• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Haslett is gone

At the heart of it though I don't think the team itself has viewed the situation accurately.

Every year the moves in FA seem to be made in the hopes that plugging one or two spots will get the team to the playoffs.

Ryman is right in that the talent pool is thinner than Allen and Snyder believe.

The Hatcher and Orakpo moves make sense if you have a legit contender that needs to shore up the front seven with immediate depth for one year or two.

But these players are not guys you rebuild with.

And that's why other teams are laughing at our personnel moves, they often make no sense in the context of where we are as a football team.

From the article:

"THERE’S AN OLD JOKE in the NFL that everyone is either born-again or alcoholic. Scot McCloughan isn’t born-again. And if the former 49ers general manager and onetime senior personnel executive with the Seahawks wants another shot at a front-office job, he is going to have to prove to NFL owners that he doesn’t still have a drinking problem. They will be intrigued by McCloughan because he has all but mastered the ability to determine whether and how a college football player will fit into the NFL. They will have serious questions, too. His battles with alcohol are known in league circles, but it’s an issue he has never discussed publicly. Now, considering a return to the game, he has me up to the farmhouse to spend a few days. “Write the truth,” he says."

So this could be a high risk, high reward situation.

From the article:

"THERE’S AN OLD JOKE in the NFL that everyone is either born-again or alcoholic. Scot McCloughan isn’t born-again. And if the former 49ers general manager and onetime senior personnel executive with the Seahawks wants another shot at a front-office job, he is going to have to prove to NFL owners that he doesn’t still have a drinking problem. They will be intrigued by McCloughan because he has all but mastered the ability to determine whether and how a college football player will fit into the NFL. They will have serious questions, too. His battles with alcohol are known in league circles, but it’s an issue he has never discussed publicly. Now, considering a return to the game, he has me up to the farmhouse to spend a few days. “Write the truth,” he says."

So this could be a high risk, high reward situation.

Indeed but at this point it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Yeah, I'm not arguing against the move - it's just something to consider...

I hate to break it to you guys but we are in a bad situation, Haslett underperformed, and basically destroyed this teams defence, however , he also didnt bring in any young guys with upside, in fact we have very little young talent and the prospects of an immediate turnaround are not good. we dont have anyone who looks like they would be the stud to build around, kerrigan perhaps, but thats about it. if we were gonna keep rak and move to a 4-3 we would still need a 2 gap dt and some dbs, I would take one look at all the holes on the d and knowing that the O has even bigger holes , I would take a pass. I imagine most good DC's are too

We have some solid young talent. Kerrigan, Robinson, Amerson, Breeland, Murphy and Baker are all guys who flashed this year. Yeah, Amerson took a step back but with solid coaching and the right scheme he can turn it around. I'm still not sure Phillips can't be a solid Safety in this league either, with the right coach. Compton and Jeffcoat also both looked like they could be useful.

Is it a lot? No, of course not. But it isn't nothing either.

Man if he can come in and pick us some ringers through every round I'll personally buy him a case of his drink. As long as dude isn't driving from the park lit

You mean after 16 years Snyder is finally willing to consider professional personnel guru and some additional scouts?

Say it ain't so.

With Jerry Jones taking Dallas to 12-4 and the Redskins on the brink of hiring a real GM, 2014 has been a wild ride.

Stephen Jones is the one behind the cowboys resurgence jerry wanted to take Manziel over that Guard but his scouts and his son talked him out of it

Stephen Jones is the one behind the cowboys resurgence jerry wanted to take Manziel over that Guard but his scouts and his son talked him out of it

Jerry? What's the matter? What's come over you?? Where is that ol' famous, stubborn "I'm gonna do things MY way" hard-headedness we've all grown so fond of"? C'mon man!

How great would it be to see Mike Shanahan reunited with Jim Haslett on the 49er's sideline?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.