• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Howard Eskin: Andrews Hasn't Cleared RG3

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
"Sources tell me RG3's dr, James Andrews, has recommended to #redskins that Griffin not play until after bye wk. Wash bye is week 5."

Howard Eskin is reporting this on twitter. Attention whore? Or good reporter?

I'm not familiar with this reporter, but this wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Andrews has been silent lately. No interviews, nothing at all.

Last edited:
"Sources also tell me even w recommendation by Dr James Andrews that griffin not play first 4 games, belief is shanahan will play him wk 1"

Last edited:
I don't even know who this reporter is. Is he a hack?

I'd love to see Andrews give his approval publicly, either on tv or in print. A Skins reporter should ask him for comments.

"Sources also tell me even w recommendation by Dr James Andrews that griffin not play first 4 games, belief is shanahan will play him wk 1"

I think that's a ridiculous assertion by this 'source'. With all the heat Shanahan took for continuing to play Griffin in the last game, no way in HELL he would disregard Andrews input. I think that's especially true given that Cousins appears fully capable of carrying the load if need be.

Honestly, this may all be garbage, or it may be true. But if we needed to hold Griffin out for an entire year in order for him to heal fully, I'd be okay with that - if the alternative was putting him out there not 100%.

Eskin is a Philly insider (for the Eagles, Sixers, Phillies, etc.). He is usually spot on and deadly accurate. However, he is thoroughly hated in Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley because of his large ego. Once in a while, he does miss on something. That's rare though and it would not surprise me if someone associated with the Redskins gave ol' Howard some falsehoods here.

This could be Eskin just trying to become famous.

With that said, I've seen Andrews on tv interviews over 20 times. He likes the camera. He's been silent lately.

So why doesn't a Skins reporter ask him for an interview? If they are too scared to, then ESPN will contact him.

Eskin is a huge tool for sure. I'm not sure how "deadly accurate" his reporting is. I do know that I could never listen to anything he said without rolling my eyes for the 15+ yrs I lived in NJ. Douche Canoe.

Now that this is out, its just a matter of time before Andrews is thrust in front of a camera and mic. My hunch is that Eskin is trying to pry any "mystery" that Shanahan is trying to hold onto out into full view..

People are hammering him, but he's not backing down:

"totally real from rock solid source"

After the controversy last season, you would think the Skins would like to quell this rumor quickly. Seems pretty easy to do.

Redskins PR will handle it in the right way. The last few weeks with all the questions surrounding the relationship between Griff and Coach is probably a blessing now. Coach can say what he has been saying about RG3's return and Dr. Andrews can defer all questions to the Redskins.

If anything, ol' Howard just made the Redskins poker face a much better question mark and the Eagles will keep on guessing right until game day (night).

I think that's a ridiculous assertion by this 'source'. With all the heat Shanahan took for continuing to play Griffin in the last game, no way in HELL he would disregard Andrews input. I think that's especially true given that Cousins appears fully capable of carrying the load if need be.

Honestly, this may all be garbage, or it may be true. But if we needed to hold Griffin out for an entire year in order for him to heal fully, I'd be okay with that - if the alternative was putting him out there not 100%.

Like you, I'd be fine holding him out until game five--if not even longer.

But if RG3 plays in week one and gets injured, then we hear that Andrews never cleared him, but that Shanny went to some other Dr. to clear him, I'll go crazy.

Certainly he isn't that stupid.

Others, including Mike Wise and Grant Paulsen are now calling this report false.

Sorry for the scare, if it is indeed bs.

No need to apologize. Eskin put it out there and maybe there is something to it. Howard is crafty and great at what he does, even if he is an egotistical boob. I would not put it past him to be doing some leg work for the Eagles.

Maybe this will get cleared up after practice today.

That makes zero medical sense based on what we've been told and seen with our own eyes to this point. Only way I buy the veracity of this is with a direct quote from Andrews himself.

Redskins swiftly deny report on Dr. Andrews? advice for RG3 | ProFootballTalk

Redskins swiftly deny report on Dr. Andrews’ advice for RG3

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 17, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
Washington Redskins v St. Louis Rams
Getty Images
When a report surfaced Saturday that Dr. James Andrews was recommending that Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III sit out the first few weeks of the regular season to allow his knee more time to heal, the team acted fast to deny it.

Philadelphia radio and TV reporter Howard Eskin wrote on Twitter on Saturday, citing unnamed sources, that Dr. Andrews had recommended to the Redskins that they not play Griffin until after their Week Five bye, which would mean Griffin wouldn’t get on the field until Week Six at Dallas on October 13. Eskin added, however, that Redskins coach Mike Shanahan was expected to play Griffin in Week One regardless of Andrews’ recommendation.

The Redskins quickly put out word that the report was false. Although the team didn’t make any official statement, multiple Redskins beat writers heard from an unnamed team source who denied the report. Chick Hernandez of CSNWashington.com, John Keim of ESPN and Mike Jones of the Washington Post all took to Twitter to say that a Redskins source had told them the report is false.

Shanahan, who took some criticism for his handling of Griffin’s knee injury in the Redskins’ playoff loss to the Seahawks, has insisted all offseason that he will follow the recommendations of the medical staff in determining when to put Griffin back on the field. So it’s no surprise that the “unnamed team source” quickly spoke out to say that the Redskins wouldn’t do anything to jeopardize Griffin’s health.

Disturbing, to say the least. I hope we hear directly from Dr. Andrews on this; until then I won't know what to believe. We have heard multiple times that Griffin is "superhuman" or something similar from Andrews, and that he is way ahead of schedule. So, it fits that he'd be ready to play week 1 - but if he's having soreness or something and Andrews wants them to wait....who knows? Its his second ACL; a bit different than the first one.

Erskin is Philly's version of Czabe. A pessimistic putz that likes to stir the pot.

Nothing to see here.

I like Grant Paulsen and think he's smart, just doesn't have the experience of some of the other beat reporters.

I'd trust a 5 year telling me he didn't break the broken lamp laying on the floor I watched him break before I'd trust Mike Wise.

Howard doesn't realize that our bye week is Week 1.

Dave Owens from WUSA asked Dr. Andrews about the report, and he said it was not true, as he hasn't been able to make a rec yet. So, maybe Eskin spoke to someone who said Andrews hasn't given approval yet and ran with it as a negative? Or even that maybe he was leaning toward "no." It will be interesting to hear Dr. Andrews' final recommendation, to see how much truth to the report there is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.