• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Interesting tidbit about the Skins draft plans.

Jaworski was on ESPN and broke down Locker's game. He said that the danger sign with Locker is that his mechanics are really not that bad but even so he is still not a consistently accurate passer. He said college quarterbacks usually improve their accuracy in the NFL with better footwork but in Locker's case there may not be that much upside in that area and he could be a 54-55% completion passer in the NFL.

It's a real gambit at #10-15 with quarterbacks.

Roethlisberger was a steal in that area of the draft. Chad Pennington went in that middle group of picks and carved out an 11 year career in the NFL that started out well enough before injuries derailed him. Then there are guys like Jay Cutler, that have the physical talent, but don't seem to ever be able to put it all together in one package.

The last qb that was a consensus Top 5 pick who stayed in school and came out a year later was Matt Leinart, he of the average arm and below average accuracy. Doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the shed either.

What's funny about this year compared too the year that V. Young, M Leinart and Cutler came out is that Cam Newton reminds me a lot of V. Young and R Mallett reminds me of Cutler. I hope that doesn't mean that Locker is this year's Leinart.

We need help in many areas Sarge.

BPA is the only way to go. I do believe both lines will be addressed during the offseason, though.

And, you'll never be done with this team, and you know it. So, just stop!

We need you!

We need a QB - I'd be happy with Locker, but I think he might slip to the second round. I think we can definitely trade down from 10 and still have a great shot at him.

Yeah Sarge, nobody is buying that crap. Just shut your mouth, pick up your shovel, get in the hole and keep digging like the rest of us. :)

I agree that BPA has got to be our game plan going into the draft. An argument could be made that we need to draft guys in every position except TE and LT. We even need to examine the kicking game too but I can’t see us using a draft pick for that (I hope).

Obviously there are some positions we can wait on a little bit more than others in the draft. I can’t see us drafting a RB, G, or C at the 10th spot as there is always value to be found at those spots later in the draft. At QB though the elite guys very rarely fall out of the top two rounds with a big majority of them going in the first. Tom Brady is the exception that everyone notes but he’s such an anomaly that he proves the rule.

If we are looking for a franchise QB of the future, and we have to be, we definitely need to be thinking about taking a QB in the top 2 rounds. Will Locker be there at 10? I kinda doubt it with all of the teams who pick before us who could go QB. Trading down (but not too far) makes a lot of sense to me this year.

Keep these teams in mind. What they do will directly affect what we can do.

1. Carolina
2. Denver
3. Buffalo
4. Cincinnati
5. Arizona
6. Cleveland
7. San Francisco
8. Tennessee
9. Dallas

We need help in many areas Sarge.

BPA is the only way to go. I do believe both lines will be addressed during the offseason, though.

And, you'll never be done with this team, and you know it. So, just stop!

We need you!

What's scary is that someone (I can't remember who) siad right before the end of the season, "The lines are coming toegther"

I thought, "Oh ****, here we go. Another year where danny thinks we can get by with the "talent" that we already have in order to snag a (insert big name skill position here)'

I hope that's not the case. If so, I'll be thouroughly disgusted

1. Carolina - I agree with the consensus that they will probably take Fairley from Auburn - he's an all-world DT prospect like Suh (and yes, Haynesworth) who can take over a game when properly motivated. Unless he tanks his interviews and the combine, he'll go #1 overall.

2. Denver - Tebow has shown he was a fantastic pick in the first round, maybe even a steal. They won't go QB here - I wouldn't be surprised to see them go Patrick Peterson here. One of the elite DE/OLB prospects is also an option, but with John Fox the HC out there, they will most likely go defense first.

3. Buffalo - they will go QB, but which one? A lot of teams have Newton dropping, but I could see a team like Buffalo taking a shot at him really high. He's got that boom or bust potential; if he booms, it could turn a pathetic franchise like the Bills around in a hurry. Gabbert from Missouri is also an option here.

4. Cincinatti - They are going to have a huge hole at WR to fill when Ochocinco moves on (he may be done already, he's on the tail-end of his career), but with the Palmer trade-demands, they have a need at QB also. Newton, Gabbert, Mallet and Locker are all options here. But so are Julio Jones, AJ Green, etc. Not sure if any of this year's WR crop is worthy of a top 5 pick though. That being said, the Bengals will not pass on Patrick Peterson if he drops to them, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them take another impact defensive player if he doesn't, especially with Marvin Lewis signing an extension.

5. Arizona - they need a QB also, but I think they like their rookie from this year, Max Hall. So they may go the veteran QB route (McNabb, anyone?) as a stop-gap until Hall can develop. Beanie Wells has been a disappointment, and with Whisenhunt at the helm, I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach on Ingram here to improve the running game. Either that, or an impact Defensive player.

6. Cleveland - Colt McCoy seems to be well-liked in Cleveland, so I doubt they go QB.

7. San Francisco - I could see them going QB, but they probably have their eyes on Gabbert. If he is gone, they could trade down or take a defensive player. Maybe Prince Amukamara from Nebraska or one of the DE/OLB prospects. Vonn Miller, Rob Quinn, Marcell Dareus are all options here. They also have a big needs at WR and OL, so this pick really is a wild card.

8. Tennessee - They could very well go QB here also, with the aging Collins their best option at this point.

9. Dallas - Jerrah still likes Romo, even with his struggles this year. I think the Cowgirls look to shore up that terrible secondary here, with Peterson or Amakamura (god forbid either drops this far), or maybe reaching on Brandon Harris from Miami. The Girls also desperately need to revamp their OL, but Jerrah hates drafting OL in the first round and that trend will probably continue, since there aren't any elite OL prospects in this year's draft (compared to recent years). However there is always someone who reaches on an OT prospect, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Girls trade down here either.

So I see 3-4 QBs potentially off the board, but I'm not sold that they will be. I think Newton and Gabbert are the big prizes, and if they are gone, teams will be hesitant to draft a QB. This could all change at the combine, however, if one of the other QBs steps up and blows everyone away. I have a feeling the hot name in April will be Andy Dalton, after he lights up the combine.

So, with the uncertainty at the QB position coming out in the draft this year and the teams that are desperate for QB help, you guys actually think we are going to acquire a franchise QB this draft? Highly unlikely. I like Locker, but we can't take him at the 10 spot. Gabbert either! Cam Newton has NFL QB Bust written all over him. Who else? If there is a QB in the 2nd round we can take a risk to acquire, yes, take them! If there isn't, we can't waste the pick on uncertainty. A good Center or guard can be taken with the 2nd round pick. I am afraid we are going to have to take BPA with the 10 pick since we have so many needs.

After checking out several mocks htttp://walterfootball.com/draftdata.php the general consensus seems to be that we might be the first or second team to select a QB now that Luck has decided to stay in school. McNabb was mentioned as a possible destination for the teams that pick before us rather than them drafting someone. Maybe he’ll have better market value for a trade than we first thought. The logic is that teams that have coaches on the hot seat aren't going to want to sink or swim with a rookie QB.

Locker seems to be the logical number one guy at QB, at least to me. He shouldn’t go from the number one prospect last year to an also ran in one season. If the scouts saw number one overall talent last season I can’t see how that assessment could change but so much. Cam Newton might have been in play if Danny and Vinny were running the draft but I can’t see it under Shanny. The combine could change everything though. QBs and LT’s have a knack of making big moves up the board after the combine. This seems to be a big draft for defensive guys at the top of the draft.

I think Locker will be there at 10. I don’t know if the staff will take that chance of trying to move down a few slots and risk not getting him at all (if they decide he’s our guy). You never expect to have a selection in the top 10 and I hope like the rest of you that it will be a long time before we have another. If we have a chance to get a franchise guy this year we have to do it.

We got our franchise LT with the #4 overall pick last year. Shanahan basically told him "you are on your own out there" and T Williams went against some of the best pass rushers in the game with no help at all. He will be ready to become an elite left tackle in his 2nd year and will be in charge of protecting our new franchise QB. Who I think we draft at #10 this year.

Personally I would not draft a QB in the top couple of rounds. However, if I had too it would Locker.

Last edited:
A lot of people said that about Tebow also.

And he still may be a failure. Two good games does not make a successful NFL QB. I think Tebow can win. The kid has demonstrated a winner's edge.

But your comparison is way off!

Cam Newton has character issues! Cam Newton has not demonstrated any stability in his life. Cam Newton has been in trouble with the law. If his father is trying to sell him off to the highest bidder, do you think Cam Newton is going to display any loyalty to the team that signs him, especially if they are losing?

More like Vince Young than Tim Tebow Lanky and I think you know it!

A lot of people said that about Tebow also.
Considering what the Broncos gave up just to draft him, he's a bust right now.

No one even knows if he'll ever get straightened out fundamental-wise to become even a decent passer in this league.

I think you'll see the league catch up to Tebow pretty quickly next season. If someone wants Newton this year, and wants to give up what the Donkeys gave up to get Tebow last year, I'd jump all over that one.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I think you'll see the league catch up to Tebow pretty quickly next season. If someone wants Newton this year, and wants to give up what the Donkeys gave up to get Tebow last year, I'd jump all over that one.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device
That's exactly what I hope happens.

Newton's there at 10 and Bruce and Shanny work to the phones to see what sucker...I mean team, buys into the hype and gives up some picks to move to 10. :elvis:

Considering what the Broncos gave up just to draft him, he's a bust right now.

No one even knows if he'll ever get straightened out fundamental-wise to become even a decent passer in this league.

I have no idea where Tebow will end up...but did you ever see Sipe play? Horrible passing fundamentals. Sometimes intangibles just play a big role.

I have no idea where Tebow will end up...but did you ever see Sipe play? Horrible passing fundamentals. Sometimes intangibles just play a big role.
Sipe or Bernie Kosar?

Marty once said that the reason Bernie hardly was intercepted was because when DBs looked at his release, they still couldn't tell where the ball was going. lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.