• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Interesting tidbit about the Skins draft plans.

Without getting too much off-topic, I think its a little early to start calling Tebow a bust. There is a chance the rest of the league catches up with him, true, but then again the SEC had film on him for 2 years and still could barely slow him down. Tebow reminds me a lot of Peyton Manning in his work ethic. He's going to be the first guy out there and the last guy to leave. Its hard for guys like that to fail.

Newton doesn't strike me as that kind of guy. I'm not sure what Newton is going to do in the NFL, but I also don't think he fits what we're trying to do here. I said Newton has boom or bust written all over him - he's a lot like JaMarcus Russell - one pretty good year in college followed up by a great combine performance - but he also reminds me of Daunte Culpepper in his playing style. He could be great, or he could be terrible.

Stop personally attacking me! :paranoid:

:)

I wasn't calling him a bust, LL. Just said he had the element of surprise late this year. I suspect with more film on him, teams won't be caught off guard.

And the SEC is great, believe me half my family lives in SEC country, so you'll never hear me disparage the conference. But it ain't the NFL.

Tebow was one of the reasons McDaniels was fired.

On a team with no defense and a quarterback in Orton that was top 5 in passing yardage, you use the #23 selection to take a developmental passer with clear deficiencies? :)

Let's face it. Since the Broncos 2005 appearance in the AFC Title game, Shanahan might not have accomplished much in Denver.

But McDaniels exported Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler from the team and then had to replace them, all the while sitting on a defense that needed to be rebuilt but lacked the picks which McDaniels used almost exclusively on offense.

Notice that the Bill Belichick tree of coaches haven't exactly set the world on fire since leaving New England.

Charlie Weis was a disaster at Notre Dame.

Eric Mangini was fired in NY and then fired in Cleveland.

McDaniels was fired in Denver.

Crennel was fired in Cleveland as well.

Kyle Orton was 11th in passing yards in 2009. He was pretty decent with a 21 to 12 TD/INT ratio, and a 62% completion rate, but he was not top 5 in any passing category. I don't think McDaniels drafting Tebow to groom while Orton was the starter is any different than business as usual on many teams, except that he used a 1st round pick to get him.

Orton was among the league leaders in passing yards for the first half of or so of this season, seemingly in response to Tebow being drafted, but then began to struggle as the season progressed. This is why Orton started the final two games.

So I went and looked at the draft position of the QBs in the Superbowl (both winning and losing) over the last 15 years or so (back to SuperBowl XXIX). There were 23 different QBs over that span that made it to the SuperBowl (win or lose).

12 of 23 were drafted in the first round. 7 of the 12 were on SuperBowl winning teams.

Of those 12, 6 were the #1 overall pick. * (S. Young was #1 overall in the supplemental draft). All but one of them (Drew Bledsoe) were on winning SuperBowl teams.

Two others were picked in the first couple of picks of the 2nd round (Brees, 32nd overall and Favre, 33rd overall).

The other three SuperBowl winning QBs from the last 15 years or so were Tom Brady (7th round 199 overall), Kurt Warner (undrafted) and Brad Johnson (9th round, 227 overall)

The remainder came from all over the place (3rd, 4th, 6th and undrafted) but never won it.

Sipe or Bernie Kosar?

Marty once said that the reason Bernie hardly was intercepted was because when DBs looked at his release, they still couldn't tell where the ball was going. lol

yea...you're right...Kosar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.