• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Howling for Howell

No one has film on Howell in the NFL. He is a complete wildcard. He was a 3 year starter in college and has an accurate deep arm.

There is no way Dallas wouldn't rather face Wentz and ring up the 42-7 victory or take on Taylor and win a grittier 24-10 type game.

Reactions: Om
3B4DAC17-3D42-4DB6-9589-4DFA93D1E15F.jpeg

Now if only he knew how to enjoy a legit steak.

So I watched the video of all his throws. Looking at just his throws, I was even more impressed than I was yesterday. Sorry Mike, I know you don't want to hear it. But not only was he hitting guys in stride, but he had 3 bad passes all game, 1 of which was caught. You can watch in the video, but here were his incompletions:

1 - Throwaway
2 - McLaurin drop
3 - INT (awful decision and pass)
4 - Dotson deep drop
5 - Patterson drop or catch out of bounds on the sideline, not sure what happened
6 - Tipped Ball
7 - McLaurin was interfered with at the 5
8 - Bad pass wide of the receiver

Basically, there were 2 passes all day that he threw that didn't go where he wanted them to go. The bad pass I mentioned above that was caught was a high throw on a screen to Samuel. I'm not saying he is the answer, it's just one game. But he does deserve the chance to be the guy next year to see what he can do as the starter.

High praise from someone that walks that walk.

I think Terry sees not only what Howell may be able to do, but what it might mean for his production.

A confident coach and front office would give Howell a chance to grow in 2023.

A coach burned by past moves at quarterback and a front office coming off 7-7-8 win seasons since 2020 is likely once again to go after a NAME in the offseason, showing their insecurity in depending upon their own picks and decision-making.

Knowing what we know now, and I didn't go to training camp, but I really don't see based upon comments about Wentz's inaccuracy during the summer how this guy was just given the starting job after the past 3-4 years he has put in the NFL.

Those 3-4 years were hardly a ringing endorsement of the player at 29/30 as being a sure fire success.

Jock-sniffing to trade for Jimmy Garoppolo isn't going to work for this team either. The player has been hurt 3 of the past 4 seasons and when healthy was working behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL.

He isn't going to come here and make a great difference to the bottom line. His run to the Super Bowl in 2019 reminds me of Nick Foles run in 2017.

An oft-injured player who has some talent gets on the field and catches lightning in a bottle and takes his team deep into the playoffs.

But for Foles there was no second act.

And for Garoppolo despite his continuation with SF, you can see by Shanahan's move up in the draft for Lance, that HE doesn't view Jimmy as a long-term answer at the quarterback position.

Giving up a #2 pick and/or a position player for Jimmy G to me is just helping Shanahan out again, as we did by gifting him Trent Williams for a #3 pick.

Last edited:
I agree Bulldog. I’m afraid going after another name is exactly what Rivera will do. I don’t want a lame duck HC committing big salary dollars and possibly draft capital on a QB. What I would do is make Taylor Heinicke the highest paid backup in the league and roll with Howell in 2023, and maybe draft another QB. If Howell can be the guy that is a huge factor for the franchise. If he can’t you start over in 2024 with a new GM and staff.

I don’t know how they curtail Rivera making big moves unless a new owner is already known and perhaps giving direction in the off-season. But Rivera clearly has zero clue on the QB front.

If as I fear Rivera does take another swing at a QB I would probably prefer either Carr or maybe Gardner Minshew. I think Baker Mayfield is another confidence-damaged head case in the making like Wentz.

At this point, I resign Taylor to backup, draft a guy this year in the middle rounds to be the 3rd, and give Howell the nod to start this next season.

I don't think you are going to find much better than Taylor to be the backup and if you bring in someone better than he is, that guy is going to expect at least a shot at starting.

I really hope Rivera resigns today. That would solve a lot of problems.

Rivera is 60 years old and definitely on his last NFL job. Who is going to hire Ron after he leaves DC?

He is going to squeeze every penny out of that contract that he can and that means sticking around until he gets a pink slip from a new owner, which may not come until December 2023 at the end of next season.

I think Ron is going to be a lame duck in 2023 and with everyone, including the players, knowing that its going to be rough sledding for him and his minions to keep himself relevant.

The younger players like Howell are going to be in for a stormy 2023 in Washington.

I’m not sure how him being a lame duck (as we assume he will be) equates to a ‘stormy’ season BD. What exactly do you mean by that?

When players and fans know a coach is not long for the job you start to see a lot more opening questioning if and when things don't go well.

Because we have dealt with Snyder and at least some of us disliked Allen and Gruden so much, we have given Rivera a 'pass' through at least years 1 and 2 of his regime. Those gloves started to come off this year and I predict you will see more of that in 2023.

Can you imagine this guy facing the scrutiny a HC of the Giants faces in NY? :devilish:

He would have been run out of town after that press conference.

But going back to the team, I think you will see a LOT more 'anonymous' honesty coming from the locker room if this coaching staff pulls half this crap in 2023.

Could be. I tend to think Rivera is well-respected by the players (whether they think he is a great coach or not) so I’d be a little surprised if we saw a lot of that. Might also depend on what player related decisions they make and whether we are having success on the field. Guess we’ll find out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.