• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

If You Are The New York Jets.....

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
Aren't you calling the Redskins this morning to offer what may be a very high first round pick for Kirk Cousins?

Your 2nd round pick, Gina Smith just threw three interceptions last night, and ran out of his own end zone for a safety. He's awful.

Sanchez comes in, and leaves the game with a brutal hit to his shoulder. Test results are still coming.

Rex Ryan has a huge breakdown and just finally snaps in front of reporters.

So you have two choices:

A. Go 3-13 this season, fire Ryan at/ before the bye, and wait for next year, or

B. Pick up the phone right now and offer next year's first for Kirk Cousins.

And if you are the Redskins, is a possible top five first rounder enough? Or do you say no?

If Griffin were healthy, it's probably a no-brainer. But he's not. If last year's injury were Griffin's first ACL repair, it might even be tempting. But given where Griffin is, I think it would be a huge risk to let him go. And I'd demand two 1st round picks, and settle for nothing less than a 1st and 2nd round pick. The only offers we should entertain for Cousins are outrageous ones.

You gotta love Faux John Madden on Twitter. His take on the Jets situation?

"Faux John Madden @FauxJohnMadden 44m
Jets to give Matt Leinart a tryout to assure they have at least one healthy/****ty USC quarterback on their roster."

Hell, Rex would be a HOF improvement over any qb on that club. How about a 2014 2nd for Rex, Rex?

If Griffin were healthy, it's probably a no-brainer. But he's not. If last year's injury were Griffin's first ACL repair, it might even be tempting. But given where Griffin is, I think it would be a huge risk to let him go. And I'd demand two 1st round picks, and settle for nothing less than a 1st and 2nd round pick. The only offers we should entertain for Cousins are outrageous ones.

You have just read my mind. I was about to ask everyone what they would accept, and I agree with your line of thinking.

A first and second from the Jets may be nearly the equivalent of two first rounders. If we can just get them into a Vinny-like state of desperation.

A top 5 pick WR to play across from Garcon? Another elite tackle to protect RG3? A shutdown corner for the next six years?

We could do some damage with that.

Hell, Rex would be a HOF improvement over any qb on that club. How about a 2014 2nd for Rex, Rex?

I could see the Bills, with Kolb's career now in possible jeopardy, showing some interest in Rex or Pat White. Maybe even a third rounder?

I'd be inclined to keep Pat White around. Rex? Ship him - for any picks whatsoever.

Barring catastrophy, we won't be able to keep Cousins beyond his first contract, so he won't be a long-term part of our future. White, on the other hand, if he can keep developing/improving, would be a perfect backup. We don't have to teach two offenses. He can come right in if necessary and run the offense as is. And he'd be more than happy being a backup given he was out of the NFL prior to the Redskins trying to rejuvenate his career. He could work out as a perennial long-term RG3 backup.

Even after this season, I would be very reluctant to accept just a 1st for Cousins.
Either multiple picks, or trade for a proven, young player, that fits a dire need for us.
I'm too concerned we give up Cousins for a 1st, and then that 1st turns out to be a bust, which means we basically gave Cousins away

Even Pat White may be an upgrade over Geno.
Heck, we may have THREE QB's they may want to trade for.

Last edited:
We are not getting a 1st round pick for Cousins! I would accept anything we can get for Rex at this point and that is what I really believe could happen this week. Give Rex a solid OL and a decent RB and he could be good enough. It is when he is hurried that the dragon gets unleashed!

How desperate are the Jets ?

They are bringing in JOHN BECK for a tryout ! And that's not a joke !

Yeah, they're ****ting twinkies right now. I bet their owner has a migraine.

Lose a ton in ticket sales, or call the Redskins?

Watch your own fans bring hated signs into your stadium, or call the Redskins?

16 games of total embarrassment, or call the Redskins?

I bet the phone's ringing.

I think the phone is ringing more for Evan Royster (several teams are hurting at RB) than anything else. Like I said in chat yesterday, Royster could be on the trading block. This just a guess. A "faux injury" that came out of nowhere this week sure seems fishy.

Twitter was going crazy last night about Rex to Buffalo or the Jets. I don't see Buffalo making that move - their starting rookie QB will be there on opening day.

Rex Ryan on the other hand could be crazy enough to make a trade for a fifth rounder and give us a RT to boot. Not sure if their RT is a good one, but you never know. Offer us a 1st and 2nd for Cousin Kirk and the RT, then we make that move. An early first rounder can be traded down to get more picks (a la Ryan Kerrigan, Roy Helu, etc.). The QB class next year is very deep and we can pick up another backup gem to flip again in a few years.

My guess is the original one - Royster is on the trading block and we stay with the present roster as it is now.

We can't, read C-A-N-T, trade Cousins until we've had a season of seeing Griffin able to be Griffin. We just can't. Even for a Kings Ransom. If we got rid of Cousins, then RG3 tore that ACL a 3rd time, we'd set ourselves back 5 years. We only trade Cousins once we are confident that Robert is Robert again. And only then for a huge offer. My opinion.

We are not getting a 1st round pick for Cousins! I would accept anything we can get for Rex at this point and that is what I really believe could happen this week. Give Rex a solid OL and a decent RB and he could be good enough. It is when he is hurried that the dragon gets unleashed!

Man - am I ever going to agree with you on anything again? :)

I think you're dead wrong. I think Cousins has shown enough, and the hype on him (even outside of the DC area) is high enough, we could definitely get a #1 for a team that's blown a high pick on a QB that isn't going to work out ('paging Blaine Gabbert...Blaine Gabbert...') or one who is desperate to end an era of 'we don't have a QB' (J-E-T-S...JETS!).

I don't think we should take a 1st only for him. Because we've seen over and over that it doesn't guarantee you the ability to find a franchise player. But we could definitely garner that kind of interest, especially from desperate teams like NY.

I agree with El. Nobody is offering us a 1st for Cousins. He's simply not proven enough. I'm glad we like him, and I agree with Boone that we really can't let him go right now. For the sake of the team, we need a solid backup to Griffin until we know Griffin's knee isn't going to be a problem. But nobody is going to offer a 1st for a QB with one career start ... against the Cleveland Browns.

I do like the idea of seeing if we can get a ham sandwich for Grossman and keeping White. Sure Grossman is a better 3rd QB right now, but once we get that far down the list does it really matter? If we find a team desperate enough to give us ANYTHING for our third QB I'm all for that.

I really think trading Grossman is the best bet. He's a fit for both the Jets and Bills, a known commodity, and a value trade for us should someone step up and ask for him.

The truth is the Redskins are set up pretty well for the 2014 offseason. We will have $32 million in cap room to work with.

There is no way the Redskins are trading Cousins in 2013 under ANY circumstances. You take out the comeback against Baltimore and the win against Cleveland which Cousins converted, and Washington goes 8-8 last year instead of 10-6 and there is no NFC East title and playoff season.

Grossman won't be traded either because the Redskins need a third quarterback in 2013 and that won't be Pat White. Having an 11 year veteran that knows the system as well as the coaches as the third qb is a luxury no other team in the NFL has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.