• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Howard Eskin: Andrews Hasn't Cleared RG3

Dave Owens from WUSA asked Dr. Andrews about the report, and he said it was not true, as he hasn't been able to make a rec yet. So, maybe Eskin spoke to someone who said Andrews hasn't given approval yet and ran with it as a negative? Or even that maybe he was leaning toward "no." It will be interesting to hear Dr. Andrews' final recommendation, to see how much truth to the report there is.

which actually wouldn't go against anything that's been said. i think the furthest they've gone is to say he's cleared for practice.

Nice find Lanky. And thumbs up to Dave Owens for contacting him.

which actually wouldn't go against anything that's been said. i think the furthest they've gone is to say he's cleared for practice.

It seems to me, and this is true of not just sports media, that in the desperation to "create" a story-especially one with a bit of emotion-provoking controversy the tendency does exist to fill the information vacuum-in this case Dr. Andrews position on Griff's readiness to play-with some kind of answer. "Well he didn't say definitively that RG3 was cleared to play,therefore I can write a sensationalist headline saying 'RG3 not cleared to play by Dr. Andrews (!)'", complete with that implied exclamation point. Fueled by the, IMO, "enhanced" seriousness of the disagreement between Shanahan and Griff over the schedule of reinstatement to full ability to play status these "headline whores" go into a feeding frenzy of inference generating hype and thusly keep their names out in front of the sports fans eyes.

Frankly, again IMO, a load of self-serving "Hey look at me I'm a serious sports pundit!" a**hats.

just an fyi being cleared to do drills is not like being cleared for full contact. I would prefer we let him heal fully before letting him risk his career on a partially healed knee, Ive waited a long time for RG3 and we paid a massive price for him, we dont need a guy who is ruined by being played too soon.

IMO Cousins can go out and help this team beat the Eagles in the opener. I don't see this game as a must for Griffin to play in.

It would be interesting to see how Cousins would do in a matchup with Aaron Rodgers in Week 2, but I see him besting a lot of the other NFC starters.

just an fyi being cleared to do drills is not like being cleared for full contact. I would prefer we let him heal fully before letting him risk his career on a partially healed knee, Ive waited a long time for RG3 and we paid a massive price for him, we dont need a guy who is ruined by being played too soon.

This pretty much sums up where I am at. No need at all to rush him back.

Right, and since we have a capable passer in Cousins going 1-3 games without Griffin is not going to kill our season from a competitive standpoint.

Kevin Sheehan just said he respects Howard as a reporter but isn't sure where he ranks in reliability for this type of story, that he called and talked to him this morning, and Howard said his source is 'rock solid' and the recommendation was given to the team within the last 3-4 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
He also said the recommendation was specifically to not play him until after the bye week. It wasn't that he didn't say he could play, it's that he explicitly said he should not play.

so, if the recommendation was to keep him out 3-4 weeks and was given 3-4 weeks ago doesnt that mean they are clearing him for week 1?

I think if Griff doesnt start week 1 that it will deflate a lot out of our locker room. I think the guys want him back and expect him back. and if he isnt ready to go that it could bring us down a notch or two.

It wasn't to keep him out 3 to 4 weeks, it was to keep him out until after the bye.

He also said the recommendation was specifically to not play him until after the bye week. It wasn't that he didn't say he could play, it's that he explicitly said he should not play.

But Andrews said specifically that he made no recommendations. I'm betting that he said something along the lines of "we have to wait & see, but as of right now, I would keep him out until after the bye week." They will reevaluate him the week before MNF, and then Andrews will give his official recommendation. If he does tell them to sit him until after the bye, I think they will sit him. The only person who will be pissed off is Griffin himself, but he'll understand, I'm sure.

Yeah, Dave Owens and Eskin have conflicting reports.

All else being equal, Owens spoke directly to Andrews and Erskin didn't; I'm inclined to side with Owens report. I don't know either reporters.

We don't know his source(s) and none have been revealed. He could be spot on or he could be fishing. The Redskins could be playing this perfectly - having a rookie head coach scratching his head until game day is a good thing.

We don't know his source(s) and none have been revealed.

Which is why I pick Owens. Assuming both are reputable reporters (lol, probably a big assumption), Owens says his source is Andrews... Eskins is someone close to Andrews that he won't even name...

Which is why I pick Owens. Assuming both are reputable reporters (lol, probably a big assumption), Owens says his source is Andrews... Eskins is someone close to Andrews that he won't even name...

I have to agree. If Eskin had talked directly to Andrews, he would have stated so and would NOT call him a "source", rock solid or otherwise. If Andrews told Owens he didn't say that, why would I be inclined to believe Eskin.

I do, however, like the idea of playing along with this just to keep Kelly guessing.

I do too.

Kevin Sheehan even threw out the idea of 'The Plan' being week 5 or after the bye, and Robert and Shanahan just trying to screw with the eagles/packers/lions/raiders.

I want Griffin on the field week 1, but I can't help but laugh at how smart/convoluting Shanahan can be; I'm sure Griffin is equally capable if asked to play along.

Still not buying it...

Reporters claim to have "rock solid" information all the time and we find out they were FOS.

Dr.Andrews did release that Eskin has not been cleared to sit since pulling his head out of his ass

What a laughable pot-stirring intro ESPN just did ... "RG3 vs Shanahan."

I guess this is what modern sports journalism has become.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.