a week, sad to say. Don't really hate their team but their fans are a way different story. On the other hand, the media is even worse, but I digress...

Skins fan/Turds hater since the sunny, Sonny days. I was in livin' in DC when I first got into watching football and started a Skins fan - will die the same. Dad was a Cowboy fan; probably contributed to his early demise but it was fun for us to root against each other.

Been in ES since '09 (Johns Bass over there) so if I've stepped on any toes there on fans that are here...probably do it again. Really have had and continue to have some nice dialog there.

I just stumbled across this site while looking up some Manley quotes. Then started looking thru some of the threads and liked what I saw.

OK, on the name. Been a bass player for getting close to four decades now. For anyone that knows or cares my main ax that I use I bought new is a '78 Jazz. Don't make my livin' with it any more but it is six feet away from me.

Love the banner with all the pix here and all the smiley's.

:cheerful: HTTR

Welcome JB! I'm glad you are here!

Hail to All!

I hail from the NW, just outside of Seattle & actually work downtown...walk by the CLink 5 days a week, sad to say. Don't really hate their team but their fans are a way different story. On the other hand, the media is even worse, but I digress...

Skins fan/Turds hater since the sunny, Sonny days. I was in livin' in DC when I first got into watching football and started a Skins fan - will die the same. Dad was a Cowboy fan; probably contributed to his early demise but it was fun for us to root against each other.

Been in ES since '09 (Johns Bass over there) so if I've stepped on any toes there on fans that are here...probably do it again. Really have had and continue to have some nice dialog there.

I just stumbled across this site while looking up some Manley quotes. Then started looking thru some of the threads and liked what I saw.

OK, on the name. Been a bass player for getting close to four decades now. For anyone that knows or cares my main ax that I use I bought new is a '78 Jazz. Don't make my livin' with it any more but it is six feet away from me.

Hail to All!

This place has become an island of ES castaways, but not in a bad way. I was Extreme over there (I apologize in advance). For the most part, we get along better here, even those of us who hated everyone over there. It's just a different atmosphere here and what they're doing really works great.

One thing is for sure - the fans here are the smartest Redskins fans on the planet. Sounds cocky, I know, but you'll soon learn what I mean. Also, there is an expert on anything you could ever need to know here, Burgundy Burner will explain later with a detailed list as he does for all the newbies so they have a cheat sheet :D

Have fun, don't be a stranger, and welcome to your new addiction.

Welcome aboard JohnssBass. Glad to have you here.

Just so you know...

Boone provides the evening meals.
Lanky has the welcome packets.
Jugband provides the entertainment.
Elephant will provide portraits of your experience.
Neophyte provides the beverages.
Serv will give you timely updates when needed.
LoyalSkinsFan will provide a professional video of your experiences here.
SC_RedskinsFan provides the music.
Win4us is our hunting and fishing guide for such trips.
Mike provides the security detail.
Goal is the team psychologist - should you ever have a need.
Om gives morning lectures at no extra charge.
HOF44 is your bartender and designated driver - if needed.
Tshile gives you a sturdy firewall to keep out the nasties.
Henry has the morning doughnuts and coffee.
SkinnedAussie manages our International Relations office.
Snydershrugged is our career employment counselor, should you ever need it.
CounterTrey gives you insightful commentary on the team and will provide you with the necessary tools for a successful tailgating experience.
Nobody and China gives arcade lessons almost never.
Special K has aerobics classes three days a week and periodic advice for continuing students.
RG3 does everything for us - no other explanation needed.

Have a lot fun. :)

Hail BB!

I remember you from your ES days...wondered what happened. I seem to remember both us taking a bit of, shall we say abuse, and leave it at that? As long as we never agree on anything again, that should not be a problem, right? :eclipsee_Victoria:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.