• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

I could watch this every week for the rest of my life Americans Game Redskins 1991

some chump in the comments was trying to say that the Bills were a better team lol
Peter Queen actually wrote a column putting the 1990 Bills as the fifth best team of the SB era. When asked why the 91 Skins didn't make his top 5 but the loser Bills did, he insisted the 91 Skins were just not that dominant. So I guess the 91 Bills were just sooooo different from the "wide right" 1990 Bills that destroying them in the SB meant nothing.

The biggest knock on that team was that we didnt have a ton of HOF players and we actually had a bunch of guys who were seen as "journeyman" types who played significant roles. but the proof was in the results. when push came to shove, we dominated the Bills, and the game was never close or in doubt.

The biggest knock on that team was that we didnt have a ton of HOF players and we actually had a bunch of guys who were seen as "journeyman" types who played significant roles. but the proof was in the results. when push came to shove, we dominated the Bills, and the game was never close or in doubt.

Ahh, my brother, but you and I know that was the beauty, and genius of the Gibbs 1.0 dynasty. Blue collar types, not flashy, but would fight you on every down as if it was their last. Everybody who played them and didn't bring it for the full 60 got their asses kicked. I love that ethos.

EDIT: Mel Kaufmann, Neil Olkewicz, Monte Coleman, Kurt Gouveia...and that's just the LB core for Chrissakes! The list of so-called non-superstar players is endless, but I would take each and every one of those guys over an LT, because they played hard and they played the right way. Together they were greater than the sum of their parts, and I think each and every one of them knows it to this day.

Last edited:
Not just the Bills, but look at the playoff run.

24-7 win over the Falcons on a rain soaked day. Oh and earlier in the year we beat them 56-17.

Then...we beat the Lions 41-0 in the Championship. We held Barry Sanders to just 59 yards. We beat them in the 1st game of the season, 45-0.

Not dominant? Who can say something like that with a straight face...we won both playoff games convincingly against 2 teams we crushed earlier in the year as well.

Outside of our division, only 2 other teams played us closely...we beat the Oilers by 3, and the Bengals by 6. Other than that, if it wasn't a division game, it was a blowout and only 4 of the 8 divisional games were close.

King is an absolute fool for suggesting that team wasn't dominant.

Ahh, my brother, but you and I know that was the beauty, and genius of the Gibbs 1.0 dynasty. Blue collar types, not flashy, but would fight you on every down as if it was their last. Everybody who played them and didn't bring it for the full 60 got their asses kicked. I love that ethos.

EDIT: Mel Kaufmann, Neil Olkewicz, Monte Coleman, Kurt Gouveia...and that's just the LB core for Chrissakes! The list of so-called non-superstar players is endless, but I would take each and every one of those guys over an LT, because they played hard and they played the right way. Together they were greater than the sum of their parts, and I think each and every one of them knows it to this day.
Olkewecz was gone by 91 it was Millen and gouveia in the middle and coleman in the nickel and dime but we had picked up wilbur marshall who should be in the HOF, that guy was pure beast.

Not just the Bills, but look at the playoff run.

24-7 win over the Falcons on a rain soaked day. Oh and earlier in the year we beat them 56-17.

Then...we beat the Lions 41-0 in the Championship. We held Barry Sanders to just 59 yards. We beat them in the 1st game of the season, 45-0.

Not dominant? Who can say something like that with a straight face...we won both playoff games convincingly against 2 teams we crushed earlier in the year as well.

Outside of our division, only 2 other teams played us closely...we beat the Oilers by 3, and the Bengals by 6. Other than that, if it wasn't a division game, it was a blowout and only 4 of the 8 divisional games were close.

King is an absolute fool for suggesting that team wasn't dominant.
absolutely the turnover differential, the pf pa differential, the sheer one sidedness of almost every game suggest that King was an absolute moron.

I have been a skins fan since 82 hen I started watching football, and I saw the glory days of this team but nothing like that dream season, it was just so much fun to watch, deep passes to the funbunch, and just beast running by ervins, Byner and Riggs

King is only impressed with quarterbacks.

If a team finished 16-0 and won the Super Bowl he would denigrate them if they had a very good but not elite quarterback.

The NFL is still the ultimate team sport.

Unlike the NBA the LeBrons and Leonards don’t win each year.

King didn’t like Brady until they were on super bowl #3 and he realized his position was looking pretty ridiculous.

And yet King thinks Simms deserves HoF consideration...while simultaneously declaring how undeserving Theismann is for having his #7 reserved. I am trying to remember when Simms won MVP, or when the Giants set the single season scoring record.

Olkewecz was gone by 91 it was Millen and gouveia in the middle and coleman in the nickel and dime but we had picked up wilbur marshall who should be in the HOF, that guy was pure beast.
And Millen was inactive for the SB.

Yea 11-0 and 14-2 and 17-2 isn't dominant. Only allowing 6 sacks the entire season until the last game when all the backups played isn't dominant at all. I've always thought King and Zimmerman were goofy when it comes to the Skins. King continues to prove it.

Yes, but my point was that the entirety of the dynasty featured players of his ilk. Tough, hard-nosed, smart, and superbly well-coached. Unlike most of the years since, I was always proud of those teams, win or lose. I knew they were going to leave it all on the field.

And Millen was inactive for the SB.

Interesting side note: in the SB against da Raidahs, Millen was once quoted about an early offensive series where he filled and got hit right in the chest by the Human Wrecking Ball, aka Otis Wonsley. According to MM, he grabbed him by the facemask and screamed "you can't hurt me!"

He said of this moment, "hurt me? I couldn't take a breath without pain for a week."

Last edited:
It’s not hard to figure out.

King is a NY guy who was always a Giants booster.

Zimmerman was a big time Raiders fan and friend of Al Davis and although there was no long term rivalry in re Skins/Raiders, there was a good amount of hate in the 1980’s after the SB blowout and the trades between the teams that saw each side ripped off at one time or another 🙂

Yep, one of the best teams in NFL history and in the pre-game Terry Bradshaw still picked the Bills to win because they wanted it more 😊

I've had this in the back of my mind for a lot of years now ...

The Cowboys may well have cost us the ultimate undefeated season and uncontested title of Greatest Team Ever. I know that young Cowboys team was coming on, and yes I remember Aikman missed the last quarter with an ouchie, but had we not been 12-0 at that point and getting all the attention that brought, no way we lose that game. Mostly because Dallas played that game with a gambler's flair--a broke one down to his last chip. They gambled like crazy--first-half on-sides kick, going for it on 4th down several times--and on every key sequence seemingly got the lucky bounce--see first-half-ending Hail Mary TD. All that and they won by three.

Almost any one or two of all those plays go our way and we win--maybe not impressively, but we win.

And had THAT happened, no way Gibbs sits half the team in the regular-season finale in Philly, nor do we surrender a 12-point 4th quarter lead and lose on a last-second FG. Nope, we run through them in routine fashion and finish 16-0.

Think Atlanta or Detroit were going to beat us at home in the playoffs after that?

Jimmy Johnson gets credit for going balls-out, yeah, but Lady Luck and Fate played a big hand in keeping that '91 Redskins team from joining the '72 Dolphins as the only perfect teams in NFL history, and supplanting them atop the mountain. 19-0 trumps 17-0, and the comparative season stats and margin of victory stuff make it an easy call.

Friggin' Cowboys.

I've had this in the back of my mind for a lot of years now ...

The Cowboys may well have cost us the ultimate undefeated season and uncontested title of Greatest Team Ever. I know that young Cowboys team was coming on, and yes I remember Aikman missed the last quarter with an ouchie, but had we not been 12-0 at that point and getting all the attention that brought, no way we lose that game. Mostly because Dallas played that game with a gambler's flair--a broke one down to his last chip. They gambled like crazy--first-half on-sides kick, going for it on 4th down several times--and on every key sequence seemingly got the lucky bounce--see first-half-ending Hail Mary TD. All that and they won by three.

Almost any one or two of all those plays go our way and we win--maybe not impressively, but we win.

And had THAT happened, no way Gibbs sits half the team in the regular-season finale in Philly, nor do we surrender a 12-point 4th quarter lead and lose on a last-second FG. Nope, we run through them in routine fashion and finish 16-0.

Think Atlanta or Detroit were going to beat us at home in the playoffs after that?

Jimmy Johnson gets credit for going balls-out, yeah, but Lady Luck and Fate played a big hand in keeping that '91 Redskins team from joining the '72 Dolphins as the only perfect teams in NFL history, and supplanting them atop the mountain. 19-0 trumps 17-0, and the comparative season stats and margin of victory stuff make it an easy call.

Friggin' Cowboys.
My uncle and I used to argue about that exact scenario, I said " if we make even one of those swing plays in the cowpie game, we win, and if we won, Gibbs would not have sat all the starters and would have played that game to win. and I believe we would have won.

now if this was about the skins after 92, then our luck would have been to have a masjor injury or 4 and then lose in the first round. thats the difference between those two teams, one was pretty damn lucky, the other is so snake bit I wonder if JKC ran over a gypsy lady or something

• Fist Bump
Reactions: Om

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.