• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I wouldn't get too attached to RGIII

the only Saftey in the league worse then him is R. Doughty(I love the guy's effort, but he just isn't NFL material)

and when has Doughty shown you one time this year that he's a liability anymore? Every time i look he's in on a tackle. He's not flashy, he's not going to make the BIG play... but he's also technically sound and he's in position. I'd put MONEY on it, and i know at least a few other people on this board agree with me, that had Doughty been in on Cruz's TD, that Doughty doesn't get caught flatfooted, and the outcome is different.

I don't understand the hate everyone has for Reed Doughty.. all he does is show up to play football. He catches a lot of crap that personally I think is unfair.

well we could look towards next year free agents , but with tha cap hit next year aswell were not going to be able to bring any talent worth signing next year so do we take are 2nd pick in tha draft and go for a CB , SS or pass rusher , we need tha pass rush up front , rodgers couldn't catch for **** , but he could cover thanks shanny !:claps:

Rogers walked, he didn't want to be here anymore, had nothing to do with Shanny letting him go...

and when has Doughty shown you one time this year that he's a liability anymore? Every time i look he's in on a tackle. He's not flashy, he's not going to make the BIG play... but he's also technically sound and he's in position. I'd put MONEY on it, and i know at least a few other people on this board agree with me, that had Doughty been in on Cruz's TD, that Doughty doesn't get caught flatfooted, and the outcome is different.

I don't understand the hate everyone has for Reed Doughty.. all he does is show up to play football. He catches a lot of crap that personally I think is unfair.

Dwyer ran right through him today like he wasn't even there. He got blown up every time today when he was in the box and at the line of scrimmage. i agree assignment wise he's very sound, but like you said he just can't make plays because of his lack of ability.

Do you really believe any other team in the league would have him?

Dwyer ran right through him today like he wasn't even there. He got blown up every time today when he was in the box and at the line of scrimmage. i agree assignment wise he's very sound, but like you said he just can't make plays because of his lack of ability.

Do you really believe any other team in the league would have him?

i never said he couldn't make plays... i said he's not going to make the BIG play. He's not a ball hawk. He got blown up... so did Fletcher.. he got stiff-armed like a punk, those plays happen. I don't care if any other team would have him. You need guys like him on the team. He's a shut-up and play kind of player. He's going to be where he needs to be the majority of the time.

He'll never be able to cover a WR 1 on 1, but that's not what he's here for.. otherwise he would be a CB. I think people are losing sight of what a safety is supposed to do. He's supposed to be SUPPORT... He's never SUPPOSED to be they ONLY guy in run support, and he's never supposed to be man-to-man on a WR.

Just looked at the total tackles stats for the Skins...

Doughty is ranked 6th... and 4 of the top 6 are DBs....Williams having the most. So as far as safeties go, Williams leads the team in tackles with 58, and Doughty has 35.... rough math tells me that 93 tackles this year have been between our 2 safeties... and thats a MUCH bigger problem then who we have playing safety. That screams to me that the safeties are picking up what the CBs cant cover... .which is pretty obvious thus far, but this is just a supporting stat.

Last edited:
Really? Rookie QB is now a threat to leave? His contract is already null and void? We have no chance to build a team around him? Amazing how the sky fell so fast.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

amen Mike... amen

Really? Rookie QB is now a threat to leave? His contract is already null and void? We have no chance to build a team around him? Amazing how the sky fell so fast.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Go talk to a Cleveland Cavalier fan about Lebron James. I'm not saying it's the same atmosphere in the NFL, but it's not a gurantee he'll be here with the new rookie contracts only being 4 yrs.

It's not going to be long before RGIII starts cracking trying to do too much if the rest of the team continues to play so poorly and that will piss off anybody, including RGIII.

Go talk to a Cleveland Cavalier fan about Lebron James. I'm not saying it's the same atmosphere in the NFL, but it's not a gurantee he'll be here with the new rookie contracts only being 4 yrs.

It's not going to be long before RGIII starts cracking trying to do too much if the rest of the team continues to play so poorly and that will piss off anybody, including RGIII.

so why didnt Cooley sign anywhere else?

Seriously, what does he have to do with this conversation?

cuz he was drafted by the skins.. he's been the ONLY consistently good player we've had over the last 10+ years, and he wants to be here... and he's re-signed numerous times. The way you made the first post sound, and subsequent posts after that one.... you cant figure out why anybody worth anything would want to remain a Redskin.

cuz he was drafted by the skins.. he's been the ONLY consistently good player we've had over the last 10+ years, and he wants to be here... and he's re-signed numerous times. The way you made the first post sound, and subsequent posts after that one.... you cant figure out why anybody worth anything would want to remain a Redskin.

No, you're way off base. I'm saying that RGIII's next contract will be the most lucrative contract the NFL has ever seen and that he's not going to be suckered by just money to re-sign.

If he thinks this organization is dysfunctional, like it has proved to be in the past, he'll want to go somewhere where he feels like he has a chance of winning. That could very easily happen if Shanahan gets fired and were re-building again in the next few years.

No, you're way off base.

and I, as well as quite a few other people think you're way off base for making this kind of assumption and knee jerk post because of a bad football game. You throw this opinion out there after half a season, is not only out of hand, it's actually completely pessimistic as a fan. I hate to break it to you, but not every player is only in it for themselves... and as lucrative a contract Griffin might demand, I know financially we can make it work, and this team will be vastly improved in the next 18 months.

and I, as well as quite a few other people think you're way off base for making this kind of assumption and knee jerk post because of a bad football game. You throw this opinion out there after half a season, is not only out of hand, it's actually completely pessimistic as a fan. I hate to break it to you, but not every player is only in it for themselves... and as lucrative a contract Griffin might demand, I know financially we can make it work, and this team will be vastly improved in the next 18 months.

You're wrong again. Yea, part of my post was inspired by all the drops we had today, but it's also strongly rooted in watching this franchise being run like a burger joint. Not to mention the actions of D Hall, which was his way of telling us he's done trying for the rest of the year.

I would not want to play for a team where that is allowed to happen. I guess a much better thread than this would be "What should Shanahan do about D Hall's actions today".

When I first saw the thread title, I was certain that that the premise was due to the threat of injury. And even after reading through it, I'm FAR more concerned of RG3's time in DC cut short, due to injury, than due to him signing a lucrative deal elsewhere. Of ALL people who would stay loyal to the Skins, it would be RG3. His character will keep him from bailing out on the franchise. And what if we win the Super Bowl, in his 3rd and/or 4th year ? Then the premise is not even remotely possible.

You're wrong again. Yea, part of my post was inspired by all the drops we had today, but it's also strongly rooted in watching this franchise being run like a burger joint. Not to mention the actions of D Hall, which was his way of telling us he's done trying for the rest of the year.

I would not want to play for a team where that is allowed to happen. I guess a much better thread than this would be "What should Shanahan do about D Hall's actions today".

absolutely.. and there are A LOT of things to be discussed when it comes to the way this franchise is run.. but i dont think the way you went about it was.. the best. It screamed "the sky is falling, the world is over, the end is coming" about RG3.

I STRONGLY agree with you that this team has had its share of problems and that Shanahan has made PLENTY of decisions that absolutely bewilder me and make NO sense. But he's also made moves to help this franchise. not only has he made moves to help this franchise, you see the product on the field (offensively).

Personally think hall should be released tomorrow. What he did was absolutely out of line, and inexcusable, and he's not valuable enough to the defense to keep him around. I dont think he deserves to be a part of this team. If he signs somewhere else, so be it. Were 'rebuilding' and we need to have guys out there that will be better for this team long term.

So lets talk about some of the moves Shanny and co has made thus far... and i'll start with the bad.

1. The signing of Donovan Mcnabb and how that whole situation was handled. Need i say more? Silver lining in this as that they SOMEHOW got a 6th round pick for him and that pick turned into Alfred Morris. Doesn't justify the signing, but hey... take what you can get.

2. The signing of Tenard Jackson. Having this guy on the roster, with the first team is inexcusable in my opinion. He was facing the suspension PRIOR to us signing him. He took all the first team snaps in the preseason, and now he's out for the year. That was 2 months of first team snaps that another safety could have taken and had that much more field time with the starters.

3. Grossman/Beck for 2011. In hindsight, it was worth it, as we were able to land Griffin this year at QB and he could come in as the starter. That being said, we should have addressed other positions a lot more actively.. In a SMALL sense, to their defense we didnt know we were gonna get pounded by the cap penalty but what can you do?

Now i'm going to point out a couple GOOD things that Shanahan and co. have done.

1. Roster moves. They did things, and let go of players that for some reason we couldn't shed before. Haynesworth, Kelly, Thomas, Portis, and we've gotten better, and younger because of it.

2. Cutting salary. We were supposed to be in salary cap hell, and we got out of it to the point where we can take a cap PENALTY and still put a somewhat competitive team on the field. This year is going to be a struggle, but this was the first game this season that you can say we legitimately got beat. Every other game we've been in. All of our other losses have been by 7 points or less.

3. Alfred Morris and Kai Forbath. For the first time we have a kicker who looks to be consistent... and hes a ROOKIE. Alfred Morris is still no. 3 in the league in rushing, and he's got over 700 yards. He's almost a LOCK to break 1000 in his rookie season.

I didnt even mention RG3.... simply because i didnt think that was even needing mention.

Im just trying to make a point here that maybe... just MAYBE we arent off as bad as people think we are... Were in year 3 of the Shanahan era. He's starting to get HIS guys in place. You cant win a championship in one season, i dont care what ANYONE thinks.

nope, this thread isn't an overreaction to a 3-4 team losing on the road to the steelers.

not at all.

I thought this thread was going to be about dumbass Kyle Shanahan sending the future of the franchise on a pass-route against one of the most head-hunting secondaries out there. Someone needs to punch him in the face for that ridiculous playcall!

Also, how was Ryan Clark not flagged? Looked like textbook "defenseless receiver" to me. Guarantee if Belicheat was stupid enough to send Brady on a pass-route like that and Clark does that same thing, Steelers are penalized.

EDIT: Might as well throw my other gripe in here - the overturned INT, was it just my imagination, or was that a BLATANT pass-interference? Dude was pulling down on Aldrick's arm. That is a rule I would love to see changed in the offseason - if the refs see PI in the review, let them call it! Sheesus.

If Griffin was the type of player to abandon a losing franchise he'd have pulled an Eli Manning and just refused to sign with us in the first place. The only Franchise QB I can think of that has done something like that was Carson Palmer, and he was a nine-year vet by them. Cutler wanted out of Denver because they seemed like they didn't want him, and not the other way around.

Other than those two not-particularly-similar-examples, what you're suggesting just doesn't happen.

If Griffin was the type of player to abandon a losing franchise he'd have pulled an Eli Manning and just refused to sign with us in the first place. The only Franchise QB I can think of that has done something like that was Carson Palmer, and he was a nine-year vet by them. Cutler wanted out of Denver because they seemed like they didn't want him, and not the other way around.

Other than those two not-particularly-similar-examples, what you're suggesting just doesn't happen.

Well Palmer was clearly frustrated with an organization that repeatably made the wrong moves.

Comparing that to the way we've been run since Allen and Shanahan got here is a complete joke - it's not even close to the same.

Cutler wanted to leave Denver because they fired Shanahan. I believe Marshall eventually wanted out because they got rid of Cutler.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.